St Petersburg - possibility of a "non-tour" tour where we can do our own thing?

hfitzger

I am interested in a Baltic cruise for our family (mom, dad, boys ages 15 and 11) for 2014. I've read about the issues regarding privately obtaining Russian visas for St Petersburg to do the city DIY versus taking a tour where the visa is included.

Are there any tour operators in St. Petersburg that offer a "non-tour" tour? I'm thinking of how some ship excursions in the Med offered transportation-only tours where you had the day to spend on-your-own. We are not necessarily interested in visiting the usual stops (Hermitage, Peterhof, Catherine's Palace, etc.) that seem to be a part of all of the tours that I have found so far...

We did a grand Mediterranean cruise this year and enjoyed doing all ports as DIY (except Izmir-Ephesus due to transportation difficulties in doing it ourselves) so we were able to see and do what we were interested in as a family instead of a set tour, or being tied to a guide all day. We enjoy taking public transportation and exploring on foot and getting a glimpse of everyday life for those who live in the places we have visited (visiting markets and grocery stores, residential neighborhoods, obscure museums, etc.)

I would love to have this same experience in Russia, but have not uncovered any easy way to do this other than attempt the lengthy and costly process (with no guarantees) of obtaining 4 visas. I just hate the idea of spending $1200+ for the entire family to take a tour of sites that we aren't necessarily interested in, just to be able to get off the ship and not being able to do any exploring on our own in a fascinating city and country.

I'd appreciate any assistance if there is a way to have the independent exploration we are seeking without the uncertainty of starting the visa process ourselves to find that we are out the $$ and still have no visa as others I have read have experienced. Thank you for your time...

What you are referring to is "on your own" transfers, where you are taken to a central point by a ship's vender, dropped off, and you have to be back at that point by a specified time for your return to the ship. You are free to wonder "on your own" during the time between the drop up, and pickup/return.

As discussed here regularly, the private tour venders mentioned here must accompany you at all times off the ship, in order for your visit to be covered by their blanket visa. You can not wonder off without your own, government issued visa.

Edited by CruiserBruce

What you are referring to is "on your own" transfers, where you are taken to a central point by a ship's vender, dropped off, and you have to be back at that point by a specified time for your return to the ship. You are free to wonder "on your own" during the time between the drop up, and pickup/return.

As discussed here regularly, the private tour venders mentioned here must accompany you at all times off the ship, in order for your visit to be covered by their blanket visa. You can not wonder off without your own, government issued visa.

Thank you for the clarification that the vendor must accompany us in order to be covered by the blanket visa. Thanks again for your help with this misunderstanding on my part.

We just did the Baltic cruise with sons of similar age (17 and 13). I understand your interest in DIY - we've done that a number of times with our sons (and they easily tire of visiting palaces and churches:p) - but I can't imagine going to St. Petersburg and not visiting places like Peterhof.

What are you interested in doing in St. Petersburg? Some of the tour operators run private group tours, and they may be able to customize something for you. Yes, you're still tied to a guide, but you're not left with getting a visa on your own.

I agree

check with some of the licensed guides on doing a custom tour for just your family

It may be the same cost as getting your own VISAS but less trouble ;)

SPB is a very large city & places of interest are spread far & wide

There was a thread not long ago on DIY in SPB you may want to see if you can find it here

Enjoy

When we did SPB a couple of years ago the ship had a DIY tour. We were dropped off in the mid town area and walked to and saw the Hermitage on our own and walked around town to Peter and Paul, etc.

We were in SPB a few weeks ago and did one of the Alla Tours for 2 days and found it to be extremely interesting. I think by not doing a tour you would miss out on so much of what the city has to offer. My OH is not always interested in museums/galleries, but thoroughly enjoyed SPB.

On our ship they offered a couple of tours where you had more time on your own, so see what the cruise ship offers, but IMHO it would be a great pity to miss something like SPB and the education it will give your children. They will have time in the other ports of call to do their own thing, so maybe for once they could become interested in something a bit more enlightening.

All the main tour companies offer private tours and will tailor make an itinerary for you.

We would love to go back to SPB and discussed the idea of spending a few days there on our own, but I think it would be fairly difficult to get around. It is a large city, around 6 million inhabitants and everything is written in syrillic.

When we did SPB a couple of years ago the ship had a DIY tour. We were dropped off in the mid town area and walked to and saw the Hermitage on our own and walked around town to Peter and Paul, etc.

We read your thread with interest, but we could not find this option on RCCL.

To the OP. We would recommend a independent, private guide. We used Gennadiy last month and several other times. He has a new mini-van and charges $30 USD an hour for 4 people. http://www.guide-petersburg.com/

We also used Tours by Locals, in Moscow. We have not used this lady, but she charges $580 US for 2 days for 4 people. http://www.toursbylocals.com/TBL/WebObjects/ToursByLocals.woa/1/wa/viewTourMonth?rm=8&wosid=T7uH1cg25Zr72VQsu0qYT0#viewDateTime . You will have to pay admission with either guide. We suggest using the SPB Card, $54 US for 2 days. You might find some helpful information on our thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1775172 .

All the major companies do private tours that you design. You can easily sign up with any one of them and tell them that you just want to wander or that you just want to see one or two things and have the rest of your time "free". They will accompany you, but they will do that for you.

We were on RCCL, Vision of the Seas, back to back cruises in July 2011. Our first stop was when we had our DIY day. It is a shame if they no longer offer it. Our second day we did a private tour to the out of town spots others have discussed. It was such a cost savings to get our Hermitage tickets online and go on our own. We got to mingle with the locals. Maybe call and see if they still offer this but just do not list it as a tour. BTW I did this with my sister, my then 14 year old son and his 14 year old friend. Boys loved the freedom and shopping in the not tourist shops.

Edited by chica

• 1 month later...
yes, many companies have an option for some kind of "self-made" tour or even some special excursions like "citizen's view", etc, so you can watch what you really want to and not the usual sights.

Thank you for the information! Are you able to recommend any tour operators?

Thank you for the information! Are you able to recommend any tour operators?

Alla offers a non tour evening which would costs about $200 per 3 hours for 8 person van. You might see if they will do this during the day. No guide - just transportation.

Edited by buggins0402