Weather on Mediterranean in February

My wife and I will be on our first Mediterranean cruise (leaving Barcelona, Rome, Athens, Izmir, Alexandria, Malta) in mid February 2009. We have heard a number of concerns about bad weather on the sea at this time of year.

Is it really as bad as some people say. Has anyone been on a similar cruise in February and if so how was the weather. From our local paper it looks like it is also raining in most of the ports at this time of year. If it does rain, how bad of a storm should we expect, light showers or a real downpour. Thanks for any information anyone can provide.

This will be cruise number 16

1 on Carnival

3 on Royal Caribbean

11 on NCL

We have'nt cruised the med this time of year but being Brits, we get to Spain for some sun around now. We are off to Marbella this weekend for a week. Looking at the forecast the weather is not looking great but its better than the snow we are having here. We will have some sun but not like summer temps.It will be cool at night, probably cold actually. It certainly wont be as warm as CA.

The further across the med you get the warmer it will be. Dont expect too much in Barcelona and Rome

As far as the sea is concerned we have had rough seas sailing in the Med in September when the weather was much warmer. the Bay of Lyon which is on the approaches to Barcelona is particulalry notorious. Mind you we have experienced rough seas in the Caribbean, you cant control King Neptune !!

Have a great time

Sorry Bet on It, I don't have any experience of the weather in the mediterranean in Feb, but I did want to welcome you to the cruise critic message boards!:):)

This website is good for checking average temperatures and rainfall in various places. I have found it quite useful.

http://www.weatherbase.com/weather/country.php3?r=EUR&refer

Archived