Leaving the Secure Cruise Ship Dock Area in Belize?

globe9

The wife and I will be in Belize in October on the Carnival Breeze. We don't want to take a Carnival sponsored excursion as we're not big on 5+ hour long tours and had planned on just taking a water taxi to Caye Caulker. The wife has now nixed this idea as since it's a tender port, she feels like she'd be stressed the whole time about getting back to the ship on time.

We figure we'll hang around the Cruise ship port area with the shops & restaurants. A coworker suggested we leave the secured area where the shops/restaurants are and go across to the street to the locals market for authentic art and crafts etc. This sounds good to me, but the wife is concerned about our safety.

Is there a local market across the street from the cruise ship secured area? Is it directly across the street, so therefore not too long a walk? Is it safe? Since, it's a local market, will I need to change currency to buy things. We love collecting art from our travels, so I'm hoping this is a good idea. Has anyone been to this market? Is is worth the walk over there?

We did Caye Caulker last time and in order to catch out boat, we had to walk out of the cruise dock compound and about 3 blocks away. While it was hot, we did not feel at all threatened or in danger of our safety. We go again in two weeks and are planning to wander around a bit outside of the compound, so I'm not sure when you are traveling, but I can let you know how it goes in about 3 weeks when we are back!

Area immediately around the tender pier/ Tourism Village is safe. What freaks people out are the presence of excursion hawkers, who may be a bit persistent but usually leave you alone with a friendly wave of "No Thanks". We say the crafts market is across the street, but technically is about a block away on the other side of the street (still Fort street at that point). But you can't miss it. Definitely lower prices and sometimes more selection than inside the Tourism Village. Just make sure what ever you purchase was made in Belize. Great wooden bowls and carvings.

• 2 weeks later...

We walked a few blocks outside of the "safe" cruise terminal area. we're approached by some guy who gave us a driving tour of the area. Stopped at a market and café. We had a good time, it's a poor area but we didn't feel unsafe. Had 3 children under age 9 with us.

Roughly 300,000 tourists went to Belize in 2016 and I am living proof one returned home alive.

And that has what to do with the fact that Belize City is a dump?

Millions of tourists visited the United States in 2016, yet how many of them strolled around frivolously through places like Camden, NJ or Gary, IN, or any number of seedier areas in major cities across the country?

Now that might be a tad hyperbole, as I would wager that some of the sketchier neighborhoods in Chicago, St. Louis, Baltimore, New Orleans etc. etc. etc. may be on average more dangerous than Belize City. However, it does deserve noting that Belize City isn't exactly the safest town, or what one might expect to be reasonably safe being that so many cruises make it a port-of-call.

Yes, chances are walking around Belize City as a cruise visitor during the day might lead one to only being street hassled a little bit, but one ought naught minimize the necessity to be a little extra aware of one's surroundings and recognize when their Spidey-sense is tingling.

The area just outside of the tender/cruise tourist village/heading to the local market is plenty fine. Walking aimlessly around greater Belize City.... The question is: Why would someone want to walk around Belize City when there are so many more interesting things to do on excursions in the surrounding area? To see how the locals live?

Belize City is a jumping off point.

And that has what to do with the fact that Belize City is a dump?

Millions of tourists visited the United States in 2016, yet how many of them strolled around frivolously through places like Camden, NJ or Gary, IN, or any number of seedier areas in major cities across the country?

Now that might be a tad hyperbole, as I would wager that some of the sketchier neighborhoods in Chicago, St. Louis, Baltimore, New Orleans etc. etc. etc. may be on average more dangerous than Belize City. However, it does deserve noting that Belize City isn't exactly the safest town, or what one might expect to be reasonably safe being that so many cruises make it a port-of-call.

Yes, chances are walking around Belize City as a cruise visitor during the day might lead one to only being street hassled a little bit, but one ought naught minimize the necessity to be a little extra aware of one's surroundings and recognize when their Spidey-sense is tingling.

The area just outside of the tender/cruise tourist village/heading to the local market is plenty fine. Walking aimlessly around greater Belize City.... The question is: Why would someone want to walk around Belize City when there are so many more interesting things to do on excursions in the surrounding area? To see how the locals live?

Belize City is a jumping off point.

Has nothing to do with Belize City is a dump you're just pulling stuff out of thin air. Go further Inland or go up the coast it's your trip do what you want

The title of the thread is: "Leaving the Secure Cruise Ship Dock Area in Belize" -- in re the OP's statement of "We figure we'll hang around the Cruise ship port area with the shops & restaurants. A coworker suggested we leave the secured area where the shops/restaurants are and go across to the street to the locals market for authentic art and crafts etc. This sounds good to me, but the wife is concerned about our safety.

Is there a local market across the street from the cruise ship secured area? Is it directly across the street, so therefore not too long a walk? Is it safe?

-------------------------------------

It's not exactly clear how your statement of "returning home alive from Belize" has any direct relevance to the topic.

Are you trying to dispute that Belize City isn't safe? To do so would be a disservice to those that frequent this board looking for accurate info. I will direct you LINK HERE so that you may also be informed about "Safety in Belize City".

The title of the thread is: "Leaving the Secure Cruise Ship Dock Area in Belize" -- in re the OP's statement of "We figure we'll hang around the Cruise ship port area with the shops & restaurants. A coworker suggested we leave the secured area where the shops/restaurants are and go across to the street to the locals market for authentic art and crafts etc. This sounds good to me, but the wife is concerned about our safety.

Is there a local market across the street from the cruise ship secured area? Is it directly across the street, so therefore not too long a walk? Is it safe?

It's not exactly clear how your statement of "returning home alive from Belize" has any direct relevance to the topic.

Are you trying to dispute that Belize City isn't safe? To do so would be a disservice to those that frequent this board looking for accurate info. I will direct you LINK HERE so that you may also be informed about "Safety in Belize City".

You might best be served by controlling your paranoia. The link you quote States specifically that tourists are not targeted reread that stuff before you post it

Belize City is a working city....it is not a TOURIST destination or vacation destination. It has factories and office buildings, etc. It is the only "city" in Belize. The rest of the country is dotted with tiny villages, and jungle. It is a country preserviing nature and does not want to be a developed tourist spot like many other ports. You go to Belize City in order to get transportation out to see the real country - Mayan ruins, historic sites, caves, rivers, jungle, or take a boat out to one of the coastal islands.

BC is certainly not a tourist city but does have enough for a tourist to occupy a few hours. There are a variety of close by tours easily accessed from BC. The Museum of Belize is small but well done. St Johns cathedral (smallish) and the light house the Maritime Museum and coastal zone museums are also available.

"THE U.S. DEPARTMENT OF STATE HAS ASSESSED BELMOPAN AS BEING A HIGH-THREAT LOCATION FOR CRIME DIRECTED AT OR AFFECTING OFFICIAL U.S. GOVERNMENT INTERESTS."

Not sure what the US is saying about Belmopan. However Belmopan is the capital of Belize and it is not a tourist destination at all. It is far inland. You may drive thru on a tour to caves.