Onshore Excursion Expectations

Freezerburnt

I see different excursions that last 3 hours or whatever that include food, drink and activity. So my question is if we do that activity do we only have 3 hours at that place or can we spend all day there? Does it vary? What is the best excursion you have ever done? How do you get the most for your money? How do you get the most out of that port?

The excursion company is going to get you back to the pier in three hours if it is billed as such. Sometimes you can leave an excursion (before returning to the ship) but you have to make your own way back to the ship (at your own expense).

If you arrange an excursion independent of the ship, you may be able to arrange a schedule that works for you (such as more independent time at a location).

Edited by Scrapnana

I see different excursions that last 3 hours or whatever that include food, drink and activity. So my question is if we do that activity do we only have 3 hours at that place or can we spend all day there?

As stated, the excursion will last for the allotted amount of time, give or take a few minutes. They stick to the schedule because that is their contract. They may have another tour after they drop you off so their time is money as is yours.

I'm sure it varies, but you could ask to leave the tour early if you want. You will not get any refund of any kind for the unused tour, and you will have to make your own way back to the ship at your expense, in plenty of time. Shore excursions are meant to give a taste of the port you are visiting; sometimes this feels like it's not quite enough time, and sometimes it feels like an eternity. ;):p:D

The best excursion we have ever done may have nothing to do with your upcoming cruise and itinerary. My advice is to post on the specific Port of Call board for each port you are visiting. You can find them here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5

Sounds like you're considering a beach excursion....most beaches are easy to do on your own without an excursion! A guidebook is what you want, to see which beaches have what you want, whether it's food/drink, or watersport rentals, restrooms, etc....

You certainly don't have to pay excursion prices for a beach day!

I see different excursions that last 3 hours or whatever that include food, drink and activity. So my question is if we do that activity do we only have 3 hours at that place or can we spend all day there? Does it vary? What is the best excursion you have ever done? How do you get the most for your money? How do you get the most out of that port?

The best way to get the most out of a port is to do some research on the port before you go. Why are you going to that port? Is there something there that you really want to see? Are you looking for history or to play?

Once you know what you want to do, the excursions will become apparent.

And don't forget, if you decide to leave the excursion, wander off on your own, and get lost or sidetracked THE SHIP WON'T WAIT FOR YOU!

(I seem to remember reading a thread or post about someone who was shocked, SHOCKED...that the ship didn't have a flexible schedule to wait for stragglers.):eek:

The best way to get the most out of a port is to do some research on the port before you go. Why are you going to that port? Is there something there that you really want to see? Are you looking for history or to play?

Once you know what you want to do, the excursions will become apparent.

I agree with this. Get yourself a guide book (you can borrow one from the library). See if there's any activities or sights you want to see or do. Go on line and google the port. I assure you many tourism sites will come up. Again, pick out what interests you. Then show your list to your significant other and anyone else who is traveling with you. Anything you agree on goes to the top of the list.

Another source of info is the cruise line website. Even if you're planning to book independently on the ship, looking at their excursions will give you some more ideas.

I do this with my hubby. I throw out interesting places and see what interests him. I already know that he doesn't want to drive while in port (but some passengers will rent a car and explore on their own).

For our last two cruises, I involved our teen. Those were repeat cruises of the previous cruise, so often we wanted to add something new. I had requested some brochures on the first of those three so I gave them to the girl with post it notes. Then the three of us looked over what she selected and then hubby added some ideas and I added some.

I then went on the websites for as many as possible (some places still don't have one, but it's always helpful to check out the places -- if they don't have a website, look in the guide book). There I'll make sure the place is open on the day of the week we're going to be in that port. I had to exclude some suggestions based on that. Also on the last cruise, we would be in one port on Christmas Day, and one on Christmas Eve. The place I offered for Christmas didn't list its holiday schedule, so I went on their Facebook page and asked. I did get a yes, we're open:) and it turned out to be a fun day. If they were closed, there was always the beach near by (which we did walk by and saw many people enjoying themselves).

We actually don't mind booking excursions through the ship, even though the majority of the time, we go out into port on our own (with a couple of reliable watches, the ship's newsletter so we don't second guess when we're to be back on board, and a cell phone -- not for the time, but to call a taxi if needed...I also research taxi companies and program into the phone ahead of the cruise). Maybe it's the excursions that we've booked, but when I compare a similar one's cost if done independently (or even with the same company), I haven't found a difference in cost. Plus, you'll get picked up from the terminal (or from the pier for a tender port) so no having to find your way into town.

If you go with an independent operator, make sure you get the cancellation policy in writing (some may charge you even if your ship doesn't get into port) and bring with you their contact info.

Definitely for a beach day, you can go on your own. You should be able to find lists of great beaches (again online or in guide books) for your port. make sure to double check at least two reliable watches against the ship's clock (some captains don't always change to local time), bring the ship's newsletter (which has the deadline for boarding as well as the number for a port agent if you run into problems). Ships will provide beach towels.

And don't forget, if you decide to leave the excursion, wander off on your own, and get lost or sidetracked THE SHIP WON'T WAIT FOR YOU!

(I seem to remember reading a thread or post about someone who was shocked, SHOCKED...that the ship didn't have a flexible schedule to wait for stragglers.):eek:

And very important, TELL THE GUIDE that you are leaving. It's very annoying for everyone in the group if you disappear and they are waiting for your return. (There is a thread on that as well.) There are places in the world where the guide won't allow you to leave for security reasons.

We almost never do a ship excursion. We either do private torus, mainly arranged thru the Cruise Critic Roll Call or just go off on our own

I agree with Paul. For most ports, I like to do private tours. A great resource is the Ports of Call section of Cruise Critic's Forums. You can get a lot of information there and good recommendations. Not only are they typically less crowded, they are typically cheaper.

• 4 weeks later...

Freezerburnt, To answer your questions: As a rule, you will be taken from the Ship's Dock to the place of the 'Excursion' by a Mini-van or large Bus. It will then bring you back. You could abandon your group at any time I suppose. 2. Yes, it varies..if excursion is within walking distance to the Dock you certainly could hoof it back by yourself, but some Docks are in genuine Industrial Zones...no walking back is possible. 3.Best excursion was to cross Nuku Hiva by Landrover. 4. Best 'bargain' is to walk off the Dock and tell the Cabby where you want to go...if you know wuzzup. 4. Getting most out of a Port is to read a lot about it on TripAdvisor or LonelyPlanet.com first.

I found a site that does independent tours where we are going, I just wasn't too sure if I should trust it or not. But it does seem like more experienced cruisers use the independent tours and such. I may try this and save money.

If you book independent tours, make sure to research them on a site such as TripAdvisor (a sister site to Cruise Critic). We've done ship's tours (where they've done the research for you and assume responsibility for most things that could go wrong) and independent tours arranged through our roll calls. The experience varies - most tours of both types are great. One of the independent tours that our last roll call arranged was a 'no show', so people were very disappointed. I would never pay for a tour in advance unless it's a cruise ship sponsored tour - you have no guarantee that you'll get what was advertised and often have no recourse for a refund or damages if something goes wrong. Independent tours MAY be less expensive, but not necessarily - again, do your research.