Question for past river cruisers

dcruisers

We have been on many ocean cruises but need help with our first river cruise. We are going on our first river cruise (Viking Grand Europe)early Sept.

Will capris, nice jeans or shorts be acceptable for excursions? I know when we were in Italy, we could not have our shoulders bare if we were going into churchs. I did notice many wearing jeans in Italy.

Also, do passengers wear their "excursion" clothes to dinner if there isn't time to change?

Has anyone purchased prepaid visa cards to use in Europe? Since my Visa credit card has been hacked 2xs in the last year, and my husband's Mastercard was hacked too, I would like to leave credit card and my debit card at home.

I appreciate all the info I get from CC and look forward to hearing from those experienced river cruisers.

Thanks

I explored the option of prepaid Visa or MC for a gift and could not find them available in Euro, which is of course a requirement to use in Europe.

We go shower and change after a day in port and like to dress a bit for dinner. DH wears nice slacks and shirt, I generally opt for slacks and a pretty top or similar. Some are more dressy and some more casual.

For daytime, we choose clothing based on our activity, destination and the weather. If you have a question about shorts being allowed at all venues you will visit, simply ask the CD and they can advise.

For September I would pack some layers in case the weather is cooler than expected. I would pack capris.

We have not been on Viking but I would expect the same as we experienced on AMA and Avalon in terms of dress for dinner.

We have been on many ocean cruises but need help with our first river cruise. We are going on our first river cruise (Viking Grand Europe)early Sept.

Will capris, nice jeans or shorts be acceptable for excursions? I know when we were in Italy, we could not have our shoulders bare if we were going into churchs. I did notice many wearing jeans in Italy.

Also, do passengers wear their "excursion" clothes to dinner if there isn't time to change?

Has anyone purchased prepaid visa cards to use in Europe? Since my Visa credit card has been hacked 2xs in the last year, and my husband's Mastercard was hacked too, I would like to leave credit card and my debit card at home.

I appreciate all the info I get from CC and look forward to hearing from those experienced river cruisers.

Thanks

Compared to ocean cruises, river cruise wear is much more casual. No formal nites so no ball gowns and tuxs. Men can wear a jacket on Captain dinner nite but a long sleeved dress shirt and tie would be ample. I take black pants and beige linen pants and lots of tops, pashminas, necklaces (costume) and in a blink of an eye, you have a new outfit to wear to dinner.

yes many religious sites require legs covered men and women and shoulders. Throw a scarf or pashmina into a bag and you are ready to go. We bought cargo pants with zip off legs at Costco for hubby and they were handy...pants for the religious sites, then zip off the bottoms and viola,shorts.

You almost always have time for a shower and change between shore excursions and meal but if not, day wear would be quite ok altho not shorts...not that it isn't allowed but I think you might feel out of place.

Been on AMA and Scenic and only once saw a man with shorts on in the dining room at dinner at dinner. Most people change after the daily excursion. Leave the jacket and even tie at home. Most men wore collared shirts, golf or dress, and slacks to dinner even the Captain's dinner. Some did wear a jacket must most did not. Ladies, nice top and slacks/skirt or a dress totally acceptable. We cruised both years in September, mid to late, and found that packing a couple of pair of capris was enough as we mostly wore long pants because of the coolness in the morning and evening. Definitely plan to wear layers which you an shed as the day wears on. Jeans, shorts, capris are accepted everywhere but as OP stated, have something to cover shoulders and knees in major churches. Check the weather forecast of course before you leave home as Mother Nature is known to have a mind of her own!

I agree with all the above - casual is the way to go on RCs! (Also think that's becoming the way on ocean cruises! although you still do have the "dress-up" people!)

Last October was our first RC - fell in love with it! - and DH brought a sports jacket - OK it was my suggestion! He wore it with a tie to the Captain's dinner and then it remained on the hanger!! Most men simply wore nice pants - and some jeans - and a collared shirt. Some women "dressed" a bit - but it was more like a fancier top, jewelry and/or a scarf. On our cruise I thought it odd that the night that many people dressed-up a little more (and still nothing like an ocean cruise) was when there was a pre-dinner cocktail party for former passengers! (Wondered if they wanted to stand out as former passengers???) People were dressed better for that than the Welcome or Farewell dinners!

As far as showering and changing for dinner - I think we had time every day after the excursion to do so. I do remember one evening walking tour that was right after dinner so those who were going came dressed for the tour - i.e. I wore walking shoes as opposed to sandals. But I also think a lot will depend on your itinerary. Unlike the 5pm/6pm port departures on an ocean cruise, many of the river departures are much later and combined with a 7/7:30pm dinner it allows for an after-dinner walk/drink on shore - again depending on the port.

