Tom Harper Cruises

Memlin

We got the catalog, too. I can't lay my hands on it right now, but I thought they were out of Milton, MA, or there abouts? That's the neighborhood that both GCT and Vantage are out of, I beleive. As we've sailed with both GCT and Vantage, how coincidental that Tom has our name and address. Is it one of them operating under yet another name? And as the previous poster mentioned, their maiden sailings aren't until this coming spring.

Edited by marco

• 1 year later...

Tom Harper LLC has filed for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy in Massachusetts. All of the passengers who have paid for cruises from April 2015 and beyond are out of luck (and on the bankruptcy recovery list). Since January, TH has been soliciting full payment for future trips by offering a 10% discount incentive. These payments had to be made via EFT.

We had paid only the reservation fee of $500 each--and paid that by American Express. AMEX has credited us with that amount, so we are very fortunate. Other passengers who paid by credit card have also been reimbursed by the credit card companies. We, for one, will NEVER prepay by electronic funds transfer--to any company!

Tom Harper LLC has filed for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy in Massachusetts. All of the passengers who have paid for cruises from April 2015 and beyond are out of luck (and on the bankruptcy recovery list). Since January, TH has been soliciting full payment for future trips by offering a 10% discount incentive. These payments had to be made via EFT.

We had paid only the reservation fee of $500 each--and paid that by American Express. AMEX has credited us with that amount, so we are very fortunate. Other passengers who paid by credit card have also been reimbursed by the credit card companies. We, for one, will NEVER prepay by electronic funds transfer--to any company!

I agree. I am curious what the look back period for credit cards would be. If someone put a deposit down 6 months ago -- would the credit card company still refund them? I wish everyone good luck in getting their money back. I also received their emails and brochures and am curious how they received my name.

The unfortunate things we learn from experience....Most companies offer, including the most solid ones, usually offer some kind of incentive to pay early...DH and I have talked about it many times, but never done it and now we never will.

The unfortunate things we learn from experience....Most companies offer, including the most solid ones, usually offer some kind of incentive to pay early...DH and I have talked about it many times, but never done it and now we never will.

It would still be worthwhile if you get third-party travel insurance with vendor default coverage -- but make sure your vendor is on the coverage list. I don't think Tom Harper ever was, at least when I checked. ["Vantage Deluxe World Travel" is covered on my Allianz policy -- if that is the same as Vantage river cruises]

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

It would still be worthwhile if you get third-party travel insurance with vendor default coverage -- but make sure your vendor is on the coverage list. I don't think Tom Harper ever was, at least when I checked. ["Vantage Deluxe World Travel" is covered on my Allianz policy -- if that is the same as Vantage river cruises]
Yes Vanttage Deluxe World Travel has the Vantage river boats. I looked at Allianz and they do NOT list Grand Circle on their coverage list (I have not checked other insurance companies). I have been quite pleased with my six Grand Circle river boat trips, but would worry about paying far in advance by EFT without default coverage (IMO the discount is not worth the risk).

Thom

Yes Vanttage Deluxe World Travel has the Vantage river boats. I looked at Allianz and they do NOT list Grand Circle on their coverage list (I have not checked other insurance companies). I have been quite pleased with my six Grand Circle river boat trips, but would worry about paying far in advance by EFT without default coverage (IMO the discount is not worth the risk).

Thom

That's very interesting. I've never traveled with GCT but I never doubted their reputation or solvency. Vantage just happened to send me a brochure for Castle on the Rhine at the perfect time and since we were so satisfied with the first trip we've kept booking with them and never been disappointed. Plus the incentive to rebook with them is a plus.

Travel Guard gold plan covers default of the tour operator. Travel Guard has a list of travel companies /tour operators which are NOT covered. You have to check that your tour operator is not on the list before you purchase the policy.

If you pay early by check or cashiers check, and if you have proper documentation of that early payment, and if you have a third party travelers insurance plan with default coverage, you will be ok and you will be reimbursed.

This is how Travel Guard writes their policy for default of the travel company. There are other companies that may also cover this situation.

Edited by Shebely