Does 10 days make a difference to foliage?

melmike

We are looking at a 10-day 28 Sept (2013) cruise Montreal - NYC or Oct 8 NYC - Montreal. Are the fall colours just as good either dates please?

Also, does the size of the ship make a difference in that part of the world? We are looking at Crystal or Silverseas (pax 390)

Thanks

We are looking at a 10-day 28 Sept (2013) cruise Montreal - NYC or Oct 8 NYC - Montreal. Are the fall colours just as good either dates please?

Also, does the size of the ship make a difference in that part of the world? We are looking at Crystal or Silverseas (pax 390)

Thanks

Definitely makes a difference.

Problem is, there's no way to know, six months out, which will have the better chance of seeing great colors. It all depends on the weather, and quality predictions won't come out until about a month before the change.

My advice would be that you check on the 'net for the average historical color dates, and aim for that. Or, just take the earlier cruise and enjoy slightly warmer temps.

My advice would be that you check on the 'net for the average historical color dates, and aim for that. Or, just take the earlier cruise and enjoy slightly warmer temps.

It would not have occurred to me to look for 'historical color dates' ...thank you! ( Sydney gets hardly any fall color change at all...too sad!)

Thanks

Take a look at the interactive average fall foliage map for New England provided by Yankee Magazine, and run it daily to watch how the foliage creeps across New England. Notice how 10 days will impact the location of peak fall foliage.

SBtS

I have to agree with the others. I have lived in New England most of my life. Fall is by far my favorite time of year and the colors are amazing. With that said, each year, it comes at a different time. You may get a feel for where the peak will be a month ahead of time, but most want to book their cruises before waiting until the last minute.

Another factor to keep in mind is that peak comes at different times. This means that even if one of your ports isn't in peak time, there is a chance that another one will be so unless it is a year of major rain that knocks all the leaves off, I would say you will see some beautiful colors somewhere along your path. Enjoy and have a great time!

Cathy in New Hampshire

Normally the Oct date would be better. Middle two weeks of Oct are usually the best (in Maine). But this year....who knows. We had such a dry winter the color might turn early, or more likely, not have great color at all. Just really tough to predict.

The odds are 10-day 28 Sept (2013) Leaving CA, is the best date. Columbus Day has always been best in the Lakes Area of NH, CA would be a week earlier. NYC should be in the peak range around the 8th. You should pass a peak somewhere on your cruise.

framer

Thanks

In October, 2012, Regent posted a photo on their facebook page of the foliage on a recent cruise. I knew right then and there I wanted to do a New England cruise and I choose a cruise that was over that time frame and we ended up on the Crystal Symphony from October 14 to 21. It is too late to change and I hope we won't be disappointed!

Yes, you will be very pleased with either Crystal or Silverseas.

• 2 weeks later...

We have lived in Boston all our lives and ten days can be the difference between peak of the most beautiful fall foliage and the trees are stripped bare.

It is almost impossible to tell you year to year when peak color will occur. It is so variable depending upon heat and water conditions during the summer among other things.

Archived