Check Out the Year-in-Review Slideshow, Then Vote for the Top Cruise Story of 2010

Dan Askin

What was the biggest cruise story of 2010?  

468 members have voted

1. 1. What was the biggest cruise story of 2010?

• Haiti Rocked by Quake
    • Reality Check: Island Crime in the Caribbean
    • Carnival's Banned Items List Sparks Controversy
    • Norwegian Epic Takes to the Seas
    • The Ash Cloud Takes Over Europe
    • Stormy Weather: Hurricane Season, Antarctic Trouble, Brilliance's List
    • Cruise West Goes Under
    • Passengers Behaving Badly: Anchorgate & Cunard's Booted Couple
    • Queen Elizabeth's Massive Debut
    • The Fire on Carnival Splendor
    • Introducing ... Allure of the Seas
    • Happy Endings: Returned Camera & Money Clip
    • Other -- Please Post

New ships were launched. Hurricanes barreled through Caribbean islands. Cruise lines made some curious decisions when it came to banning items.

2010 in cruising was certainly a year for the headlines.

Cruise Critic has assembled a slideshow of some of the top news in cruising over the past 12 months, from weather woes to passenger rows (think Queen Mary 2 and the two booted Manhattanites).

Check out our feature and then vote for biggest cruise story of 2010.

I'm still trying to figure how Celebrity putting the entire set of passengers off the boat, with no guidance or assistance, in a country in the middle of a general strike, and continuing to screw those passengers to this day, didn't even make the list.

I'm not sure it's the TOP cruise story of the year, but it certainly deserves a place in the top-12.

It would have been nice if this were a multiple choice poll. There were several choices I wanted to vote on. But I managed to pick one! I ended up voting for the Carnival Splendor fire.

Hmmm... I wonder if it would be a good idea to post a poll like this in the RCCL forum about the top Royal Caribbean story of 2010!

Celebrity Cruises should top the list as they left close to 2,000 passengers stranded in Barcelona & sent them on their way with little or no compensation, when their Century Ship lost it's rudders & the life boat cranes were inoperative.

I continue to file complaints with US agencies & have expanded to EU agencies.

Recently advised by US Maritime Agency, Americans embarking at foreign ports are at the mercy of the Cruise Lines & not protected by US Maritime Laws.

That's how Celebrity was able to beat up their passengers on the Century into submission, they are NOT required to compensate Americans under our laws, since they operate that ship under Malta's Registration".

Not sure how they compensated Europeans that are governed under European Maritime Laws?????

Take notice how Carnival compensated their passengers, not only with a full refund, but a Free future Cruise & numerous other goodies.

Carnival Ship sailed from the US Port of San Diego.

Celebrity Cruises should be the #1 Cruise Line on the Top Story List for 2010. & posted on the "Hall of Shame List"

Looking at the poll results thus far, I am a bit saddened that one ship's worth of passengers enduring a nightmarish few days seems to be a much larger story to most people than an earthquake that killed many and continues to this day require residents to endure a different type of nightmare. :confused:

Looking at the poll results thus far, I am a bit saddened that one ship's worth of passengers enduring a nightmarish few days seems to be a much larger story to most people than an earthquake that killed many and continues to this day require residents to endure a different type of nightmare. :confused:

For me I voted the fire because this is truly a "cruise story" for me.

A nightmare happened onboard that ended unbelievablyfabulous....everyone safe...yes it's true.

For me....yes the earthquake was devastating but the only connection with cruising was people making a stink about the ships going there after all the suffering. This is a disaster......but not a "Cruise disaster" for me.

K

No question Splendor is the top story..

but looking over the list...not sure what would be the second one...

I assume it includes the stories of the passenger killed by stray gunfire in St Thomas and the passengers robbed at gun point on St. Kitts, among other crimes, that made cruise headlines.

After the clear #1, the Splendor, I vote for the handling of the rudderless Celebrity Century that left its passengers stranded on the 2nd day of a 12 day Mediterranean cruise.

Here's the Cruise Critic story:

Celebrity Century Passengers Charge Cruise Line Has Left Them Stranded Again

I had to vote for my best friend in the Keys Paul..

Oh wait are you my only friend in the Keys?

Nope I know your wife too.

Hope you win Paul....

Other things happen all the time.

This is something that happens once in a Blue Moon and you were the one that shared it with us.

Good luck

Arvids

MS&RDT

Archived