Alaska Airline?

zlato

Wife and I booked a 50 day cruise the Fall which necessitates flying to Seattle for embarkation and returning home from San Diego I always try to arrange for direct flights when possible; however, my options are limited. I was able to find direct flights to and from our home vicinity(Florida) on Alaska Airlines (first class refundable) for a surprising low price when compared to other airlines and cruise arranged flights. Is this a case of "you get what you pay for" or does Alaska airline provide premium service at lower fares? I have researched Sky Trax, and the reivews are varied (superb, excellent, would not recommend, etc.) Since the tickets are fully refundable, I have ample time to continue my search; however, I would appreciate any comments from anyone who has flown with this airline. Thanks in advance.

Wife and I booked a 50 day cruise the Fall which necessitates flying to Seattle for embarkation and returning home from San Diego I always try to arrange for direct flights when possible; however, my options are limited. I was able to find direct flights to and from our home vicinity(Florida) on Alaska Airlines (first class refundable) for a surprising low price when compared to other airlines and cruise arranged flights. Is this a case of "you get what you pay for" or does Alaska airline provide premium service at lower fares? I have researched Sky Trax, and the reivews are varied (superb, excellent, would not recommend, etc.) Since the tickets are fully refundable, I have ample time to continue my search; however, I would appreciate any comments from anyone who has flown with this airline. Thanks in advance.

Not sure if our other reply went through. Our home airport is Seattle, and we fly Alaska frequently. They use 737s exclusively for longer flights and have recently upgraded Coach on most. We fly First for transcontinental flights, and have always had above-average food and entertainment plus good service. Baggage is usually exceptionally quick. Ask any specific questions if you have them.

IMO, Alaska Airlines is one of the best US airlines. I realize that isn't saying much, but a few years ago they won a JD Powers award and I've never had a negative experience with them. During a weather delay they were honest and proactive at providing updates.

Edited by kenish

Thanks for your responses. Frankly, wife and I try to avoid U.S. Airlines when taking international flights. Currently, most foreign carriers surpass the quality of service of U.S. carriers on international flights, especially first class and business. Our options are obviously limited with domestic flights, and try to always fly first class or business. That being stated, I was somewhat surprised to discover that we could obtain direct and refundable first class flights from Tampa to Seattle and San Diego to Orlando for less than fares listed by other domestic carriers. I have read that Alaska Airlines allow 2 free pieces of checked luggage (per person) in first class; however, how strict is the airline about charging slightly overweight pieces? Assuming the seating is not that of flat beds, how comfortable are the reclining seats? Regarding meals, I read one review that if you are seated in the rear of the first class section, that there are less choices of meal since they do not provide for the possibility of most people choosing the same selection. I also read some criticisms that the audio-visual system is basically a hand held device that is placed on the table provided for meals. Safety, of course, is the major concern; however, I have read only positive reviews regarding this concern. I was glad to read all of your comments which reflected friendly and efficient service on the part of the crews. Thus far, I have not read enough negatives which would change my mind; using Alaska Airlines for the designated flights.

P.S. I did read one comment that Alaska Airlines might merge with another carrier.

My DH and I fly Alaska as our 1st choice and yes we always fly First Class. Leaving for our annual winter vacation in Hawaii on Alaska in the first class cabin.

Flying Alaska is affordable, the service is good, food usually pretty darn good and yes they are strict about luggage weight. If you think you are over it is much cheaper to just pay for an extra bag and not stress yourself about it.

Running out of food in last row of First Cabin.... Well they may run out of your first choice I have had that happen so we always sit in row 2 :)

This has happened to us many times on other airlines so it can happen.

Cabin comfort, this is not an fancy United International First Class seat.

This is a 737 and the seats are just fine but these are domestic first class seats and nothing more. The cost of 1st in United or American I imagine would be very expensive as

compared to Alaska.

We fly Alaska because it's affordable and while they are not always perfect I have had better flights with them over the last 40yrs than with anyone else!

I love my Alaska miles they are taking us to Amsterdam business class on Dutch KLM (a partner)!

PS Alaska airlines is not for sale and they are not merging with anyone. That rumor keeps surfacing but you can ignore it...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by JVilleGal

If product is more important than price and you're in the Fort Lauderdale area (given AS fly to MCO, TPA and FLL) then consider an AA/AS combination MIA-LAX-SEA and back.

AA fly 777-200s once per day between MIA and LAX and they have a proper international first and business class seating configuration aboard.

First Class:

htelxz.jpg

The connection at LAX isn't ideal for all but I'm certainly more of a product over price person and the LAX transfer doesn't bother me.