Have a GREAT time!!!!

Men can wear a jacket on Captain dinner nite but a long sleeved dress shirt and tie would be ample. I take black pants and beige linen pants and lots of tops, pashminas, necklaces (costume) and in a blink of an eye, you have a new outfit to wear to dinner.

6 river cruises so far and have seen very few sport coats and less than a handful of ties, total. DH took a sportcoat first time and never again.

A nice button down shirt is appropriate for the Captain's cocktail party IMO and IME. I would leave the ties at home.

Did my first river cruise with dad last year. He wore chinos and cotton long of short sleeved shirt to dinner each night, no tie. I wore capris, shorts linen trousers during the day, with a top and a fleece or cardi, always take a layer with you! I changed each evg, just cause I like to, but only into some slightly dressier trousers or a summer dress and some slightly dressy sandals. As a doyenne of ocean cruising with a wardrobe of dresses to match, I enjoyed the far more relaxed approach on the river. And it certainly made for less dry cleaning when I got home!

Was on the same exact cruise last July. I believe the prepaid visa cards are for only USA purchases. The only thing I can suggest is cash and purchase euros here or at the airport terminals.I would suggest capris, jeans or shorts but check temps for September.

Sometimes we would get back from excursions late and head to dinner with what we had on. If there is no limitation in time everyone dressed resort casual for dinner. I would wear capris and shirt that would cover arms(cool in dining room) and dressier flip flops. No one was about jewels,stoles, cocktail dresses or ties.....Yuck! Loved this trip and so will you!

Was on the same exact cruise last July. I believe the prepaid visa cards are for only USA purchases. The only thing I can suggest is cash and purchase euros here or at the airport terminals.I would suggest capris, jeans or shorts but check temps for September.

Sometimes we would get back from excursions late and head to dinner with what we had on. If there is no limitation in time everyone dressed resort casual for dinner. I would wear capris and shirt that would cover arms(cool in dining room) and dressier flip flops. No one was about jewels,stoles, cocktail dresses or ties.....Yuck! Loved this trip and so will you!

I personally would advise against exchanging cash for Euro at airport or even at banks. In addition to the hassle factor, you get less for your money.

An ATM card is the best way to get Euro, hands down.

Also, Viking must be a lot more casual than AMA or Avalon as I never saw ladies in flip flops (or the equivalent) at dinner. Most passengers were smartly dressed on our cruises in the dining room. On AMA, the specialty restaurant was stunning and guests took it up a notch.

Also, Viking must be a lot more casual than AMA or Avalon as I never saw ladies in flip flops (or the equivalent) at dinner. Most passengers were smartly dressed on our cruises in the dining room. On AMA, the specialty restaurant was stunning and guests took it up a notch.

It also likely has to do with the time of year. If I recall correctly your AMA cruise was in November? Not many flip flops would be packed for a cold weather cruise.

It also likely has to do with the time of year. If I recall correctly your AMA cruise was in November? Not many flip flops would be packed for a cold weather cruise.

What is the definition here of "flip flops" ? There were many, many women who wore sandals ( some might call them flip flops) for dinner. As Oysterdam noted, it is now warm and there are more open-type shoes worn on these cruises.

That is why I said "or the equivalent". We traveled on the rivers in November (3 river cruises) and December (the other 3) to Europe as that is our preference. The majority of passengers on our cruises dressed nicely for dinner. Some were more casual but they were in the minority.

If I were packing for a warm weather cruise, as I will be in October in the Med, I will not be packing flip flop type of shoes for dinner. And the ship we are sailing on is also casual dress with no formal nights or similar.

Thank you for all the great info and suggestions!

I think I will be able to pack better for our trip. It is amazing what a pair of black slacks and a nice top with fun jewlery can do for evening!

However, both DH and I are not sure what we will do for credit card. We will have cash and plan to get euros before we leave. I do have a credit card -the same one that was hacked-that has a pin. I used it in Italy and was able to use ATM. We also checked on Rick Steves (the TV travelor) cite and he doesn't recommend debit cards. So, we are still trying to figure out what we want to do.

It goes without saying flip flops in winter would be a no go.

But....summer trips....yes there were flip flops! Bejeweled, colorful and flip flops with heels! Worn at dinner with nice capris and summer dresses. NO rubber $1.00 flip flops but flip flops none the less on Viking river cruises!

It "was" appropriate because in China(humid & hot) as well as in europe(warm) it fit the bill!

No one wore suits and ties but resort casual. There was a handful that tried the cocktail wear but they felt out of place and amped it down on both trips. No scruzzies but nice! Very appropriate and practical:D

Archived