photo review Technotel with Autoprogreso $35 all inclusive

Thanks for the review and the pictures! Just wondering if there was any shade at the beach? I didn't see any umbrellas in the pictures. We're looking for something to do in progreso but we need shade ;)

The only umbrellas I remember we're at the tables along the beach. They may have had them to rent but we didn't stay at the beach very long.

Sorry, we didn't price the massages either.

Great review!

Do you know if the ice they use in the drinks is from bottled or purified water? I know you only drank beer but was hoping they may have mentioned it or had signs up.

Also, were the restrooms decent? I'm hoping to change clothes once I get there.

• 3 weeks later...
A report on Tripadvisor complained that sodas were not included, and that there was an extra charge to use the kayaks - any truth to this?

sodas are absolutely included...i can't comment on the kayaks because we didn't use them. i read the review on Tripadvisor and i believe its one that you have to "take with a grain of salt" the person had 3 reviews posted and 2 were bad. for $35 i thought it was a steal....granted the beach isn't like St Thomas but for Progreso its pretty darn good. i'm a pool person myself and the pool is wonderful

hope that helps you decide

sodas are absolutely included...i can't comment on the kayaks because we didn't use them. i read the review on Tripadvisor and i believe its one that you have to "take with a grain of salt" the person had 3 reviews posted and 2 were bad. for $35 i thought it was a steal....granted the beach isn't like St Thomas but for Progreso its pretty darn good. i'm a pool person myself and the pool is wonderful

hope that helps you decide

Thanks! We've been to Progresso 8 or 9 times, and we normally just walk the public beach and grab a bite to eat at Buddy's. I've heard Buddy's has declined in quality lately, and we figured it was time to try something new. We're really looking forward to it, kayaks or no kayaks ;-)

• 2 weeks later...
We were at Buddy's last week, wife went to the ladies room and said it was disgusting. We left without ordering anything. Just our experience.

I think you may have posted on the wrong thread....this thread isn't about buddy's

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Do I understand correctly from BigDfromTN's post that we could purchase this tour after we get off the ship rather than purchasing before we leave home?

That's correct, after debarking the ship and when you board the bus someone from Autoprogresso will be there and you can purchase it from them. Bring cash and they will give you a wrist band and tell you when to meet.

We did Technotel last June and had an ok time. All we wanted to eat/drink and no vendors to bother us. Loved the mariachi band and the shots of tequila they kept passing around the beach. The margaritas with the red salt were also a hit. If we find ourselves in Progreso again with no plans, we will go back. Visited the Reef Club year before also but I think we liked Technotel better. We opted for the side trip to see the pink flamingos and Xcambo ruins and glad we made the time for that.

Unlike the majority of the reviewers here, our experience was not as pleasant as theirs. We had the unfortunate luck to be in port on Christmas Day, 13. Many of the vendors were not there. We had no plans for anything in Progresso so when an Autoprogresso agent approached us in the market, we listened to what he said.

1st off, he told us we were only paying for the Technotel. We had zero desire to see salt flats, Mayan ruins, and flamingos. All we wanted was some beach, tequila, and some food. We paid 35/pp, got the wrist band and waited for our 15 passenger van to arrive.

If you're wanting a massage, get them in the market. You can get them for 20 bucks there, more like 30-50 at Technotel.

We get in the van with a bunch of really nice people. Our tour guide was a wonderful young man named Christian. Very sweet. We begin the tour with trying to find gas on Christmas day. Not sure why that wasn't handled before hand. Finally, get gas, head out. We were under the impression we would be dropped off at Technotel and everyone else would meet up with us after the ruins, etc. Nope, we got the whole freaking kit and kaboodle. While some might thing "score", we were aggravated. It was not what I wanted and they wouldn't drop us off, I asked.

When we finally get to Technotel, it was a super let down. The beach is rather dirty looking. Think Biloxi or Galveston. The water was murky and shallow, just like Biloxi. I knew it wasn't Cozumel, but I hoped for better than Biloxi. We wanted a place with some shade, but the only shady place was some plastic tables with those cheap plastic chairs that stack. So, no reclining or sun bathing. There were some weird hard plastic chairs that sit directly on the sand closer to the beach, but they were already taken. The pool area was very nice, looked like it was bustling with waiters. We didn't see any waiters on the beach. If you wanted food, you had to go to the buffet and get it yourself. Food was not so great at all. Mr. Sancho's the next day was much better.

The bar on the beach was playing music, which was nice. It would have been nicer if I could have be sun bathing instead of sitting in a flimsy plastic stacking chair. The only beer they have is Sol, and it's in a can that they pour into a plastic cup. Of course, it was hot. The tequila was the lesser quality, what I call the rot gut. No Don Julio or even Patron.

Even though we had paid ahead of time some person came up to my sons and husband and said they needed our credit card for payment. Nope, we already paid.

Because of the rest of the tour, we were only at the Technotel for about 2 hours, but IMO, it was 2 hours too long. I hope that this poor experience was a direct result of it being Christmas day and most people just wanted to be home with their families. I doubt that I'll ever do this Technotel again.

• 2 weeks later...
Unlike the majority of the reviewers here, our experience was not as pleasant as theirs. We had the unfortunate luck to be in port on Christmas Day, 13. Many of the vendors were not there. We had no plans for anything in Progresso so when an Autoprogresso agent approached us in the market, we listened to what he said.

1st off, he told us we were only paying for the Technotel. We had zero desire to see salt flats, Mayan ruins, and flamingos. All we wanted was some beach, tequila, and some food. We paid 35/pp, got the wrist band and waited for our 15 passenger van to arrive.

If you're wanting a massage, get them in the market. You can get them for 20 bucks there, more like 30-50 at Technotel.

We get in the van with a bunch of really nice people. Our tour guide was a wonderful young man named Christian. Very sweet. We begin the tour with trying to find gas on Christmas day. Not sure why that wasn't handled before hand. Finally, get gas, head out. We were under the impression we would be dropped off at Technotel and everyone else would meet up with us after the ruins, etc. Nope, we got the whole freaking kit and kaboodle. While some might thing "score", we were aggravated. It was not what I wanted and they wouldn't drop us off, I asked.

When we finally get to Technotel, it was a super let down. The beach is rather dirty looking. Think Biloxi or Galveston. The water was murky and shallow, just like Biloxi. I knew it wasn't Cozumel, but I hoped for better than Biloxi. We wanted a place with some shade, but the only shady place was some plastic tables with those cheap plastic chairs that stack. So, no reclining or sun bathing. There were some weird hard plastic chairs that sit directly on the sand closer to the beach, but they were already taken. The pool area was very nice, looked like it was bustling with waiters. We didn't see any waiters on the beach. If you wanted food, you had to go to the buffet and get it yourself. Food was not so great at all. Mr. Sancho's the next day was much better.

The bar on the beach was playing music, which was nice. It would have been nicer if I could have be sun bathing instead of sitting in a flimsy plastic stacking chair. The only beer they have is Sol, and it's in a can that they pour into a plastic cup. Of course, it was hot. The tequila was the lesser quality, what I call the rot gut. No Don Julio or even Patron.

Even though we had paid ahead of time some person came up to my sons and husband and said they needed our credit card for payment. Nope, we already paid.

Because of the rest of the tour, we were only at the Technotel for about 2 hours, but IMO, it was 2 hours too long. I hope that this poor experience was a direct result of it being Christmas day and most people just wanted to be home with their families. I doubt that I'll ever do this Technotel again.

I mean no offense, but you can't expect all you can drink patron or Don Julio for $35. I wish! And from what I have experienced every beach before the peninsula looks like that.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...