Live from the Bramaer 19.11.13.

papcx

Jeanlyon

I think the dropping off in the sun may be a guy thing rather than an age thing :D

And I think you are right!. LOL

Interesting - must be the same Captain we had. I remember "the stylish Braemar and look after each udder". Every single day! Ha ha.

I have just over a month to the Balmoral. I'm getting all excited and silly.

Can't think what clothes to wear for the first few days. It will be freezing!

Jean

Thank you, again, for being so comprehensive; it's really helpful to have detailed and up to date comments because so much of the cruise experience can change pretty quickly.

I recall that the staff worked extremely hard when we were on the Black Watch; Capetown to Southampton was the last leg of a world cruise, and I was dumbfounded when the usual constant cleaning and painting etc. went up yet another notch as we neared Tenerife. I was told that Fred lives in Tenerife and that if the ship wasn't sparkling heads would roll; I don't know if that's the case but it certainly looks as if the crew are proud of the ship.

I think that really helps the passengers to enjoy themselves; it's difficult to relax on something that looks like a floating multiple story car park, and most car park attendants are not enthused by their jobs. It's nice to know that the waiters are pleasant and efficient, even if the food should be hotter:)

I'm sorry that the weather precluded your enjoyment of at least some of the bars; I will try and take notes for your future reference. Did they have the German sparkling wine in the somewhat inclusive?

Papcx, many thanks for that.

I have read out the key sections to my mother who has been considering Fred Olsen. The one thing she could not forgive on MSC was the less than piping hot food. She is joining us on the Armonia under protest and only because it is so unbelievably cheap. Piping hot food is a very English thing and we are both surprised that FO did not manage this. "Well, I can cross them off the list", were her exact words.

Also we were quite shocked that afternoon tea was not daily and free. After the average age of the guests, my single biggest expectation of FO was the daily afternoon tea ritual. We will have to look to the English-themed American Cunard line for that.

I rather like the idea of taking slippers on a cruise for walking around in during the day. Would a housecoat be appropriate too?

The Armonia in March will be completely different! I just hope they can rustle up some hot food for my mother.

Tim.

Papcx, many thanks for that.

I have read out the key sections to my mother who has been considering Fred Olsen. The one thing she could not forgive on MSC was the less than piping hot food. She is joining us on the Armonia under protest and only because it is so unbelievably cheap. Piping hot food is a very English thing and we are both surprised that FO did not manage this. "Well, I can cross them off the list", were her exact words.

Also we were quite shocked that afternoon tea was not daily and free. After the average age of the guests, my single biggest expectation of FO was the daily afternoon tea ritual. We will have to look to the English-themed American Cunard line for that.

I rather like the idea of taking slippers on a cruise for walking around in during the day. Would a housecoat be appropriate too?

The Armonia in March will be completely different! I just hope they can rustle up some hot food for my mother.

Tim.

Tea with afternoon sandwiches was daily and free from the palms cafe (the buffet). There were also the scones, butter, jam and cream to make your own cream teas.

The chargeable tea service we did was more about the location (observatory bar) with its possibility of whale or dolphin spotting and the background music.

Tea with afternoon sandwiches was daily and free from the palms cafe (the buffet). There were also the scones, butter, jam and cream to make your own cream teas.

The chargeable tea service we did was more about the location (observatory bar) with its possibility of whale or dolphin spotting and the background music.

I imagine there was a self-service microwave in the buffet to make your food hot too, but it is hardly the same.

On the QE2, it was served in the ballroom and immensely popular. It was the social occasion of the day. I expected something similar on Fred olsen.

Skipper Tim

There have been a lot of rock bottom prices on Cunard recently so you may well be able to pick up a bargain; of course, there are the usual complaints that Cunard has gone downhill, the cream is not likely to be genuinely clotted, due to US Health and Safety regulations, and the ships are too busy pushing the extra payment champagne teas to welcome passengers who want simply to have afternoon tea.

I am more concerned about UHT milk than the arduous task of putting together my own scones but we all have different requirements...

I imagine there was a self-service microwave in the buffet to make your food hot too, but it is hardly the same.

On the QE2, it was served in the ballroom and immensely popular. It was the social occasion of the day. I expected something similar on Fred olsen.

:D

Nothing nicer than the speciality afternoon tea in the Observatory lounge. I have tried it on all Fred's ships and it is far superior to the afternoon tea that is standard anywhere else.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...