New Orleans Advice needed

wecamp

So we switched from the Triumph to Elation and when trying to find a hotel for our trip wasn't easy. Apparently there is some kind of music festival going on our weekend (just our luck). Wanted to stay close to the French Quarter so we could go out and not do any driving.

Everything was booked or $300 a night. Finally found the LaQuinta at not to bad a price.

I was checking out places to eat and there are so many and everyone of them are rated excellent. Any suggestions? We will be there 2 nights, and I have read about some Sunday Jazz brunches that sound nice.

I also wanted to take a buggy ride. Anyone have suggestions on that?

I was just in NO in June for 1 night and experienced the trolleys. We didn't really walk around much, my daughter wanted to go to Cafe DuMond and that was all.

Hubby and I want to have a little fun before cruise. Thanks for any suggestions.

Our favorite place for a jazz brunch is Muriel's on Jackson Square. Prices are reasonable and, unlike most brunch places, everything is cooked to order.

A block away on Decatur is where the buggy tours start. They offer a standard French Quarter tour, or you can negotiate something else with the driver.

There are dozens of great restaurants within walking diatance of your hotel. What kind of food do you enjoy? Is price an issue?

We just want to eat local, expecting to pay. I don't want to dress up to eat, so more causal. My husband has never been and he will eat anything. Unfortuntly I have always gone with my picky parents and brother.

My daughter and I ate at Mulate's. It was ok.

I had seen Muriel's, will it be crowded?

I would make reservations at Murierls.

The following are some of our favorites. They are within walking distance, or a short cab ride. They are not cheap, but not over-the-top expensive either, and you will get your money's worth.

http://www.tomasbistro.com

http://www.tommysneworleans.com

http://www.italianbarrel.com

http://www.maximosgrill.com

Thanks so much for your suggestions!

I just made reservations at Muriel's.

Sounds like the buggy rides are expensive and not that good, so I guess we will skip that.

Can't wait until April to get there!

By all means try to go to the Old Coffee Pot restaurant for some of the best bread pudding you will ever eat and a really killer bloody Mary! It is next door to Pat O'Brians on St. Peter street. About 2 blocks off of Bourbon. There is also Mother's 401 Poydras St right off S. Peters Street. They have some excellent gumbo and great Po'Boys! Lots of local frequent both places.

Sorry to jump in here, but since jgmpuma is from the area I was wondering if you would know if The Frenchman Hotel is in a good location for walking to see the French quarters, Mother's for lunch etc... And safe at night in the area.

Really having a hard time finding a hotel at a decent price.

Thanks.

Never stayed there but we pass it all the time, and it looks nice from the outside. Check Tripadvisor for reviews.

The area is safe, even at night. There is always lots of traffic, but use the same caution you would use in any city. Going to the French Quarter, stay on Decatir Street. There are people along there even late at night.

Frenchmen Street is in an area called Fauberg Marigny, a neighborhoof just north of the French Quarter. There are some great music clubs along Frenchmen. You can just walk up and down the street and listen for something you like.

All the French Quarter restaurants are within fairly close walking diatance. Mother's is in the CBD. It would be about a 20-block walk, but you can catch the Riverfront streetcar to Poydras, and it's about four blocks from there.

Download a map of New Orleans, and the geography will make more sense.

You are probably referring to Jazz Fest and it is a pretty big festival. Lots of named artists as well as jazz musicians. You might want to check who is playing the weekend you'll be there as you might want to drop in.

As far as eating goes I'm a little partial to Palace Cafe. It was a place I was frequently brought to when interviewing for jobs while in college. The Bananas Fosters is divine.

Thanks so much for your suggestions!

I just made reservations at Muriel's.

Sounds like the buggy rides are expensive and not that good, so I guess we will skip that.

Can't wait until April to get there!

About the only thing I like about the buggy rides is that the horses have pouches behind their tail which in turn keeps the streets clean. :rolleyes:

Anywho I use to go often in College as I lived in Baton Rouge but it has been about 8 years since I've been back. We had a few sorority parties at the Mardi Gras Museum which was interesting. You might want to check it out.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived