Looking for snorkeling recommendation...

CaribbeanBound

We did an excursion through Coral Breeze. We got on a boat at the port, did the Shark/Ray Alley portion, snorkel at the reef, and then went to Caye Caulker for lunch and some time to explore the island and beach on our own. Then we hopped on the boat and went back to port. It was a full, busy day, but AMAZING!

If you are looking to have a stingray experience like Stingray City where they pick up the rays and rub your back, play with them, etc, this was not that excursion for us. These were wild rays coming in for food. They weren't looking to be held, petted, or kissed, but would tolerate us and brush up against us in exchange for food. The sharks were the same way. It was more natural to us. The rays at Stingray City were definitely an awesome experience, but they were more tame than in Belize.

I can't say enough about the snorkel experience. The water was clear, the ocean life was amazing and there were no other boats around while we were there. I saw things that I haven't seen on any other snorkel trip and I can't wait to go back!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Do not use Shore Excersioneer or Spalsh Wave Tours for any trip or excersion. I was lied to about the trip we booked and then while given a discount by the tour operator, Shore Excersioneer has given me nothing and does not know the difference between Coral Gardens and Hol Chan Cut.

• 2 weeks later...

Just did the ships tour to Rondezvous Cay. We've snorkeled worldwide probably between 30 and 50 different times. The snorkeling at Rondezvous Cay was good. Normal fish with lots of different types of coral ...more types than we saw at the Great Barrier Reef or anywhere else. Colorful fans too. Didn't feel any current, waves weren't bad, we were allowed to free dive while snorkeling. The very small island/atoll was gorgeous (reminded us of the South Pacific) and after snorkeling we sat in the water drinking 9oz Belikin beers for $3 each.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just did the ships tour to Rondezvous Cay. We've snorkeled worldwide probably between 30 and 50 different times. The snorkeling at Rondezvous Cay was good. Normal fish with lots of different types of coral ...more types than we saw at the Great Barrier Reef or anywhere else. Colorful fans too. Didn't feel any current, waves weren't bad, we were allowed to free dive while snorkeling. The very small island/atoll was gorgeous (reminded us of the South Pacific) and after snorkeling we sat in the water drinking 9oz Belikin beers for $3 each.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A couple of questions....

How long did you get on the island and how much actual snorkeling time did you get?

Was there any food available and how much was it?

Thanks!

Here is my review on it. It should pop up right at post #63.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=40766658#post40766658

Let me know if you have any other questions. It really was a great day!

Waves were not big, but you could definitely feel the current pushing you back to the island. Visibility was CLEAR! The water at Belize City looks bad. We almost cancelled on this excursion bc of how the water looked at the port. The guides explained that BC is the lowest point so all the rain water and dirt come down to there. Out on the reef is much different.

Other places I've snorkeled recently,

Trunk bay last March. Visibility 3/5. Reef 4/5. Fish 3/5.

Maya Key, Roatan last Nov. Vis 2/5. Reef 3/5. Fish 2/5. I realize there are better places to snorkel in Roatan and shouldn't hold my score against the entire island. We still had a great day at Maya Key.

Also snorkeled in Coz years ago but don't remember the site. Viz 5/5. Reef 4/5. Fish 3/5.

Hawaii a long long time ago. Shouldn't even really mention bc I don't even know the island. I was a kid, about 7 years old. But I remember the reef was 5/5.

Goff's Caye I would rate Vis 5/5. Reef 4/5. Fish 4/5. There are some bare parts with no reef or fish, but the parts where there are reef is so spectacular. Corals the size of a Fiat. Saw a huge school of blue fish. Just missed an eagle ray. Guide pointed it out. No turtle sightings. Sea urchins the size of basketballs. Those are my fave.

How much actual snorkel time did you get? And did you only go out once?

Thanks!

I didn't time it but we probably snorkeled about an hour and then had an hour and a half on the beach. Those that didn't get enough snorkeling time or who wanted to snorkel another area could do that during the beach time with or without one of the guides.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I think there was some food available but I really didn't pay attention to it

Done..

7d Royal Caribbean

7d Celebrity

10d Princess

14d Carnival

75d Holland America

Next..

7d Carnival Conquest

21d Carnival Triumph

I didn't time it but we probably snorkeled about an hour and then had an hour and a half on the beach. Those that didn't get enough snorkeling time or who wanted to snorkel another area could do that during the beach time with or without one of the guides.

That's great. Thanks!

How much actual snorkel time did you get? And did you only go out once?

Thanks!

Snorkeling was guided and we got about half an hour. But you can lag way behind and buy some more time. Yes we only went out once since they took us out by boat.

I am excited --- we have booked a 3 hour snorkel with Caveman on Caye Caulker; look him up on Tripadvisor or his facebook page.

**Half Day Private Tour (3 hours - 3 Locations: Shark Ray Alley, Coral Gardens, South Channel. )

- Snorkeling gear, fruit and water provided.

- Price for Regular: $35.00USD per person

- Price for Private: $200.00USD for a maximum of 4 people; price is then increased by $50.00USD for additional person added.

- In your case if Private Tour, Price: $100.00USD per person - 2 people.

We will take the water taxi to Caye Caulker and he said he will be ready whichever taxi we get on -- hoping for the 9:00 ship time one, which will be 8:00 in Belize. Planning on the 1:30 taxi back to port (will be 2:30 ship time) but we are there until 5 so I think we are good to go!!! It will just be my husband and me, so looking forward to no crowds!!

• 2 weeks later...
I am excited --- we have booked a 3 hour snorkel with Caveman on Caye Caulker; look him up on Tripadvisor or his facebook page.

**Half Day Private Tour (3 hours - 3 Locations: Shark Ray Alley, Coral Gardens, South Channel. )

- Snorkeling gear, fruit and water provided.

- Price for Regular: $35.00USD per person

- Price for Private: $200.00USD for a maximum of 4 people; price is then increased by $50.00USD for additional person added.

- In your case if Private Tour, Price: $100.00USD per person - 2 people.

We will take the water taxi to Caye Caulker and he said he will be ready whichever taxi we get on -- hoping for the 9:00 ship time one, which will be 8:00 in Belize. Planning on the 1:30 taxi back to port (will be 2:30 ship time) but we are there until 5 so I think we are good to go!!! It will just be my husband and me, so looking forward to no crowds!!

When are you booked with him I sent him a message and am lookng for a trip Aug 5

I would like to know how the taxi thing works out.;)

• 4 weeks later...
We booked Goff's Caye through Island Marketing. Loved our day! $40pp includes snorkel gear and rum punch (strong!). Lobster plate was $10, beers I think were two for $5.

Great info!

I googled Goff's Caye

came up with this site

http://www.ecotoursbelize.com/snorkeling.html#goff_caye

4 hrs for $49 with rum punch

Not sure how you get from the ship to the snorkel boat :confused::confused:

Edited by Feelin' Nauti'

I would without a doubt book thru Island Marketing again. Our day also had unlimited rum punch too. Not sure which ship you are on, but when we got there, there was another group that got there before us. Perhaps they had an earlier arrival time?

Since Belize is a tender port, and this is a non ship excursion, you have to wait until all ship sponsored tours get off, then you tender to shore. Then you meet up with your tour company and they take you to their boat. Their boats are WAY faster than the ship tenders. That is how you get to the island.

If you're interested, I have a link to my Goff's Caye review in my signature.

I would without a doubt book thru Island Marketing again. Our day also had unlimited rum punch too. Not sure which ship you are on, but when we got there, there was another group that got there before us. Perhaps they had an earlier arrival time?

Since Belize is a tender port, and this is a non ship excursion, you have to wait until all ship sponsored tours get off, then you tender to shore. Then you meet up with your tour company and they take you to their boat. Their boats are WAY faster than the ship tenders. That is how you get to the island.

Nice review

Loved your pictures....

So tropical :)

Lobsters look very inviting :D Yum!

I think tender order will depend on ship/line. Last sept. For Carnival Liberty we had a ships tour and were on the 2nd tender. This past May on Liberty we had a private and I just got in line 30 min early and we ended up on 1st tender.