Gratuities are not expected nor required

Silver Spectre

They now charge a daily "hotel service charge"?! Silversea? You must have been traveling on Carnival, though your TA said it was Silversea.

I said the "line" not Silversea. Actually it was Holland America and in 1994 our TA at the time sent us on our first full cruise on HAL and made a big deal of the "non-tipping" on the line. I don't remember the exact words in their brochure but it certainly left us with the impression it wasn't required. It didn't take long to see people handing out gratuities at the end of the cruise to realize there was a difference between fact and advertisement/bad input.

I said the "line" not Silversea. Actually it was Holland America and in 1994 our TA at the time sent us on our first full cruise on HAL and made a big deal of the "non-tipping" on the line. I don't remember the exact words in their brochure but it certainly left us with the impression it wasn't required. It didn't take long to see people handing out gratuities at the end of the cruise to realize there was a difference between fact and advertisement/bad input.

Sorry. I now understand. I thought you were referring to the "original" Silversea (the line you started with)…. I thought you were saying something like "The person I married is not the person I am living with" -- though you would be referring to a cruise line rather than a person. Of course, in my alternative sentence, the meaning could be either a) that the person has changed a great deal or b) I am living with someone other than my spouse."

Thanks for clarifying.

Why is language so complicated? :)-

When Mrs Banjo & I first sailed on SilverSea, some years ago I might ad, the policy was that no tipping was required or expected and for the most part that was accepted by both the passengers and the crew. I even remember one time in the Main Dinning Restaurant when I asked the Maitre'D for some thing special to celebrate our wedding anniversary he refused the tip I offered. Alas, on our last cruise, while talking to current Maitre'D he told me that he will gladly accept any tips that come his way and I got the distinct impression, (although he did not explicitly say), that tipping him at the beginning of the cruise would insure better service. Oh how things have changed!

When Mrs Banjo & I first sailed on SilverSea, some years ago I might ad, the policy was that no tipping was required or expected and for the most part that was accepted by both the passengers and the crew. I even remember one time in the Main Dinning Restaurant when I asked the Maitre'D for some thing special to celebrate our wedding anniversary he refused the tip I offered. Alas, on our last cruise, while talking to current Maitre'D he told me that he will gladly accept any tips that come his way and I got the distinct impression, (although he did not explicitly say), that tipping him at the beginning of the cruise would insure better service. Oh how things have changed!

Holy moly.....tipping is generally just one of those "hot button" subjects but add the nuisance of pre-tipping and it elevates it to the "thermonuclear button". :rolleyes::D

Or, just nod if his name begins with an A.

On a bright note, happy to learn that the Italian Marcello has been demoted to head waiter.

The "begins with A" maître'd we had was absolutely fantastic and never, ever the slightest hint of service for a fee.

Or, just nod if his name begins with an A.

On a bright note, happy to learn that the Italian Marcello has been demoted to head waiter.

I'm confused about the Marcellos because we had two of them on a Spirit cruise some time ago.

One is striking looking, almost Andy Warhol-esque. Wears black framed square glasses and has grey/blond hair.

The other wasn't striking, but was around the same age as Warhol Marcello.

If this makes sense to any of you , please clarify which one is demoted.

Thank you :D

There is an Italian Marcello and a Brazilian Marcelo who is wonderful. The latter is into fitness and has a very close cropped hair cut.

Sorry to hear that the "A" maitre d' was soliciting tips.

We just won't play that game and have received wonderful service, possibly due to the positive comments we put in the comments cards, and possible due to our sparkling personalities! (LOL)

There is an Italian Marcello and a Brazilian Marcelo who is wonderful. The latter is into fitness and has a very close cropped hair cut.

Thank you, Emtbsam. We seem to remember that our favourite Marcello was very much into yoga, I think he was from Brazil.

I'm not going to mention any names or dates, That might get somebody into trouble, but it was on the Cloud. I remember particularly well because Mrs Banjo & I were unhappy where we were seated one night and the following day pressed for time to meet our shore excursion and had to rush out of lunch. He thought we were really upset, (which we were not), so when he was topside during our departure from his home city, he made it a point to come over and speak to me. We got to talking and the subject of tipping came up. I could be all wrong on my impression, but I don't think so. In any case, I do not and will never "Pre-tip"! Enough from me.

Anton_CK_RK_26May2014.jpg

Finally got it right....I hope. Not a morning for me to do big computer changes.....brain cramp I guess. Mrs. K discovered her mistake and indeed it is Antonio Mendes though officially he's the restaurant manager. :)

Edited by Randyk47