how do singles avoid eating alone on norwegian?

sfomike

i am coming up on my 3rd cruise with norwegian. i have enjoyed the cruise line except that i have practically always had to dine alone in the evening. i love travelling alone but really need some people time in the evening. since norwegian is all about doing it "your way", i have yet to encounter a table of travellers that enjoy open dining with different people every night. any suggestions? this has only occurred on the cruises i have taken on norwegian. i would like to find a way to solve this. help!

We are always asked if would like to share a table - which we do. Also - do you attend the singles events on the ship? That is a great way to meet other solo travelers. The studios in the ships that have them also have a lounge where the studio guests can gather. Join your RollCall - find your ship and the your sail date - you can "meet" other solo travelers before you even board

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=110

Edited by CapeCodCruiser

Mike,

My sister had the same problem on Norwegian. Don't have a solution for you. She said she felt like the ugly girl at the prom without a date. :D I've had open dining on HAL and never sat by myself. Other passengers were very welcoming, including solos, couples, and family and friends groups sailing together.

Roz

Things may vary a bit on different NCL ships, with the newer ships being more "solo friendly" in this regard. But I would say, if you want to dine with others, you need to NOT rely on the hostess or maitre'd to make that happen. In other words, you generally need to find your own dining mates. As others suggest, join the roll call, attend the singles gathering, hang out in bars or in the solo/studio lounge if your ship has one, etc. :-)

Did you tell the maitre'd that you would like to share a table. Although we are 2 and not one, we always do that and almost always share a table - sometimes with winners and sometimes not as lucky. You have to be proactive.

DON

I travel with my husband, and we thought we'd share a table. On the first night we said, we want to share, and we waited. And waited. And waited.

It seems, nobody cares to talk to others at dinner.

We finally gave up, and got a table for two.

I'm surprised as they always asked us "do you want a table for 2 or a larger table?" And if they don't ask you....tell them you want to be seated at a table with others. You'd think they'd ALWAYS ask a solo if they wanted to dine at a table with others.

Edited by marco

I travel solo. I was always asked on NCL if I wanted to join a table or eat solo. I chose NCL back at the beginning because I was NOT forced to be at table with a bunch of strangers I did not choose to be with.

You need to be a little more assertive - tell the Maitre' D that you want to be seated with others. Now, you may have to wait until more people who want a large table are assembled or you may be seated at a table right away. If you don't want to eat solo, you should not have to.

i am coming up on my 3rd cruise with norwegian. i have enjoyed the cruise line except that i have practically always had to dine alone in the evening. i love travelling alone but really need some people time in the evening. since norwegian is all about doing it "your way", i have yet to encounter a table of travellers that enjoy open dining with different people every night. any suggestions? this has only occurred on the cruises i have taken on norwegian. i would like to find a way to solve this. help!

Since most of the time the host/hostess doesn't ask folks if they want to share, we take the initiative and ask for a 'sharing' table. We have met some very interesting people this way since there are always others who also enjoy sharing.

I travel solo. I was always asked on NCL if I wanted to join a table or eat solo.

It is interesting how people's experiences differ. I've been aboard NCL over 50 nights and I only recall two or three occasions when they asked if I wanted to share a table (I didn't).

I suppose what this proves is that NCL is very inconsistent in this regard. ;)

Edited by mtwingcpa

I had the same solo experience on my one cruise with NCL, the Jewel. It was a bum experience trying to share a table. Asking for a shared table the first night, I was left alone seated at a table that was supposed to be filled, until I notices that another nearby table was being filled oblivious of me. It didn't get better. My solution is to avoid NCL as a solo traveler. No problem with RCI or Princess with either their versions of anytime or traditional dining. NCL emphasis on separate dining doesn't appeal to me.

Did you tell the maitre'd that you would like to share a table. Although we are 2 and not one, we always do that and almost always share a table - sometimes with winners and sometimes not as lucky. You have to be proactive.

DON

On our recent Gem cruise we regularly asked to be seated with others - only once it ten nights were we successful. The hostesses repeatedly advised that couples and small groups never wanted to share. I suppose it might be, at least in part, because NCL's Freestyle concept largely attracts people who do not want to have the experience of dining with others. We have never experienced that attitude on ships of other lines.

Go to the Guest services desk and sign up for the " Dining with an Officer program " Or go to your Cruise Critic Meet And Greet were the group coordinator can sign you up.

Some singles may also be at the M&G .:D

Check out your Roll Call to make some C.C. friends on your cruise. :)

Teppanaki has 10 0r 12 seat per chef group dinning.

Murder mystery diner is a group thing.

Edited by biker@sea

Highly recommend using a different cruise line. As a single male I had this same problem on several cruises I was on as an enrichment speaker (remember when NCL offered entertainment other than hairy leg contests) and I only was able to get two shared tables out of 21 evenings . Most NCL passengers seem to be couples who are afraid of meeting new folks or gangs of 6-10 who could care less about inviting a stranger into their midst.

You could not give me a free cruise on NCL for that problem plus a number of others that I will not speak about at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...
I asked for a group every night- ate alone every night. It sucked.. I even stopped in during the day to talk to them about it.

That happened to us - in spite of continual requests, we only shared once in ten nights. I think NCL cruisers are either afraid of having to talk with new people or possibly believe that "Freestyle" means you must not mingle. The lack of interaction, combined with the chaotic service and poor MDR food quality, puts NCL on our "do not sail" list.

i am tending to think like you about norwegian. i hate to miss some good deals but i like having my people time in the evening and feel alone if it doesn't happen. i think the freestyle cruising makes people not want to be bothered with meeting other people. i will continue to complain and see what happens on this upcoming cruise.

That happened to us - in spite of continual requests, we only shared once in ten nights. I think NCL cruisers are either afraid of having to talk with new people or possibly believe that "Freestyle" means you must not mingle. The lack of interaction, combined with the chaotic service and poor MDR food quality, puts NCL on our "do not sail" list.

Same reason why I'd never sail with them even for free. Having to go to solo gatherings just to find dining company is not for me. That's why I stick with a line that offers traditional dining and I always get my requested table for 8 or 10. That way I'm assured of dining companions.