Reduced Law Enforcement

Billys9319

April 06, 2005

This Public Announcement is being issued to alert U.S. citizens to the deterioration in recent weeks of local law enforcement in Cancun caused by a persistent shortage of municipal funds to pay for police and public services. Police responsiveness to emergency calls and investigation of crimes has been severely impaired, and the U.S. Consulate in Merida has received several reports of petty corruption and extortion aimed at U.S. travelers. This Public Announcement supplements the Announcement issued on January 26 and it expires on May 31.

Click here for more info.

Wow! Very interesting info!

I knew the extortion, etc. is fairly common in Mexico (I grew up in Tucson, AZ, close to the Mexico border), but didnt think it had gotten THAT bad in the touristy areas. Very sad really. Mexico is so beautiful, and I know all of the announcements and warnings (while 100% valid) have got to be hurting their tourism.

Thanks for the info Billy!

• 4 months later...

I was there in May and it seemed the same as always. We don't rent cars, however. We only take taxis that our resort has waiting for guests and use their free shuttle. The bus system is also fine to use (and very cheap). I believe most of the problems occur when tourists rent cars and are pulled over by police for "tickets" (bribes).

Archived