Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Europe > Mediterranean - Eastern & Western > Italy Ports

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Italy Ports Capri, Florence, Genoa, Naples, Palermo, portofino, Rome, Sardinia, Sorrento, Taormina, Venice

Old October 1st, 2009, 06:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

Question Buying Soda's in Venice...

I'm wanting to take Diet Coke with me on the cruise. Is it very expensive to buy cans in Venice? Am I better off packing some 20 oz. bottles in my luggage, and bringing them from home?

Old October 1st, 2009, 06:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

Sodas are more expensive in Europe than they are here, but I would worry about going over the weight limit when flying. Paying for the extra weight would cost more than the extra you would pay for sodas in Europe.

Old October 1st, 2009, 07:22 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by lep1204 View Post
I'm wanting to take Diet Coke with me on the cruise. Is it very expensive to buy cans in Venice? Am I better off packing some 20 oz. bottles in my luggage, and bringing them from home?
You can find soda everywhere including diet if you simply must still have a a soda. As with all things they are a bit more in Venice and around Italy, but no so much that I think you'd consider lugging a 12 or 24 pack and taking up all that weight in your luggage.

Old October 1st, 2009, 07:23 PM
10,000+ Club

There is a grocery store near Piazzale Roma (close to the cruise port in Venice). I think it's called COOP. You should be able to buy soda there. I haven't been to Venice in a while, but in Rome you can buy a 20 oz bottle of Coca-Cola Light (their version of Diet Coke) for just under a euro in a grocery store -- the same bottle will cost you far more if you purchase it from a stand outside the Colosseum, for example. Venice may be slightly more expensive.

Old October 1st, 2009, 09:41 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Not sure what ship you will be on, but on Princess you can purchase a soda card that allows you unlimited refills of Coke products plus you will get a free mug.

Mike & Linda
Marlton, NJ

Old October 1st, 2009, 10:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandbanksguy View Post
Not sure what ship you will be on, but on Princess you can purchase a soda card that allows you unlimited refills of Coke products plus you will get a free mug.
I will be on Royal Caribbean. You can also buy coke cards, but I don't think I would drink enough for it to be worth it. Might just drink one, maybe two, per day. Suppose I could buy them on the ship as needed, but I just hate to pay a few bucks for a can of diet coke on the ship. Silly maybe

Old October 1st, 2009, 10:59 PM
5,000+ Club

I know how you feel lep but you're right, it's probably silly. If you happen to pass a place to buy a few cokes on your way to the ship, then fine, it was meant to be. If you don't, don't sweat it.

Old October 2nd, 2009, 01:40 AM
10,000+ Club

We have been to the COOP market near the Piazale Roma a few times and they usually have Coke Light. They also have some pretty decent box wine for about 11 dollars for a 5 liter box! The COOP market is pretty easy to find. Just walk down to the Vaporetto pier (it is on the left side of the Piazale Roma as you come across the bridge from the port) until you get to the water (Grande Canale) and turn left. Its right along the water in about 2 blocks.

Hank

Old October 2nd, 2009, 07:08 AM
50,000+ Club

As others have said I would go to the Coop market to purchase sodas.

I would not pack sodas in the luggage. It is not worth the risk should the cans open up plus the weight would be significant.

And there will also be other ports where they can undoubtedly purchase soda as well.

Keith

Old October 2nd, 2009, 10:10 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
I will be on Royal Caribbean. You can also buy coke cards, but I don't think I would drink enough for it to be worth it. Might just drink one, maybe two, per day. Suppose I could buy them on the ship as needed, but I just hate to pay a few bucks for a can of diet coke on the ship. Silly maybe

Unless you can get them at a grocery, the prices you'll pay for soda in Europe are probably at least as expensive as purchasing them onboard ship. Really, for a few $$$ savings, it's not worth worrying about.

FWIW, I'm a dedicated Diet Coke drinker and I've never had a problem tracking down a Coca Cola Light in any country in Europe (or anywhere else, with the possible exception of Egypt). Just remember, it will taste a little different than the Diet Coke you're used to.