Disney Fantasy - Kids Clubs

FB

Can someone please explain to me how Disney operates their kids club. Their website is less than clear in this regard.

We will be travelling with 5 kids

13-11-10-8-7

We just got back from NCL and we are very familiar with their procedures and processes so if someone could compare the two that would be great.

NCL was 6-9 and 10-12 then 13-17.

10-12 could sign in and out on their own.

From Disney website it lists the following

Vibe - 14-17

Edge - 11-14

Oceaneer Club - 3 -12

Oceaneer Lab - 3 - 12

I do see it says they can go between Club and Lab.

Thanks

Can someone please explain to me how Disney operates their kids club. Their website is less than clear in this regard.

13-11-10-8-7

We just got back from NCL and we are very familiar with their procedures and processes so if someone could compare the two that would be great.

Vibe - 14-17

Edge - 11-14

Oceaneer Club - 3 -12

Oceaneer Lab - 3 - 12

Thanks

Oceaneer's Club/Lab is ages 3-12. It's a large area roughly split into the "Club" space with activities aimed toward the 3-7 age group; and the "Lab" space with activities aimed toward the 8-12 age group. But any child in there can participate in whatever activities in whatever space that interests them, regardless of age.

Edge is ages 11-14. The overlap ages of 11 & 12 can participate in either the Club/Lab or Edge activities. They can go back and forth between them, if they wish, or just stick to one.

Not sure about the minimum age to be able to sign themselves in and out, but I think it's 11 and up.

There are Open House hours (I believe every day) where, for an hour or so, the spaces are open to adults who wish to accompany their kids into "their" spaces and play. When the Club has Open House, the Lab is secured programming (no adults other than the CMs) and vice versa.

13-11-10-8-7

Vibe - 14-17

Edge - 11-14

Oceaneer Club - 3 -12

Oceaneer Lab - 3 - 12

Thanks

NCL has the rigid age groups with no deviations. Kids at a certain age can sign in and out - like 9 I think.

DCL has the overlapping groups as pointed out earlier. I think the sign out age is a bit younger than 11. Our youngest was 11 this past trip in August and could sign himself out and we went a couple years back and he could sign out so I think it is 9.

The programs are also very different. NCL is much more structured, more like daycare, with planned activities. The hours are also limited hours - from what I remember from Getaway this past summer something like 9 - 12, 2 - 5, and 7 - 10. There was also late night for a fee.

DCL does have planned activities, however if the kids aren't interested there is tons of other things for them to do. They are also open during those meal hours that NCL shuts down for.

Honestly our kids spent almost no time in the clubs on Getaway. They just weren't interested in most of what was planned, and didn't like being "forced" to participate. On DCL we can't get them to leave the clubs.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Forums mobile app

Disney's kid programming has gone thru many evolutions over the years and no matter what they do, there are always parents who complain.

Because there were parents who thought their older child should be "able" to monitor the younger ones while in programming, the Oceaneer's Club and Lab are now ages 3-12. There are scheduled activities with suggested age ranges, and the lab is geared to older kids while the club is geared toward younger. However, any kid can be in either space and any kid can participate in any activity regardless of age. However, the staff will make suggestions only about age appropriate activities. If your 11 year old wants todo Do-Si-Do with Snow White, he/she will have to be aware of the time and make a point of going to the club space as this is a young kid activity. There are often as many as 4 scheduled activities simultaneously or overlapping, but they are suggested for different ages. The kids can also do free play--there is no requirement to do the planned activities. Ages 8 and up can sign themselves out with parent's signed permission. Kids must wear locator bracelet while in the programming.

The Edge is ages 11-14 and the kids must have sign in/out permission from parents.

The Vibe is 14-17.

Yes, there is overlap in the ages--again, parents were always asking if their kids could be together. The only one that is strict is the Vibe. Younger kids are not supposed to be allowed in, and on your 18th birthday, you are out. 18s but still in high school used to be allowed in, but unfortunately there was an issue with the behavior of a legal adult....and the Disney lawyers got involved...so it's now 18 and out!

The former college group is now the 18-21 club. It meets each evening. Other times/activities are scheduled if the young adults express interest. Some cruises it is an active, fun group while other times it is a dud.

