New Fee?

Classiccruiser777

We are off on the QE in February. While looking at the "Voyage Personaliser" for our cruise I came across this:

"Each ship has a number of complimentary washing machines, dryers and irons at your disposal. Washing tablets can be purchased on board."

Would someone please enlighten me as to what "washing tablets" are? Are they the soap packets in the launderettes? Is there a charge for these now? Thanks in advance.

Washing tablets are compressed laundry detergent and likely are a sort that the cruise lines prefer being used.

I take along my own dryer sheets (as those aren't available on board) which cuts down on wrinkles/ironing.

I wonder if using something like Tide Pods would be allowed.

No doubt we all have our favourite laundy detergent that we use at home, adjusted to our specific washing machine and local requlations. It makes no sense to me that Cunard would charge for laundry detergent, risking that passengers will use their own measure of various detergents. Considering the potential for damage to the oceans from high phospate detergents or damage to Cunard's washing machines from mis-measured detergent, to me it appears to be another ill conceived "revenue enhancing measure" that could be made to look good on an accountant's ledger, but the benefit is far less than the greater risk.

Salacia

CCL Stockholder

Cunard Platinum

Cunard's website is still saying that detergent is free in the laundries:

There are self service launderettes on board which are complimentary where washing machines, tumble dryers and ironing facilities are available from 7.30am until 9pm. Washing detergent is also complimentary. Alternatively, you can arrange for your laundry to be done for you.

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/fleet/laundry_prices

It's been discussed here a couple of times. apparently still free. I'm onboard QM2 now but haven't wandered into the laundry yet - I probably should. If I don't report back it's still free.

I will note as I have previously, that on Princess this summer I observed that a 75 cent fee for the machines did a lot to cut down on the sort of availability issues one sees on Cunard.

d the laundry is almost a "second home" for us!

Edith

Every cruise I take there is always a nice lady in the laundry, sitting on the chair provided who is a mine of information about the best settings for the machines and dryers. She seems to be the most contented of passengers and she appears to spend many happy hours there.

And you know, I am sure it's always the same lady. I think she is the spirit of laundries past.

David

I wonder how long it will be free? On P&O (who run Cunard) you have to purchase a pack of two washing tablets aboard if you haven't taken your own. We discovered this on Aurora during 2011, which was the first time we'd used the launderette. I hopped over from Azura to QM2 on the 4th December and bought some washing tablets on the P&O ship just in case. I've not been able to find them on Cunard, just the travel wash bottle.

• 2 weeks later...

While on QM2 over the holidays the soap packets were free. I was told by another passenger that rather than locking the laundry room at night the crew had begun removing the soap from the box on the wall instead. I kept a couple of packs in my stateroom after that (I put them back at the end).

Washing powder sachets in the container in the launderett on QE in December were free. Didn't hear anything about tablets.

Am mid atlantic on QE at the moment. Sachets are in the laundry and still free. We have brought our own just in case and because DW thinks the Cunard product is not delicate enough.:)

No doubt we all have our favourite laundy detergent that we use at home, adjusted to our specific washing machine and local requlations. It makes no sense to me that Cunard would charge for laundry detergent, risking that passengers will use their own measure of various detergents. Considering the potential for damage to the oceans from high phospate detergents or damage to Cunard's washing machines from mis-measured detergent, to me it appears to be another ill conceived "revenue enhancing measure" that could be made to look good on an accountant's ledger, but the benefit is far less than the greater risk.

Salacia

CCL Stockholder

Cunard Platinum

Whilst I do NOT agree with this 'save the earth' type explanation I do agree with using the product either supplied by or sold by Cunard.

My reasons are in my personal opinion far, far more practical and worth considering..

Water comes in all shades be it very hard, or very soft and if we live in an area where the water is hard or has additives that might require more detergent to be effective, then when we use a machine onboard a ship we only need a fraction of the soap we are used to using. By putting in too much detergent we run the very real risk of our laundry not rinsing properly. This in turn will then expose us to the very high risk of the dreaded 'dhoby rash!!!' Not nice and can be EXTREMELY uncomfortable.

Plus too much soap might create too much gunge and might cause havoc in the laundrette. Use the product supplied by the cruise company and most important.... Only put in the required amount of additive.

If we are serious about not polluting the oceans then perhaps we should stop sailing the high seas in these huge luxury liners that burn billions of tons of diesel each year..... Sorry but I feel sorry for these individuals that talk about conservation but still take holidays on a cruise ship :o;)

Whilst I do NOT agree with this 'save the earth' type explanation I do agree with using the product either supplied by or sold by Cunard.

My reasons are in my personal opinion far, far more practical and worth considering..

Water comes in all shades be it very hard, or very soft and if we live in an area where the water is hard or has additives that might require more detergent to be effective, then when we use a machine onboard a ship we only need a fraction of the soap we are used to using. By putting in too much detergent we run the very real risk of our laundry not rinsing properly. This in turn will then expose us to the very high risk of the dreaded 'dhoby rash!!!' Not nice and can be EXTREMELY uncomfortable.

Plus too much soap might create too much gunge and might cause havoc in the laundrette. Use the product supplied by the cruise company and most important.... Only put in the required amount of additive.

If we are serious about not polluting the oceans then perhaps we should stop sailing the high seas in these huge luxury liners that burn billions of tons of diesel each year..... Sorry but I feel sorry for these individuals that talk about conservation but still take holidays on a cruise ship :o;)

"Cunard Environmental Statement

Here at Cunard we take our environmental responsibilities very seriously and are committed to reducing our environmental impact. We are dedicated to preserving the marine environment in which we operate, and therefore believe it is our duty to introduce environmental practices which set a high standard of excellence and responsibility...."

