Flying ugh

Moondawgie

Do you have any suggestions on how to get through long flights.

I have a 19 hr ap to ap (Rome) in October. 12 of those hours are Chicago to Rome.

What do you do to make your flight less awful? It is an overnight flight, coach, but you know about sleeping on those planes!:eek:

Any encouraging advice?

Do you think Tylenol PM is safe to take? I know you are not all medical people.

The flight time from ORD-FCO is a bit over 10 hours, not 12 hours.

You get through a long flight the same way you get through any flight; bring things to do, wear comfortable clothes, etc.

You're actually in the air barely 9 hours

Tylenol PM is ordinary Tylenol plus a small amount of an antihistamine such as Benadryl.

Whenever we have a chance these days we take morning flights over the Atlantic, even if it means spending the previous night in the US. For example, Chicago - London gets in at bedtime, you book a cheap hotel near Heathrow, sleep in a real bed, then the next morning head back to the airport and take a morning flight to wherever your final destination might be (e.g. Rome.)

We find this (a) makes the flying a lot easier as you're not trying to "sleep," and it really reduces jetlag because the night in London really helps your body adjust.

File for future reference, maybe.

Generally speaking, for most people, yes of course it is. BUT, only your doctor can tell you if it not safe for you due to any particular condition that you may have.

Tylenol PM is ordinary Tylenol plus a small amount of an antihistamine such as Benadryl.

Whenever we have a chance these days we take morning flights over the Atlantic, even if it means spending the previous night in the US. For example, Chicago - London gets in at bedtime, you book a cheap hotel near Heathrow, sleep in a real bed, then the next morning head back to the airport and take a morning flight to wherever your final destination might be (e.g. Rome.)

We find this (a) makes the flying a lot easier as you're not trying to "sleep," and it really reduces jetlag because the night in London really helps your body adjust.

File for future reference, maybe.

We've got an upcoming cruise next year in the Med and was thinking about doing just that. I cannot sleep on a plane, no matter what and even DH has a tough time (this is a guy who can fall asleep in the middle of a conversation, while he's the one talking).

The last TA flight we did was YYZ to LHR to BCN and I worked the day we left, so by the time we got into Barcelona, I had been awake something like 36 hours straight (or more, the time changes were a little confusing). It was a nightmare. Luckily we had a nice hotel in Barcelona that had great room service.

I wear men's travel socks that cover my calves, helps the circulation in my legs.

Watching movies helps pass the time. I rarely am able to sleep much on transatlantic flights.

To be honest, flights from the midwest or east coast to Europe are just too short to get anything resembling decent sleep, no matter what class of service you are in. Let's say the flight time from Chicago to Rome (a decently long route when compared to Chicago to London or, god forbid, Boston to Dublin) is in the air 9 hours. By the time the meal service is over and lights go out, should you choose to partake in dinner or even are bothered by the lights, you have maybe 6.5 hours of the flight let. Then they wake you up 2 to 2.5 hours ahead for breakfast and arrival preparation. You're now down to 4 or 4.5 hours. Assuming you can somehow sleep that entire 4 or 4.5 hours, it's not a lot...and if you're in coach, it's even tougher to sleep straight through.

Now if you're doing that Boston to Dublin flight, your available time of sleep is down to like 1.5 or 2 hours. Eeks.

People never believe me that many flights to Europe are "too short", but they really are sometimes. Asia and Australia seem long, and they are, but it's also more likely that you'll get something resembling 6-8 hours of sleep, even in coach (may not be the best 6-8 hours, but 6-8 is certainly possible).

To be honest, flights from the midwest or east coast to Europe are just too short to get anything resembling decent sleep, no matter what class of service you are in. Let's say the flight time from Chicago to Rome (a decently long route when compared to Chicago to London or, god forbid, Boston to Dublin) is in the air 9 hours. By the time the meal service is over and lights go out, should you choose to partake in dinner or even are bothered by the lights, you have maybe 6.5 hours of the flight let. Then they wake you up 2 to 2.5 hours ahead for breakfast and arrival preparation. You're now down to 4 or 4.5 hours. Assuming you can somehow sleep that entire 4 or 4.5 hours, it's not a lot...and if you're in coach, it's even tougher to sleep straight through.

Now if you're doing that Boston to Dublin flight, your available time of sleep is down to like 1.5 or 2 hours. Eeks.

People never believe me that many flights to Europe are "too short", but they really are sometimes. Asia and Australia seem long, and they are, but it's also more likely that you'll get something resembling 6-8 hours of sleep, even in coach (may not be the best 6-8 hours, but 6-8 is certainly possible).

I agree, TA flights are generally 8 or 9 hours, although we flew from Orlando to Istanbul and that was about 11 hours.

Our longest flights have been transpacific, from LAX to Sydney and return, as well as Chicago to Bejing and Hong Kong to Chicago. Those flights were 14 hours and can be punishing. I took a unisom sleep aid and managed to get some sleep on the overnight flights, however returning to the states is in daytime and sleep was not a real issue.

I disagree. I eat before I board, knock back a couple glasses of Champagne, and as soon as I'm able, put the seat down, close the shade, and go to sleep. 5-6 hours later (depending on origination and destination) I wake up, have breakfast, and get off the plane. Sometimes I just wait on breakfast until I get to the arrivals lounge. I often function on 5-6 hours sleep at home, it's easier when you are excited about being in a new place. I stay awake until about 10:00 pm local time, hit the hay, and wake up fully adjusted the next morning.

