December Mississippi River Weather

BeachTunes

Hello From Canada!

We will be cruising from New Orleans to the Caribbean in early December and can't wait! We've been on several cruises in the past but have always embarked in more consistently warmer locations like Florida and Puerto Rico.

We know NOLA can be cooler in December but are wondering what to expect for our sea day to the Gulf of Mexico on December 6th. The rest of our cruise will be in the Caribbean. Our plan is to pack some layers knowing the pool might not be an option for the first day at sea. We simply want to be prepared but also want to avoid overpacking!

Any input on southbound Mississippi River cruising attire in December would be appreciated!

Thanks everyone! :)

It's usually very nice weather in December except when a cold front is coming through. It may be in the 60s to 70s for a week or 2 and then a cold front will come through and it may drop to the 30s or 40s for a few days and then go right back up.

The 3 or 4 day ahead weather forecasts are usually pretty accurate about what the temperature will be but not as accurate about the chance of rain.

Thanks everyone!

I'll play it by ear when it comes to packing and will check forecasts a few days prior. Light layers are now on the list. I'm so excited I want to start packing now! LOL!

At least the December temperature in NOLA won't be as cold as it will be here in Canada! :)

Edited by BeachTunes

The original poster is from Toronto, so the coldest NOLA day is going to seem pretty darn mild to a person from Canada. Even if the predicted weather is considered cold by NOLA standards of 40 degrees Fahrenheit in the evening you don't really need to pack parkas and snow pants. I would focus on layers to get you through the interim period till you hit the warmer parts of the Caribbean. You can also just avoid the outdoor areas of the ship till then.

Cold is a relative term. I worked for a while in Minnesota and couldn't believe how many days I still had to go to work in the snow and cold. :D