Anyone hear from Victor Bodden over the last few days

lovevacadays

We have Victor booked for our tour on Nov 17th. He had emailed me a few weeks ago asking what pier we would be arriving at. He did indicate that it looked like Mahogany Beach Pier didn't start receiving ships until the 19th so our Princess ship should still be arriving at Coxen Hole He also stated he would be sending us info about a week from our cruise. I have emailed him and haven't heard anything back over the last few days as we wanted to find out if he had heard any changes to the ship arrivals and what pier, etc.. He is usually really responsive. Not sure if the rains from Ida would have caused him any problems. We sure don't want to get there and not have a tour. We are really excited to visit this island

So, anyone hear from him over the last few days?

Tropical Storm /Hurricane Ida was passing through that area of the Western Caribbean all last week. It's possible he was busy batting down the hatches or power was disrupted. I'm sure he'll be back to you soon. Try again later this week if you haven't heard from him.

Yes, I just got an e-mail from him tonight confirming our reservation in January. He did say that they hadn't announced details about Carnival dockings (but we are on RCCL)

You may want to check your spam folder in case it accidentally went there, or drop him a quick note. He has been fantastic responding and I look forward to the tour! Please come back and give a review of what you did on your tour!

I just received an email from him tonight. He mentioned that his internet was working again for the first time (guess it was out due to rains?) He has a meeting with someone at the Carnival dock tomorrow, but said that so far it is not very good news for independent tour operators. Carnival Corp (which includes Princess, Carnival, Holland America, etc.) does not recognize any bookings other than cruise-sponsored excursions. As such, no independent tour operators will be allowed to meet their customers at the dock (a real shame after the easy way it is handled with the kiosks at the other newly remodeled Roatan dock). So, to meet your independent tour operator, you'll have to walk off the dock and up to the street to meet with your local tour operator.

Hopefully, he will get back in touch with everyone with better news tomorrow...

Tonight, I am planning on contacting those listed on Mahogany Bay's website (http://www.mahoganybaycc.com/contact-info.aspx) and let them know how unfair I think this practice is...not just for Victor, but all of "locals" who are trying to make an honest living showing off their island.

We have Victor booked for our tour on Nov 17th. He had emailed me a few weeks ago asking what pier we would be arriving at. He did indicate that it looked like Mahogany Beach Pier didn't start receiving ships until the 19th so our Princess ship should still be arriving at Coxen Hole He also stated he would be sending us info about a week from our cruise. I have emailed him and haven't heard anything back over the last few days as we wanted to find out if he had heard any changes to the ship arrivals and what pier, etc.. He is usually really responsive. Not sure if the rains from Ida would have caused him any problems. We sure don't want to get there and not have a tour. We are really excited to visit this island

So, anyone hear from him over the last few days?

I got an e-mail from him last week regarding our tour on the 20th. We'll be docking at the new pier. He said that they're still trying to work things out with Carnival about where to pick their customers up. Evidently Carnival would like people to book with them.

He has a meeting with someone at the Carnival dock tomorrow, but said that so far it is not very good news for independent tour operators. Carnival Corp (which includes Princess, Carnival, Holland America, etc.) does not recognize any bookings other than cruise-sponsored excursions. As such, no independent tour operators will be allowed to meet their customers at the dock.

Its a shame that the big money cruise folks who felt Roatan was a great Island to visit will now shun the people that live there. Very very few people will gain anything from these tens or hundreds of thousands of visitors each year and yet they will have to deal with all the trash, waste and destruction, think about it, where does all the plastics and other waste go on a small Island? I am sure they dont carry it away on the ship. People complain about big box stores putting the mom and pops out of business and then the cruise lines do the same in many already poor countries. The "lucky" one you see working probably has to support a large family while making per day little more than hourly minimum wage in the US. This should be a consideration for anyone booking a cruise. What have they done to enhance the lives of those that do not have the option of sailing away on a big shiny boat.

Thanks all. I recevied an email from him today. Looks like from one of your posts that his internet was down. We are there on the 17th of November so we will be one of the last Princess cruises docking at the old pier and able to meet him at his kiosk. He did mention the issue with the new pier. I really feel for these local operators trying to make a living and having these large corporations making it such a challenge.

I hope people really try and support them despite the bit more difficulty meeting up with their operators. I will write a review when I get back and hopefully people will write such great reviews of these local operators other cruisers will want to continue to support them.:):):):)

I hope people really try and support them despite the bit more difficulty meeting up with their operators. I will write a review when I get back and hopefully people will write such great reviews of these local operators other cruisers will want to continue to support them.:):):):)

If you pay for a cruise only tour and do not care about locals then no need to post anything, actions speak louder

When we drove by the new dock in October I noticed that it was set back from the road and figured the cruise line and the port operators would shun the local tours. Hopefully they can come to an arrangement. If not I know I'll be sending emails to Carnival expressing my disappointment, I love Roatan!