Edited by fbgd

If product is more important than price and you're in the Fort Lauderdale area (given AS fly to MCO, TPA and FLL) then consider an AA/AS combination MIA-LAX-SEA and back.

AA fly 777-200s once per day between MIA and LAX and they have a proper international first and business class seating configuration aboard.

First Class:

htelxz.jpg

The connection at LAX isn't ideal for all but I'm certainly more of a product over price person and the LAX transfer doesn't bother me.

Needless to say the Alaska First Cabin will never look like that... Gotta wonder about the price difference, I imagine it is considerable ;)

I never claimed it was going to be cheaper, but for some people product trumps price...picking random dates in "fall"

FWIW, it's about $5k return for a straight MIA-LAX-MIA return trip.

2gu0ai1.jpg

Edited by fbgd

Same date Alaska Flt 777 Direct Tampa to Seattle departs 6:30pm arrives 9:25pm one way 5hrs 55 min.

$820.00 (sept 11 2015)

Needless to say that is a huge product difference! ;)

Yes it is. A domestic first class configuration (what you're seeing on AS for $820) doesn't even begin to compare to an international business class configuration, and the price reflects that.

Yes it is. A domestic first class configuration (what you're seeing on AS for $820) doesn't even begin to compare to an international business class configuration, and the price reflects that.

Nor does the price at over $7400 ;)

Edited by JVilleGal

I assume the OP is coming from the greater Miami area. Looking at the OP's cruise date (late September) and if the OP means "nonstop" rather than direct, then there are only two choices, American Airlines out of Miami, or Alaska Airlines out of Fort Lauderdale. If a plane change en route is acceptable, then there are a number of well-timed United itineraries with a plane change in Houston that are $100 - $200 cheaper (or so) than the Alaska or American nonstops, but everything is in a narrow-body 737.

Alaska's transcon first class is pretty decent. Unlike American with its shared screens, you get individual video players with movies etc., and later this year all Alaska planes will also be equipped with a wi-fi system that will let you rent movies and TV shows to play on your own phone, tablet, laptop etc. in flight.

I think the in-flight experience on Alaska in first class is pretty decent, but the gap between Alaska's and other airlines' is not great, and not up to wide-body business/first class standards on other airlines, or even up to Virgin America's first class, which is IMO the gold standard for narrow-body FC in North America, streets ahead of Alaska or anybody else.

...... Regarding meals, I read one review that if you are seated in the rear of the first class section, that there are less choices of meal since they do not provide for the possibility of most people choosing the same selection.....

This depends on the policy of the airline. I don't fly Alaska and am not familiar with their policy, but I know on United Airlines, meal preference is supposed to be determined by airline status, not your seat location. As a United 1K, I will get my meal choice over someone with lesser or no status.

Edited by grandma*knows*best

This depends on the policy of the airline. I don't fly Alaska and am not familiar with their policy, but I know on United Airlines, meal preference is supposed to be determined by airline status, not your seat location. As a United 1K, I will get my meal choice over someone with lesser or no status.

LOL :) Alaska is not that scientific! Though sometime the FA will start are row 4 and work her way to row 1 ;)

Does Alaska not do FEBO? Front on Even numbered flights and Back on Odd numbered flights...

I know American did away with this recently (changed it a bit), but many airlines still prescribe to it.

I know American did away with this recently (changed it a bit), but many airlines still prescribe to it.

They have? What has it switched to? I always pre-order anyway so it's slightly inconsequential but just curious.

Does Alaska not do FEBO? Front on Even numbered flights and Back on Odd numbered flights...

No, Alaska never did FEBO to my knowledge, just FEFO. But don't worry, that bucket of cheesy goo for the omelets is bottomless. What they don't do anymore is hand out a psalm with your Cheerios.

Alaska is suppose to be allowing the pre-ordering of meals. I have been unable to get a straight answer as to whether this includes First Class. I will know in 2 weeks as I am fly First to Hawaii and this is a test route for the pre-order program.

Alaska is suppose to be allowing the pre-ordering of meals. I have been unable to get a straight answer as to whether this includes First Class. I will know in 2 weeks as I am fly First to Hawaii and this is a test route for the pre-order program.

I was curious about their flights to Hawaii and noticed many have two connections with an overnight stay.

Is this what your flight will be like?

I live in Oregon so my flight is direct from Portland to Maui. Leave West coast time 11am and arrive Maui at 3:30pm. Fast and easy for us!

Now flying across country to Miami is a much different issue ;) but yes I fly Alaska direct out of Seattle...