11:00am Flight from Amsterdam?

eyelovcrusin

Will be arriving on Silhouette at 6:00am, plan to do self-disembarkation, grab taxi to airport. Only one other ship in port, it's 700 passengers and arrives at 7:00. This is a Wednesday. Those of you familiar with Amsterdam port/customs and transportation to airport, is this reasonable to make a 11:00am flight directly to USA ? Are taxi's readily available or should we arrange a pick-up ? Thanks for your help and opinions and yes I know there is never a guarantee of making any flight.

Yes taxis will be available. Drivingtime between 30-40 minutes depending on traffic. Do your checkin online the night before to save some time.

Security takes place at the gates, so be there on time. After passportcontrol you will pass through a large taxfree shopping area, donot spend too much time there.

I donot know how much a possible custom clearance in the port lasts, before passengers can disembark.

Be wary about dis-embarkation times. I suspect that your "6am" really means unassisted (haul your own bags from the cabin) dis-embarkation from about 7am.

And the other ship's "7am" may actually be their dis-embarkation time following an earlier arrival time - my experience has been that different cruise lines & ports use different criteria for times.

That said, with unassisted disembarkation you should have no problem getting a taxi from the pier & arriving at Schipol within the 30-40 minutes quoted by Ine, and in good time for that flight.

The train service from Amsterdam to Schipol is fast, frequent & cheap. But that tends to be negated by the surprisingly-long walk (or even a taxi hop) from ship to station - its further than it looks on paper. And Schipol is a very large airport, it may take up to 15 mins from train to check-in. Best done only with light luggage & no time constraints.

No trans-Atlantic experience from there, only ever done short-haul

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
Yes, we made it, and in August too!

This year August (or any month in high season) might be different. Long lines are expected at passport control at the airport.