Livorno to Florence

We are looking at doing a tour into Florence to se the Uffizi Gallery/Museum later this month.

Rather than taking the "Florence on your own tour" does anybody out there know if its easy to get to Florence by train from Livorno.

many thanks

Shipshape?

We are looking at doing a tour into Florence to se the Uffizi Gallery/Museum later this month.

Rather than taking the "Florence on your own tour" does anybody out there know if its easy to get to Florence by train from Livorno.

many thanks

Shipshape?

We are fairly intrepid DiYers and have done Pisa independently from Livorno by train but that's a much shorter journey. We looked at doing Florence by train too but decided against it based on the journey time, possibly having to change trains on some services, frequency and building in a pretty large margin to get back in case of unforeseen problems. But I'm sure it's quite doable and I've read of many who have done Florence independently. I guess it's all down to personal comfort margins - and what else you might like to whilst in the city.

You probably have to shuttle from the berth into Livorno, walk about a mile or get a bus to the railway station - and factor that into the return. We felt it would eat into the time we had in Florence to an extent we didn't want. So, we've always settled for the Florence on Your Own option to give us maximum time in the city although I concede these kind of transfers seem quite pricey for what they are.

But check the trains out to assess if you think it's feasible.

hhtps:/www.trainline.eu/trains/livorno-centrale/firenze?gclid=CKy40_LIptQCFdTnGwodQ-0OJw&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CJv05PPIptQCFeER0wodkX0Beg

If you can though I would look into pre-booking tickets for the Uffizzi - last time we were there the queues were enormous! Enjoy Florence - it's a wonderful city.

many thanks

Shipshape?

I agree with kruzseeker in doing the Florence on your own excursion.

Florence is about 60 miles from Livorno so you need to factor 3 hours travel time plus at least an hour contingency.

At least if you do the tour transfer, which I believe is quite reasonable, you can't miss the ship's departure time.

I've caught the train from Livorno to Florence twice and always found it perfectly straightforward to do. If you Google the train times beforehand, then you know the last train you can get to get back. I always allow for an hour and a half or more to get back to port from the station and tend to aim for the last train but one. There are direct trains and some lines run a shuttle bus from the port to the station and back again. Try and leave as early as possible to get to Florence for about 10:30 to 11ish. Hope that helps

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk