LGA or JFK

Misty_Que

We are sailing from Cape Liberty but spending a few days in NYC pre cruise. I know EWR is probably the best airport to fly in/out of but it is over $100 per person cheaper to fly into LGA.

So my question is, which airport is the better option - LGA or JFK. And please note JFK is another $37 per person cheaper than LGA. But we aren't worried about the $37 if LGA is the better airport.

And what is the earliest flight we should book leaving LGA or JFK? Right now I am looking at a 2:45pm option.

We have only ever flown into EWR so I need help on this one. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'd pick whichever airport had the cheapest non-stop flight.

From JFK to Manhattan, a taxi is a set fare of $52.80; with tip and tolls, figure on ~$70.

From LGA, cabs are on the meter, so cost will depend on traffic--but $40 all in would be common.

If you want to use public transportation, JFK is $7.75 per person, LGA $2.75.

When we've cruised, the cruise line always gives us info about when to book flights home.

We are sailing from Cape Liberty but spending a few days in NYC pre cruise. I know EWR is probably the best airport to fly in/out of but it is over $100 per person cheaper to fly into LGA.

So my question is, which airport is the better option - LGA or JFK. And please note JFK is another $37 per person cheaper than LGA. But we aren't worried about the $37 if LGA is the better airport.

And what is the earliest flight we should book leaving LGA or JFK? Right now I am looking at a 2:45pm option.

We have only ever flown into EWR so I need help on this one. Thanks!

You'll be doing this on a Tuesday in early February. LGA currently has serious construction/congestion issues - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2395969

You can't just look at the flight costs. You also have to look at the price of transportation and get a quote from a car service like Dial7 or Carmellimo that includes the base rate and estimated tolls and plan on a 15-18% tip on the base rate. Cab is not an option for any trip between New York and NJ, so you also need to price your two trips between New York and Cape Liberty. At that time of year weather can also be a huge factor.

I'm sailing the day you return and I've been agonizing over putting together a travel plan from Boston that is cost effective and gives me the maximum flexibility to deal with snow events. I've been tagged by weather the last two times I've sailed from Cape Liberty in the winter. One time I took the train and on the return was able to make it to Boston, but not to my house until the following day. The other time I drove and had to get a last minute hotel precruise because of snow. The reality is that you will always be able to make it to EWR in poor weather and will have a large pool of available hotels in case of flight cancellations. Dealing with LGA or JFK could be a nightmare if there is a snow event.

The current recommendation for LGA is to allow at least a 3-3 1/2 hours lead time from Manhattan, so you need to allow a bit more from CL.

For OP and others reading this, another consideration - after factoring in total ground transportation costs, including tolls between CL @NJ and NYC area & airports - and worst case travel time - think about airport runway operations. We live across Flushing Bay & can literally see planes taking off/landing at LGA 1.5 mile away and yet, we prefer to fly out/into JFK, 10 miles away (an extra 6+ miles)

Among the reasons - LGA's short runways, at 7,000 ft. and is used mainly by smaller regional & turbojet these days - more prone to flight cancellations & delays, due to slightest weather & air traffic/ground stops as they are known to FAA. The only times we would fly out is with 6 AM or 7 AM departure with the inbound aircraft serviced overnight & ready to go with a fresh flight crew & pilots ready. Now and for the next several years, until the airport reconstruction is finished & done, worried about not just missing the flight, get stranded by TSA/airport security but whether the professional crew might be delayed like the rest sitting inside airport service road's notarious traffic jams. (See other thread posted - going to keep that 411 Sticky updated from time to time). JFK has longer & safer runways, taxiways & can operate in far worst, all-weather conditions and there are multiple ground transportation options - and, is easy to get into/out of NYC hotels & cruise ports if you travel light with a carry-on & backpack/cabin bag.

Depending on your sailings/time of the year/day of the week - EWR & Cape Liberty is least stressful, might be worth the costs. Otherwise, looking at 4+ hours for LGA, especially weekdays and 4.5 to 5 hours for JFK; and, more flight options - including nonstops.

Of course, travel insurance (non-cruiseline) with trip interruption coverage are always advisable. For midweek winter in NY, I would - personally - go with JFK if you are wish to overlook EWR, as the airport also has better snow removal & recoveries after any major winter storm/blizzard.

I guess I should have mentioned I am travelling with a group of 8 other people so there are 10 of us total. I have made arrangements with Angel Transportation for all our transportation needs. It is cheaper for the transportation for all of us to fly into EWR, but only by $89. And $89 between 10 people is peanuts when flights are $100+ cheaper per person.

Would a 3:00pm departure from JFK be too early?

Edited by Misty_Que

I

If you want to use public transportation, JFK is $7.75 per person, LGA $2.75.

When we've cruised, the cruise line always gives us info about when to book flights home.

You forgot the $1 fee for a new metrocard. Need one card for every four travelers as the card only hold four transfers, traveling without need for subway/bus transfers then that is not an issue.

For those that travel on the weekend (not OP) it is not $7.75 but $4.25 on LIRR, be sure to ask for or select on ticket machine the "City Ticket" that is good only on day purchased and only on weekends.

Edited by Brighton Line

If it snows, they can have terrific snow removal at JFK, but you still have to get there by road. How is the NYC snow removal on the major routes to JFK?