Open house hours are a time when children of all ages (even 60 something) can go into the area and participate/play. Children must be accompanied by an adult during open house. Kids signed in (secure programming) are taken to the other area during these times and there is no interaction between the secure group and the open house participants.

Edited by moki'smommy

Thank you everyone for all the great information. We just came off an NCL cruise and I've always thought NCL kids club is top notch. The hours posted above are accurate as well as the strict application of ages.. Although at times they do merge them.

The only problem we had was the 12 yo who is very mature would have done much better in the next level but was not permitted... It was fine she ended up having fun but not after a lot of coursing.

Can someone explain the tracking bracelet.

The bracelet looks like the Magic Band at WDW. It "talks" to the computer at check in and check out and the CM can use the computer to locate the bracelet when the parent comes to pick up a child or at any other time they wish. The bracelet is available at no charge while on the ship; for a fee of $13 you can purchase it to take home. Lose it and you pay for it.

Some of the younger children prefer to wear them on an ankle.

They are very light weight. These are NOT the big, bulky ones they used to have.

The kid spaces are large and it is helpful to know whether the child is in the Club or Lab space when a parent appears....or which part of the Club/lab. Kids in the Edge and Vibe do not wear the bracelets.

You didn't ask, but programming hours are generally 9 am till midnight or 1 am (depends on the night). On some port days, it opens as early as 8am. There is NEVER any charge for anything in the programming. Even things that would have a charge if done outside the programming will be free to participants in the activity. For example, if the Edge or Vibe has a smoothie party, each kid will get a smoothie at no charge.

Edited by moki'smommy

Thank you everyone for all the great information. We just came off an NCL cruise and I've always thought NCL kids club is top notch. The hours posted above are accurate as well as the strict application of ages.. Although at times they do merge them.

The only problem we had was the 12 yo who is very mature would have done much better in the next level but was not permitted... It was fine she ended up having fun but not after a lot of coursing.

Can someone explain the tracking bracelet.

Here's a good description:

http://disneycruiselineblog.com/2013/11/all-new-youth-activities-oceaneer-bands-replacing-mickey-bands/

• 5 months later...

Sorry to bring back an older thread, but have a question about the Oceaneer Club on the Fantasy. My wife any I will be cruising with our 3 year old son on the Fantasy early June. We definitely plan on utilizing the Oceaneer Club to be able to have some alone time together. I'm worried we will be traveling at a busy time with lots of children/families on board. Does the Oceaneer Club ever get so full/at capacity that they turn children away? Will it ever get so full that the staff to children ratio is unacceptable? I'm also concerned about my son's age. Seeing that he is at the youngest spectrum of ages, I'm worried about bullying or rough play by other children. Are the staff pretty good at regulating and preventing this? Thanks for any input.

There is no such thing as a non-busy time on the Fantasy. The ship always sails nearly full because if it isn't a sell out, DCL offers specials to fill it. Some of those are available to the public, others only to CM families or TA families. What DOES change is the age make up of the kids on board. Actually, in June you will see a lot of families with school aged and teen kids and a lower percentage of pre-school kids. That means fewer kids in the 3 year old group than (for example) a September cruise.

Does the OC ever get so full that kids are turned away? VERY rarely and then all you have to do is wait till someone checks out and thus creates an opening. This used to happen 15 years ago, but now is incredibly rare.

There are activities with a "suggested" age of 3-4. The problem is that any kid can participate in any activity. My suggestion--take him for a scheduled activity (see Navigator for schedule) and do not EVER take him when there is open house in the OC. At that time, they will move all the "secure" kids to the Lab, which is designed for much older kids. Yes, the staff tries to monitor interactions between kids, but they are not always successful.

As to why the crazy policies--a combination of parental requests/complaints (no matter how DCL cut the age groups, there were always parents who wanted their kid moved up) and an incident that is well documented in other threads.

Kids either love or hate the programming...and often the same kid has different feelings on different trips/age groups. Start with an open house visit (where adults must remain with kid) and then a short drop off--like one 45 minute activity. If that goes well, you can add more.