It may be a little more work to meet a local tour operator but it is always worth the effort! I hate to see the little guys shut out by the cruise lines. We are traveling to Roatan in December and are booked with Victor and won't change a thing. I hope the cruise lines can reach an agreement to give access to the people who make it worth my time to get off the ship. If I didn't want to see the local people I wouldn't be getting off the ship!

Its a shame that the big money cruise folks who felt Roatan was a great Island to visit will now shun the people that live there. Very very few people will gain anything from these tens or hundreds of thousands of visitors each year and yet they will have to deal with all the trash, waste and destruction, think about it, where does all the plastics and other waste go on a small Island? I am sure they dont carry it away on the ship. People complain about big box stores putting the mom and pops out of business and then the cruise lines do the same in many already poor countries. The "lucky" one you see working probably has to support a large family while making per day little more than hourly minimum wage in the US. This should be a consideration for anyone booking a cruise. What have they done to enhance the lives of those that do not have the option of sailing away on a big shiny boat.

I got a long e-mail from Victor last night. Looks like Carnival is not going to budge in their decision. I feel so bad for the independant operators. We had a tour booked with Victor for next week. I feel terrible but we are going to have to cancel. We are 75 and 85 years olds and one uses a walker and the other has bad legs. There's no way we could walk up a hill. Victor told me before that he would understand if we cancelled. It just upsets me so much as Victor is such a wonderful person. I sent e-mails to two of the head honchos at Mahogony Bay. I'm sure they'll end up in the waste basket.

It will be interesting to see how long it takes for an independent to come up with a nice stable water taxi that pulls up to the beach to transport folks. Maybe some cruisers can mention this. The beach, by law, is public and access by water cannot legally be restricted.

Here are two e-mail address my tour operator gave me if anyone cares to contact Carnival about this situation. I wrote both of them.

gdavis@carnival.com

director@mahoganybaycc.com

Do you know the names of the people we should address our letters to?

I am very upset over the actions of Carnival execs. and plan on writng letters. A name would be helpful. Thanks.

Do you know the names of the people we should address our letters to?

I am very upset over the actions of Carnival execs. and plan on writng letters. A name would be helpful. Thanks.

I found these on a thread entitled "Independent Tours - Mahogany Bay Cruisers"

gdavis@carnival.com (Graham Davis, Director of Port Operations) or director@mahoganybaycc.com (Michael Reimers, General Manager)

I've already fired off a couple letters. Although I have never sailed Carnival, this has been added to my list of reasons why not!

I wonder if any of us will hear back?

margarita12 I hope you still have the opportunity to read this. I haven't logged on for a few days. We booked a Best of Roatan private tour. It is $40 per person because there is two of us. I think with 4 people it is $25. You get to customize your tour. Google Victor Bodden and you should be able to bring up his website. You probably can book last minute. He is very responsive. The only time I didnt hear from him promptly was just recently when he was having trouble with his internet. All fixed now as he emailed me. You pay cash on the day of your tour.

Only two days and we are on the Crown Princess!

I found these on a thread entitled "Independent Tours - Mahogany Bay Cruisers"

gdavis@carnival.com (Graham Davis, Director of Port Operations) or director@mahoganybaycc.com (Michael Reimers, General Manager)

I've already fired off a couple letters. Although I have never sailed Carnival, this has been added to my list of reasons why not!

I wonder if any of us will hear back?

I doubt it.

I can't believe Carnival (and any others) would be so stupid, what they are planning, if it's what they end up doing, will keep me from ever going to my favorite island on one of their ships again. I hope Victor (and others) will prevail as I think they are the best way to see Roatan. I plan to email both Carnival & Mahogany Bay and tell them so, I hope you all will also.

Just back from our cruise and had a fabulous tour with Victor Bodden's tour guide Tex. We did see the new terminal. People will have to walk outside and up the road to meet tour guides. I would say it will be about a 5-10 minute walk depending on how slow/fast you walk. I really hope people will do this walk because a private tour on this island is certainly the way to go. We spoke to many who had done ship tours and although many enjoyed the tours they only got to see that little, individual slice of this island. On a private tour you really get to see so much more. We were on the south, east and west end of this island and through the old town, resort, and many neighborhood areas of this island. It was such a wonderful experience and for $40. One of the best values I've ever had on a cruise. I'm in love with this spectacularly beautiful island!

Just back from our cruise and had a fabulous tour with Victor Bodden's tour guide Tex. We did see the new terminal. People will have to walk outside and up the road to meet tour guides. I would say it will be about a 5-10 minute walk depending on how slow/fast you walk. I really hope people will do this walk because a private tour on this island is certainly the way to go. We spoke to many who had done ship tours and although many enjoyed the tours they only got to see that little, individual slice of this island. On a private tour you really get to see so much more. We were on the south, east and west end of this island and through the old town, resort, and many neighborhood areas of this island. It was such a wonderful experience and for $40. One of the best values I've ever had on a cruise. I'm in love with this spectacularly beautiful island!

How much time did you spend with your tour guide? In addition to your island tour, did you visit any particular attractions?

Archived