Why doesn't RCCL have...

Honestly, the water slide is one item Carnival has. RCCL has multiple activities, on the sports deck. They include the flow rider, which can be done either standing up surfing, or as a boogie board. The rock climbing has multiple different courses to take for different skills. Full sized sports court for basketball, dodgeball, soccer and other events for kids of all ages. Ice skating is FREE for all ages. Some ships of an inline skating track, trampoline. They all have a mini golf course. The newest ships, have of course so many different action activities.

Jump back to Carnival, and you basically have the same things on every ship without much variety.

How old are the kids? Mine were both on Carnival and RCCL and once they became a teenager, they voiced strong opinions on not going on Carnival because they were so boring. Every kid is not the same, but until your kids try it, they won't know how much fun they will have.

RCCL does not try to copy others, but rather they create their own experience.

Some Carnival ships have ropes courses, outdoor pool tables, mini-golf, sports courts...I don't think they just have water slides. And the activities definitely vary from ship-to-ship.

I think all of the major cruise lines copy each other. There are definitely things that RCCL has copied from other lines (private island, MTD).

Edited by time4u2go

Honestly, the water slide is one item Carnival has. RCCL has multiple activities, on the sports deck. They include the flow rider, which can be done either standing up surfing, or as a boogie board. The rock climbing has multiple different courses to take for different skills. Full sized sports court for basketball, dodgeball, soccer and other events for kids of all ages. Ice skating is FREE for all ages. Some ships of an inline skating track, trampoline. They all have a mini golf course. The newest ships, have of course so many different action activities.

Jump back to Carnival, and you basically have the same things on every ship without much variety.

How old are the kids? Mine were both on Carnival and RCCL and once they became a teenager, they voiced strong opinions on not going on Carnival because they were so boring. Every kid is not the same, but until your kids try it, they won't know how much fun they will have.

RCCL does not try to copy others, but rather they create their own experience.

Let's see on Carnival we have done multiple waterslides, basketball, mini golf, ping pong, thrill theatre, etc. I think I know my kids (12 & 10) and what they like and dislike. I also know myself and I would not take advantage of any of things you listed. I have no desire to fall on my ass in front of a bunch of strangers while trying to ride the flowrider. I also don't want to break my ankle again and fear that would happen when falling off. I have never had any desire to climb anything so wouldn't try any rock walls.

I see you have not been on Carnival in years and not on their newest ships so you can't really compare.

I would probably only book Royal on a port intensive cruise like Europe where the amenities don't matter because there is no time to use them. For our fun summer vacation we all want to enjoy ourselves.

Let's see on Carnival we have done multiple waterslides, basketball, mini golf, ping pong, thrill theatre, etc. I think I know my kids (12 & 10) and what they like and dislike. I also know myself and I would not take advantage of any of things you listed. I have no desire to fall on my ass in front of a bunch of strangers while trying to ride the flowrider. I also don't want to break my ankle again and fear that would happen when falling off. I have never had any desire to climb anything so wouldn't try any rock walls.

I see you have not been on Carnival in years and not on their newest ships so you can't really compare.

I would probably only book Royal on a port intensive cruise like Europe where the amenities don't matter because there is no time to use them. For our fun summer vacation we all want to enjoy ourselves.

and isn't it wonderful that there are a variety of ships out there for each of us to decide what we enjoy?

Can't we all agree that not everyone likes the same things and there is not a right or wrong about what a ship should have to allow people to enjoy themselves?

As I mentioned before, my kids prefer the activities on Royal, if your kids prefer Carnival, stick with them. No harm no foul, and no need for any of us to push anyone else to our side.

It seems that Carnival is a good fit for you. It is great that you have found a cruise line that works for you and your family. I have had the same luck finding one that works for me and my family as well.

Waterslides? Just curious. The water areas seems kind of boring to me without them!:p I know my son would be much happier on a ship with some! I have not planned anything yet-line or ship. Just started researching for next year!:D

Royal does not state why they do not have slides. Here are the answers that Adam Goldstein (RCCL COO) gave when asked this:

Q: "My family and I love Royal Caribbean, but my son keeps asking why your ships don’t have any water slides. He did love your kids’ club, but are you planning to have water slides on your ships?" – Michelle H.

