Skip the line tickets necessary off season?

pompeii

We will be spending 2 days in Rome post-cruise from Dec. 05-07. First time to Rome so we will be visiting the biggies, the Coliseum, Pantheon, and Vatican City. How important is it to prepurchase our tickets that time of year so we can skip the lines? I was hoping that maybe lines would be minimal since it's off season? Or are they never minimal ;)?

I've been in Rome a few times in late November/early December.

I'd say you could get away with not purchasing any tickets for the Colosseum ahead of time, if you just want admission. The lines are definitely shorter, and if the line is long-ish at the Colosseum ticket kiosk, you can go to the nearby Palatine Hill entrance and get the same ticket there where the lines are always shorter.

However, if you want one of the special Colosseum tours (the underground one, for example), it's best to get your ticket in advance as there are a limited quantity available.

For the Vatican museum, I truly believe it is crowded all year long. It goes from 'packed' to 'very packed'. :eek: I would suggest that you at least pre-purchase the basic ticket for the museum, which usually cuts the wait substantially. You do have to select a time. Best place to purchase is directly through the Vatican, but some people have recently reported issues getting the transaction to complete -- helps to try a different credit card, or perhaps a different browser.

The Pantheon is free -- no ticket required. You can rent an audioguide there or bring your own guidebook or podcast (Rick Steves has one you can download for free.) It tends to be most crowded at mid- to late-morning in my experience.

Thank you for the insights - very helpful! I'm glad to hear that the lines will be less in the winter, and we will definitely get our tickets for the Vatican, at least, ahead of time. I read about the underground tour of the Colosseum but it seemed expensive at €95. Does that sound about right? It sounds interesting, but is it worth that?

Depends on who you ask. I think it is sort of the "hot ticket" at the moment being relatively new. Just like Palazzo Valentini was the "it" new thing a couple of years ago...

Personally, I find the regular interior visit to the Colosseum satisfying, as well as leaving time to walk around the exterior.

• 4 weeks later...

I was at the Vatican in late November and it was pretty well packed in. In the Sistine chapel we had only 15 minutes to look before we were moved on, and we were on a pricey guided tours with tix.....We did, however, get to see the 2 Popes....not many people have. The old Pope was on his balcony and the new Pope was walking around talking with someone in his garden....