Cape Liberty in January

luvsgiraffes

We are sailing out of Cape Liberty on the Explorer on January 31. I was wondering how I should plan on dressing for the first and last day at sea. I'm sure we will be staying inside most of the time, but is it cooler on the ship when it is in colder weather? Should we wear winter-type clothing or not? I want to be prepared but not over-packed. Thanks in advance for your help.

Edited by luvsgiraffes

We have cruised out of NY 2 times in the past The ship inside should be fine but if its cold outside its cold when you travel out to see the sights or cut threw the pool be ready to freeze. The carnival splender has a dome over the pool this is nice you can swim. You will have cold weather most likely 2 days out and 2 days in but its better then being home we are going on that ship march 11 let me know how you like it have a great trip.

It's a good idea to pack a sweater or wear it to the pier. We've sailed out of New York City numerous times during the winter. It will undoubtedly be cold the day you embark and likely disembark too. You may well be standing around outside waiting for a cab so best to prepared for the cold weather.

As far as aboard ship it's typically cold the first sea day out and the second sea day coming back. By the evening of the first sea day you will notice a big difference in the temperature much balmier and refreshing. It's quite magical cruising from wind biting cold to balmy breezes of the tropics.

Have a great cruise.

Jonathan

Thanks so much! That is pretty much what I was thinking. I know we will need to wear our coats to board so that we will have them when we return. I just wasn't sure how to dress once we were on the ship. So I'm thinking jeans or long pants and sweaters will be in order for at least two of the days. I can't wait to get out of the frigid north!! :)

Regular winter clothes -- jeans & a sweater seemed to the norm on all of our cruises out of NYC. Most people wore sweats around the ship the last day. The common areas get cold because some diehards insist on going outside & letting all that frigid air in, although on NCL they do close some of the doors so you can't exit, especially in foul weather.