A: "Hi Michelle, we continue to receive very positive feedback about our Adventure Ocean program and I’m glad your son enjoyed the program. At this time we don’t have plans to build water slides; however, we will send this suggestion along to our New Build team."

Q: "Have you ever considered adding a waterslide for adults on your ships?" –Andrew W.

A: "At Royal Caribbean we are proud of our legacy of innovation and introducing ‘first-at-sea’ amenities to WOW our guests. Exciting features including waterslides are always in consideration but unfortunately we aren’t able to add everything we would like. Our guest feedback is important to us so keep the ideas coming!"

How many share the flowrider or the rock wall on RCCL?

Not really a valid question. On CCL seadays, the only activities are fighting for a lounge chair, standing up like a sardine in an over crowded pool or water slide. So yeah, that slide gets real busy.

On RCL, you have pools, yeah, sure. You also have two different surfriders. However, there are other things that pull people away, like zip lining, rock wall, 3d theater, prominade parades, day time dive show,and maybe a day time ice skating show.

If RCL had a water slide, I don't think it would have a long line simply because the ship has so many people doing different stuff.

Not really a valid question. On CCL seadays, the only activities are fighting for a lounge chair, standing up like a sardine in an over crowded pool or water slide. So yeah, that slide gets real busy.

On RCL, you have pools, yeah, sure. You also have two different surfriders. However, there are other things that pull people away, like zip lining, rock wall, 3d theater, prominade parades, day time dive show,and maybe a day time ice skating show.

If RCL had a water slide, I don't think it would have a long line simply because the ship has so many people doing different stuff.

Actually there's other activities on Carnival ships besides pools and water slides, such as ropes courses, sports courts, outdoor pool tables, mini-golf...and they have daytime shows also.

Edited by time4u2go

Actually there's other activities on Carnival ships besides pools and water slides, such as ropes courses, sports courts, outdoor pool tables, mini-golf...and they have daytime shows also.

That's really pushing it. Never seen a pool table, though wasn't looking. Sports courts? Try one court. Mini golf? That can hold what, 30 people? Daytime shows? You mean the shopping show or art show? You are really scraping here.

That's really pushing it. Never seen a pool table, though wasn't looking. Sports courts? Try one court. Mini golf? That can hold what, 30 people? Daytime shows? You mean the shopping show or art show? You are really scraping here.

Apparently you haven't looked very hard:

http://www.carnival.com/onboard/sportsquare

In any event, your statement that the only things to do on Carnival ships on a sea day is lounge chairs, the swimming pool, and a water slide is clearly incorrect.

:rolleyes:

Edited by time4u2go

• 2 years later...

NCL Epic is my favorite for waterslides. I love the Epic plunge on the raft. NCL also has rock wall, zip line, mini golf so those are not exclusive to Royal. We sail all the family friendly lines. I do agree we don't choose Royal as much because of the lack of waterslides. And I dont agree with the comment about Carnival having nothing but a pool and games. There is the Hasbro game show during the day, waterslides, mini golf, ropes course, Vista has the skyride. I do hope the newer Royal ships include more waterpark options too.

After 2 and a half years of laying dormant The Great Waterside Debate is now back on.............

You want to know the really ironic thing? I started this thread and JUST booked our first cruise for next Oct. on Anthem last week. LOL! So, I guess as my kids got older, it didn't bother me as much.:')

You want to know the really ironic thing? I started this thread and JUST booked our first cruise for next Oct. on Anthem last week. LOL! So, I guess as my kids got older, it didn't bother me as much.:')

This debate will go on for a bit, lay dormant of a few years and be resurrected again when your kids aren't worrying about waterslides of flowriders anymore, but rather which bartender makes the best drinks! ;)

BTW have a nice cruise...

and have a nice cruise...

and....

How much older are they? :confused: