Combo snorkeling/Scuba excursion

SnowBird Cruzer

Does anyone have any thoughts on finding an excursion (mostly likely 3rd party) that would let us combine some scuba divers (really, just me) with several snorkelers?

I just got my scuba certification and want to dive on our next cruise. (March to St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Aruba and Curacao). I'd like to dive at least once, maybe twice. I'm the only scuba diver in the group though. I don't want to go off on my own twice.

So if I could arrange an opportunity for me to scuba and the rest to snorkel, that would be great. I've already contacted one vendor in St. Kitts for info.

I'm more than happy to share the trip with others cuz I don't want to pay an arm and a leg for a private excursion.

Thoughts?

Depending on the geography, this MAY be possible, but generally either snorkelers or divers will feel slighted.

What you might look for is an operator that does both excursions. Then you would be with your group right up until the tow boats set off to their sites, and re-join them immediately after. I realize this sounds almost as bad as booking separate excursions, but, considering you would be diving and they would be snorkeling, you'll not be together during the excursion itself anyhow.

Harris

Denver, CO

Someone on our excursion in St Thomas last year was talking about a friend doing a dive from shore but I can't remember what resort it was.

Congratulations on your certification. I am also from your area and if you have only been diving in Wisconsin lakes, you are in for a wonderful treat. You may want to arrange this dive at your first port because you may change your mind and want to dive in every port. I have made some great diving friends through my roll calls. Many of our spouses don't dive so there are many people looking for dive buddies.

Enjoy!!

In St. Thomas, go to Coki Beach. Pete of the Coki Beach Dive Club can take you boat diving. It's great. The others can stay at the beach, and do snorkeling from there. It's very good snorkeling.

People can also try Discovery scuba diving there. Yes, you can also do shore diving there. It's good. But the boat diving is of course better.

==

In Curacao, we went with curious2dive. They do both shore snorkeling and diving. From the same shore, I went diving further out, while the others did shore diving. We both had a great time.

For Aruba, probably can let the others take a tour or enjoy the beach, while you go boat diving. The Antila wreck has an interesting history there.

Someone on our excursion in St Thomas last year was talking about a friend doing a dive from shore but I can't remember what resort it was.

Congratulations on your certification. I am also from your area and if you have only been diving in Wisconsin lakes, you are in for a wonderful treat. You may want to arrange this dive at your first port because you may change your mind and want to dive in every port. I have made some great diving friends through my roll calls. Many of our spouses don't dive so there are many people looking for dive buddies.

Enjoy!!

Thanks for the encouragement! I've only dove in Pearl Lake in S. Beloit so far. Glad to know I can find dive buddies!

We love going to Pearl Lake. Our dive shop (MadisonnScuba) did two trips down there this summer. There is a large group up at Lake Wazee (Black River Falls) this weekend - it is even better than Pearl Lake. Not sure if you are close to Madison but we do dives every Tuesday night along with many other ones. Look up their website and come join us if you are in the area. We have many dive pros at ever dive and if you are a beginner, you will be pared up with one and it is like having a private lesson.

We love going to Pearl Lake. Our dive shop (MadisonnScuba) did two trips down there this summer. There is a large group up at Lake Wazee (Black River Falls) this weekend - it is even better than Pearl Lake. Not sure if you are close to Madison but we do dives every Tuesday night along with many other ones. Look up their website and come join us if you are in the area. We have many dive pros at ever dive and if you are a beginner, you will be pared up with one and it is like having a private lesson.

I'm in Neenah. Next Spring/Summer/Fall is a good possibility. Thanks fir the info

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

I've only dove in Pearl Lake in S. Beloit so far

omg, that's where I got my certification! That was the most miserable time...lol. I was there the last weekend it was open in October. Frickin' cold! I don't dive any more because I have issues with my ears, but will never forget getting certified! :D

As to your original question, like someone else said, its hard to please both snorkelers and divers on the same boat. The snorkeling is usually in water a bit too deep for much enjoyment.

Someone else mentioned Coki Beach. Snorkeling was okay when we were there. I would recommend either snorkeling over to the left or right of the beach - more rocks and things. The middle area seemed to be mostly sand, although there were some spots where they were growing coral, so that was interesting.

ry%3D400

• 2 weeks later...

I'll second using Curious2Dive in Curacao. Hans will pick you all up at the pier, outfit you at the shop and do a good briefing for divers & snorkelers. You will most likely go to Tugboat. Shallows for snorkelers, a shallow wreck, great growth under a pier, and often sea horses.

He can offer the best of both worlds with a single shore dive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by LindaSSF