NYC has a decent snow removal on primary highways & designated snow emergency routes, getting to/from JFK usually isn't a major challenge on "main" roads in the boroughs ... secondary/side roads & streets are the problem with a major blizzard. Minor snow storms hardly slow us down, unless it's black ice coating underneath - then, even driving in AWD mode with 4 dedicated snow tires can be tricky to avoid becoming someone else's bumper stopper.

Major routes between hotels/ports and JFK are usually kept open by DOS crews with plows & sanders - and, there's MTA subways & LIRR trains to the AirTrain. The "A" subway line goes to Howard Beach JFK AirTrain Station and is another option (used to take that back in the 1970's living in Manhattan for flights) and there's another known route of subway to local bus to JFK (that's the "slowest") as that's how many JFK employees get to their jobs 24/7/365.

... there are 10 of us total. I have made arrangements with Angel Transportation ... cheaper for the transportation for all of us to fly into EWR, but only by $89. And $89 between 10 people is peanuts when flights are $100+ cheaper per person. Would a 3:00pm departure from JFK be too early?

A 3 PM domestic departure @JFK should be okay, assuming ship is early/on-time and everyone ready to go with luggage by 10 to 10:30 AM. Unless there's a major winter storm or weather/ATC delays at JFK, in which case flights could be delayed (but, still expected to check-in on time unless waivers are issued ahead) - 2 hours should be adequate to get to JFK for check-in @ 12 noon to 12:30, no later than 1 PM with a 2 hour cushion before pushback from the jetbridge/gate.

Bayonne Bridge was closed yesterday @ midday when we're coming back from the south Jersey shores after an extended holiday weekend - so it might take a little longer thru another S.I. crossing to Belt Parkway to JFK (also, where there is ongoing constructions)

Check out the new construction going on at LGA and decide if that is something you want to deal with.........it looks like it is affecting the American terminal more so than at the Delta end, but any traffic within LGA will be impacted.

Newark may be your best bet.

Thanks everyone. We are all booked for JFK. The deal was too good to pass up compared to flying into Newark. The transportation company said a 3:00pm departure was plenty of time if we are off the ship by 10am. So thinking we will do express walk off if the rest of my party can handle it. I will also have travel insurance but hopefully we won't have to use it!

Thanks everyone. We are all booked for JFK. The deal was too good to pass up compared to flying into Newark. The transportation company said a 3:00pm departure was plenty of time if we are off the ship by 10am. So thinking we will do express walk off if the rest of my party can handle it. I will also have travel insurance but hopefully we won't have to use it!

So glad you are all set. Please post back about your experience with Angel Transportation and a large group. You have a well thought out plan and travel insurance - that's all you can do. I never thought I would use my travel insurance to pay for an overnight because I got stranded in my home city of Boston!

Sounds & read like a good plan in place, now back to resume the countdown. Reconfirm with your car service before your sailing - and, have phone # for Dial7 and Carmel available as backup, just in case. Wish you luck with nice weather.

Is everyone flying the same airline/flight - JFK has 5 terminal stops (see map below) and if needed, allow 5 to 10 minutes for each extra stop to unload luggages & members of the group, you should have plenty of time. Apps such as FlightAware, FlightBoard or Kayak Pro will help you to track of airport & airline flight status on the go with mobile devices.

http://www.panynj.gov/airports/img/jfk/jfk-airport-plan.png

Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions. I am a research/organizing freak so like to have all my ducks in a row and everything lined up. I appreciate the help.

The funny thing is while I have my party of 8 all settled with their flights booked, my DH and I still don't have our flights. We live across the country so will be meeting up with them in JFK. So thank you for the 5 terminals tip. I didn't know that. My party is flying Delta so thinking if possible we will try to fly Delta as well to keep things easy.

So far I have had a very good experience in dealing with Angel Transportation. Very responsive and they gave me a great price. But my Travel Agent is telling me if I book our hotels and transfers through her, she can get us a group deal and it will be cheaper. So I will wait to see what she comes back with and then decide. But I was very eager to try Angel. They really seem super. I have also used Carmel and Dial 7 in the past for just DH and I and they were also good.

FYI

Carmel Limo is $44 from LGA to Manhattan cruise terminal,

That's tip's and toll's included.

For 2 people and 2 bags.

Thanks. We are sailing out of Cape Liberty. Have used both Carmel and Dial7 in the past and they were good. Looking forward to trying Angel this trip. Hopefully they are good.

can any one tell me if it is better to use a car service or taxi from JFK to hotel on Union St. in Brooklyn.2 people and 2 large and one small suitcase? Thanks so much for the help.

I highly recommend using a car service like Dial7 or Carmel, for a confirmed & flat rate (there is no toll $) - depending on time of day/day of the week - Belt Parkway is the longer/scenic route with construction and Van Wyck Expwy/LIE to BQE to Brooklyn would be the shorter route but long-term construction work on the BQE (I-278) Kosciuszko Bridge over Newtown Creek could mean sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic for 15 to 30 minutes inching forward - resulting in higher than average metered taxi fares.

A standard 4 door sedan (i.e. Toyota Camry) will fit easily up to 3 people with 3 pc. of luggage.