@crusinKJ

We just sailed Fantasy for the first time last month with our two boys - ages 7 and 3.5. Our 7 year old would have stayed in the Lab all day if we had let him! (video games:)) Our 3.5 year old enjoyed it but didn't love it. He went there willingly when we wanted/needed him to, but he didn't ask to go like our 7 year old. The younger one was mostly in the Club when we picked him up...sometimes he had wandered over to the Lab and was playing around on a video game station. The Club is extremely cute! I would have loved it as a kid! I think it just depends on your child's personality and their interests how much they will like the Club/Lab.

Also, you will have your wave phone so the CM can get in touch with you easily if needed. On two occasions we got a text "Your child would like to be picked up." Our son was not crying or upset, but had just asked to leave, and we were happy to do so and glad for the easy communication.

Only one time did we really NEED him to stay the whole time (Palo reservation) and luckily he did fine!

Have fun! Our boys still talk about the cruise every day! Disney knows how to do it right!

There is no such thing as a non-busy time on the Fantasy. The ship always sails nearly full because if it isn't a sell out' date=' DCL offers specials to fill it. Some of those are available to the public, others only to CM families or TA families. What DOES change is the age make up of the kids on board. Actually, in June you will see a lot of families with school aged and teen kids and a lower percentage of pre-school kids. That means fewer kids in the 3 year old group than (for example) a September cruise.

[b']

Does the OC ever get so full that kids are turned away? VERY rarely and then all you have to do is wait till someone checks out and thus creates an opening. This used to happen 15 years ago, but now is incredibly rare.

[/b]

There are activities with a "suggested" age of 3-4. The problem is that any kid can participate in any activity. My suggestion--take him for a scheduled activity (see Navigator for schedule) and do not EVER take him when there is open house in the OC. At that time, they will move all the "secure" kids to the Lab, which is designed for much older kids. Yes, the staff tries to monitor interactions between kids, but they are not always successful.

As to why the crazy policies--a combination of parental requests/complaints (no matter how DCL cut the age groups, there were always parents who wanted their kid moved up) and an incident that is well documented in other threads.

Kids either love or hate the programming...and often the same kid has different feelings on different trips/age groups. Start with an open house visit (where adults must remain with kid) and then a short drop off--like one 45 minute activity. If that goes well, you can add more.

Hi Moki's Mommy

We are sailing over New Years. We'll have 10, 8, 6, 5, 4 and a 2 1/2 year old with us.

It never entered my mind that the Club could be filled.

Might that be a problem for that time of year? (The kids are cousins and really like to play with each other so I'm glad they can all be in the same club - I know the 2 1/2 year old has to be with an adult.)

Thanks for all of your help. I know I've asked a ton of questions. :o

Edited by chamima

Karen--your only problem may be the 2 1/2 year old in the nursery. There WILL be availability for the older kids in the Club/Lab. I don't know how they have altered the system, but the spaces don't fill up now. They might have CMs on standby who report to work if called to keep the ratios appropriate. Or they might have supervisors doing paperwork or whatever being physically in the areas (they also count in the ratio if they are in the area in the same way that the secretaries, etc. count in a pre-school.)

The 2 1/2 year old can only go to the OC during "open house" hours, and as you noted, with an adult. Open house hours in the Club are about 90 minutes per day. There is an additional 90 minutes in the Lab space, but there is really nothing for a 2 year old in the Lab. During all other times, only the nursery is available to this child (at $9 per hour).

The younger kids might enjoy the "toddler time" and "Disney Jr." time in th mornings. Check your Navigator for exact time and location. On the Magic, it is usually the Promenade Lounge. This is a time of songs, dancing, exercises, etc. Fun for the younger ones.

Another question - the 10 year old (a VERY responsible girl who is the oldest sibling to the 4 and 6 year olds) loves "taking care" of the 2 1/2 year old (also a very quiet little girl). Are there any play rooms on the ship where she can do this? (Even if it had to be with an adult nearby.)

Another question - the 10 year old (a VERY responsible girl who is the oldest sibling to the 4 and 6 year olds) loves "taking care" of the 2 1/2 year old (also a very quiet little girl). Are there any play rooms on the ship where she can do this? (Even if it had to be with an adult nearby.)

There are no "play rooms," but she could do this in any of the lounges when they are not in use. She can also attend any "family" activities with the child. She is too young to count as the "adult" during open house hours. There are plenty of places to just "hang out." She can also take the little one to the splash area by the pool, mini golf (new ships only), etc.