:D:DDo you SERIOUSLY think that ANY cruise company would brag about the billions of gallons of fuel they burn, the CO2 that they add to the atmosphere, the amount opollutantsts that are put into the sea?

For those that want to save the planet, then I wish them luck but for those that cherry pick and simply spout fashionable words that might make them feel good then poo hoo. Hopefully I am honest to myself... I own a largish engined vehicle, I haqve a nice house with all the mod cons and I do not believe in this global warming rubbish (climate change then yes) I do not believe in global warming and therefore I have no qualms about living how I want and the best of luck to those with an opposing opinion.

I cannot wait to go on this forth coming cruise, it will be the holiday of a lifetime. We have saved for it, I deserve it and more to the point... My wife deserves it ten-fold and is going to be spoilt.. Which means I will be creating my fair share of waste :)

Here is another fact

Cruise ships represent less than 1% of the global merchant fleet yet it has been estimated that they are responsible for 25% of all waste

generated by merchant vessels.

This volume of waste produces pressures on the environment, particularly with respect to ship-generated waste disposal at home ports and ports of call. Southampton, home port for both Cunard and P&O, and a port of call for Royal Caribbean Cruises, is the focus of this study.

This paper investigates current waste management and disposal options for cruise ship generated waste and the associated impacts of this waste for ports. It is concluded that all cruise vessels should vigorously pursue a waste reduction strategy and for ports to provide adequate recycling, reduction and re-use facilities for cruise ship generated waste, optimising

use of local facilities whenever possible.

To me it is common sense that a cruise ship generates so much waste as they carry so many passengers but for a tree hugger to take this type of holiday is surely the height of hypocracy? (question)

I could understand it if you went on a large sail ship that did not have any fuel driven generators but to spend money on ships that burn in excess of 12 tonnes of fuel PER HOUR plus dump a significant amount of waste into the ocean is perhaps slightly contradicting this 'save the planet' stance?

MANY, many apologies for my rant and hopefully I am not getting to personal :o:o

glojo,

You certainly don't mince words!

Some people don't believe in evolution, some don't believe that astronauts have landed on the moon, and there are even some folk who still don't believe that the world is round. So if you don't want to believe in global warming, you are certainly within your rights. But what this has to do with soap tablets and cruise ships is beyond me.

The fact is that there is virtually no environmentally pristine way to cross an ocean, and no one is suggesting that we give up cruising or other forms of long-distance travel. But if we can minimize the harm we do, why not strive in that direction?

The important thing right now is that you are looking forward to "the holiday of a lifetime," and that it certainly will be. All of us on every side of this question wish you a glorious voyage and hope that the seas remain healthy enough to sustain voyages for countless generations to come!

The fact is that there is virtually no environmentally pristine way to cross an ocean, and no one is suggesting that we give up cruising or other forms of long-distance travel. But if we can minimize the harm we do, why not strive in that direction?

Totally 100% agree and I fear you might have misunderstood my rant...

Incidentally the last DECENT summer we experienced here in the South West of England was way back in the late 1970's and that was over 40 years, the decade when men had landed on the Moon so forgive me if I disbelief my country is doing to 'cook' :o:o

Incidentally the last DECENT summer we experienced here in the South West of England was way back in the late 1970's and that was over 40 years, the decade when men had landed on the Moon so forgive me if I disbelief my country is doing to 'cook' :o:o

We were in Cornwall two summers ago, so rest assured that you have my sympathy. But then England has always been something of a meteorological singularity!:D That said, if evidence from the rest of the world is any indication, you may yet experience summers that are very warm indeed.

Then you totally misunderstand the concept of "global warming!" :)

I think the clue must surely be in the word global and yes I accept winter's are getting milder and some countries are indeed suffering awfully from hotter weather but we are part of the globe and our summers no matter how you want to distort any figures there are available are NOT getting warmer. Like I said I TOTALLY accept some countries are suffering terribly but when an expert says there is GLOBAL warming then I am sorry but we are regularly having the 'Worse summer on record'

If we are having the worse summer on record, then we are not seeing warmer summers be that in temperature or sunshine, so yes I do indeed misundrstand the GLOBAL warming concept..

Climate change is something I accept totally, we are having big problems with sea temperatures getting warmer but if Great Britain is part of the 'Globe' then I am sorry but our summers are NOT getting warmer (unless you know different) :)

Now we are really going off topic :cool:

My bad and many apologies

I thought the experts were all now back pedalling and saying how figures were distorted and waht they were really talking about was climate change?? a huge back pedalling and a total climb down.

Not only do I not 'get it' but neither do the Met Office that talks about a disaqppointing run since 2007... Yup definitely getting warmer summers :rolleyes:

We can say that this summer is likely to be one of the wettest on record – some may argue that, as it’s already in the top 20% in records dating back to 1910, it already is one of the wettest on record.

We can also say that this year has continued a disappointing run of UK summers which started in 2007 – all of which have seen above average rainfall and, with the exception of 2009, below average sunshine hours.

However, we cannot say where this year will finish in the rankings or whether it will challenge the record set in 1912. For that final assessment, we’ll have to wait until after the end of August.

I FULLY ACCEPT we are going through aperiod of climate change and some countries are having an awful time with hotter than average weather. I am simply saying it is NOT a global situation.

way back in the 1970's we had water tankers on the streets giving out fresh water with domestic water being rashioned. Now we have households that cannot get insurance because of repeated flooding issues.

Archived