I usually pick a serial type tv show that I've never seen but have been hearing about and I binge watch a whole season on my iPad (got to download them first, not just to the cloud). The time goes by much faster because it's episodic, much better than when I have 2 or 3 movies queued up. Breaking Bad got me to and from Hawaii from the East Coast last year and Scandal got me to CA and back this year.

I usually pick a serial type tv show that I've never seen but have been hearing about and I binge watch a whole season on my iPad (got to download them first, not just to the cloud). The time goes by much faster because it's episodic, much better than when I have 2 or 3 movies queued up. Breaking Bad got me to and from Hawaii from the East Coast last year and Scandal got me to CA and back this year.

I tend to do something like this too. A year and a half or so ago, I hopped on a London flight and decided "Downton Abbey? Sure, why not". Landed in Chicago and was hooked.

Edited by Zach1213

Thanks for the suggestion about binge watching. Since I don't have an Apple product - only a cheap tablet (iRola), how do I download such a thing? Is there a way without iTunes?

I am not very tech savvy (the reason I didn't invest in an iPad).:rolleyes: So, I need a lot of help.;):D

Thanks for the suggestion about binge watching. Since I don't have an Apple product - only a cheap tablet (iRola), how do I download such a thing? Is there a way without iTunes?

I am not very tech savvy (the reason I didn't invest in an iPad).:rolleyes: So, I need a lot of help.;):D

Amazon Prime would do the trick I think. You can always go with my standby tech support - when in doubt, ask a 12 year old.

Upgrade if you can, even if it is still coach.

Take a great book or your own entertainment. Because you never know when the airlines will not be operational.

I take melatonin but I never consider sleep on a plane restful, not since I turned thirty anyway.

I have lost a couple of days on a cruise after long hauls and always take Into consideration how rested I am and time changes. Twelve hour changes wipe some of us out.

It's okay to not eat or drink on a plane. It takes time and you will be lining up for the restroom. Hydrate like crazy after and before. Because I hate those bathroom lines.

Wear comfortable shoes.

Tv series are a great idea.

What do you do to make your flight less awful? It is an overnight flight, coach, but you know about sleeping on those planes!:eek:

So you're traveling 1/3 the way around the planet, in an span of time, a level of safety, and a price that was unimaginable 60 years ago? And that's "awful"? Many of our ancestors paid to immigrate from their native country on a spartan steamship. In relative terms Seat 46J is luxurious and a fraction of what they paid for passage...and you can "buy up" if you want more luxury. Just putting things in perspective.

This leads to 3 types of people:

- Medical novices (myself included) who know nothing of your personal medical situation and know not to answer and will refer you to your doctor. My relative has a condition where Tylenol is dangerous if not lethal. How would we know you don't have the same condition?

- Same, but will answer your question. Might as well ask a random stranger on the street.

- Medical experts / professionals who know to refer you to your doctor.

:)

Edited by kenish

My first flight ever was on a TWA Constellation - PIT-STL-LAS-LAX. Memories…

Back to the topic at hand:

When at all possible, I buy up to at least the Economy Comfort seats (I'm a Delta person). If I have the points, I'll do BE and have a very comfortable sleep across across the Atlantic or Pacific (my home airport does CDG and HNL non-stop). I've been on a few trips with a group where I had no choice in the airline choice and had to fly in pure Economy (DFW-LHR, LHR-LAX, LHR-NBO, JFK-CAI, AMM-JFK). I have my routine down pretty well now:

I have an inflatable foot rest - keeps my legs at a better position than hanging down.

Get the most comfortable neck pillow you can. Test drive them at home. I had bought one that was highly recommended on several sites and it was miserable for me.

Noise canceling headphones. I've got the Bose Quiet Comfort 15. Puts me in to my own little world.

iPod filled with different playlists - I've got music I can fall asleep to, music to keep awake with…

I'll eat the dinner, have a few glasses of wine, recline when I can, put on the sleepy time music and sleep. When I arrive at my destination, I'll putter about in the daylight to help adjust. Around 3pm, I do a 30 minute or so "power nap" and I'm good for the rest of that day and wake up thoroughly adjusted the next morning...

Maybe a Connie. I don't think the Gooney Bird has enough range. ;)

I'd give my eye teeth or left-hand ** (not suitable for this forum :D ) to fly either. I have been on a Ford Trimotor...the captain and FO pointed out the plane was older than their combined ages!

I'd give my eye teeth or left-hand ** (not suitable for this forum :D ) to fly either. I have been on a Ford Trimotor...the captain and FO pointed out the plane was older than their combined ages!

I did fly a DC-3 between St. Thomas and San Juan back in 1991 on Air BVI. Interesting flight. I had a window seat - the window had, I kid you not, some paper towels stuffed around it in places where the gasket was gone!!!!!

It was an interesting set of flights, all around, thanks to Eastern Airlines ceasing operations and we had to do a lot of last-minute flight plans. We were able to snag seats on "mainline" most of the way, but we had that funky DC-3 on the way back and a Grumman Turbo Mallard on the way over!!!!