Has anyone done Jamaica for a day?

mommyto2kids

It's a day pass at an All Inclusive Resort in Ocho Rios.

The reviews of the resort are mixed, but most poor reviews are about the rooms which we won't be using.

Just wondering if anyone has any experiences with this activity as we are considering booking it for 13 people.

We did the resort last year with a couple friends of ours and it was nice. The pool was great it had a large pool slide that a few of us did on multiple occasions. The bar was excellent and the bartenders very friendly. One named Monica had a drink called the Monica special, a few of those and youll be missing your ride home :D They had a little area for snorkeling and a fair beach. We would do it again. It was our first time to Jamaica and wanted something close and with safe transportation. We met the bus right at the gate and they took us on over. The resort on the day we went was not crowded at all and we especially liked that.

The resort we are looking at is not booked through the ship. The ship excursions both appear to be at a beach. This is at an all inclusive resort.

The resort is called Sunset Jamaica Grande. The trip advisor reviews are mixed, but most concerns seem to be about the rooms being run down and the food being the same day after day, neither of those impact us for a one day trip.

I have used JamaicaForaDay last year w/a stop in Ocho Rios...it was a blast! The resort used was SUNSET JAMAICA GRANDE. I had excellent service & quick responses to my email questions.

I was so impressed that my extended family is using JamaicaForaDay again when we stop in Falmouth during out cruise on the ALLURE of the SEAS in October! In Falmouth the resort used is HILTON ROSE HALL.

We have all climbed the Falls multipule times & done all the "touristy" things during our numerous stops to jamaica over the years, it is great to just have a nice all-inclusive day (that is much more cost effective than the cruise line's excursion options);)

We've booked JamaicaForaDay at Hilton Rose Hall for our December cruise on Mariner.... plan to book again with them for March 2013 when we take our grandchildren. From cruisers reviews, sounds great.... there are always folks who have something to complain about.... but overall everyone seems to have enjoyed the day.

• 2 weeks later...
What is the name of the resort you went to? Is this through the ship's excursions or on your own?

We booked ours threw Jamaica for a day and used there transportation. When you get off the ship and go to the end of the pier where everyone catches the buses and cabs tell them your there for Jamaica for a day and they will tell you where the bus is and they will take you there. When we went we the only 4 on the bus.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone- I too am interested in Jamaica-for-a-Day. It sounds like a great program. DH and I will be in Falmouth in March'12 and seeing how this is our first cruise (yay!) we are a little nervous about booking a trip outside of rccl. Our main concern is transportation back to the ship. Can you leave the resort whenever you want? Are there set schedule times that the bus leaves or is there only one time close to when the ship departs? I can't seem to find a clear answer to this question on their website so any info from people who have done this program would be much appreciated! Thanks and Happy Cruising!

Sarah and Craig :p:D

Sarah & Craig, first of all, we sailed several times and since the first two cruises have never booked via the ship. The other tour operators depend on cruise ship passengers for their paychecks and know that arriving at the ship in a timely manner is vital. We've never had even a close call.

Jamaica For a Day in Falmouth... our confirmation from them shows that they will meet us at the pier at 8:30 a.m. It states that we arrange with the driver OR with the Jamaica Tours Limited staff at the Hilton Rose Hall Resort BELLMAN'S DESK for our return transfer. That means YOU choose the time you go back. Our cruise on the Mariner sails at 5 o'clock, so you should schedule your transfer for no later than 3 o'clock.

I promise to post and let you know how it goes for us. We're pretty laid back and don't complain much, but I will be honest if something is not right!

It is really awful when you take your first cruise.... cause then you are HOOKED and can't get enough of the relaxation!!!

Dinah

Thanks Dinah! Your feedback was very helpful. From reading advice on this website it sounds like booking outside of the cruise line is the way to go to get the best excursions. I'd love to hear about your experience at Rose Hall Hilton once you return! Like you and yours, we're pretty laid back as well so this excursion sounds like a perfect way to spend the day. As for getting hooked on cruising....that's my plan!!!

Thanks again!

Sarah

usacol- were you hassled much on the way to the bus by locals? also, I have heard the resort will hold your ship n sail card while you are there. Anybody know why they do that?

When we used Jamaica for a Day in MoBay to visit Sunset Beach Resort, yes they did take our sign and sail card from us when we entered. I was a bit concerned at first but I think it's simply to make sure you leave when you're supposed to! They know we need that card to get back on the ship and there was no problem getting it back when we left the resort.

If we ever do this resort again, I would not book the transportation through Jamaica for a Day.. simply get a taxi at the port. Neither the bus nor the rep from the tour company were there to meet us when our ship docked and we wasted about 3/4 of an hour waiting while the rep from the Jamaica Welcome Hut called them to tell somebody to come for us. When they showed up, there were only four of us in the bus and we arranged for them to come back for us at 2:30... nobody showed up to pick us up at the resort and we ended up paying for a taxi back to the ship. Keep in mind, we'd already prepaid transportation to and from the ship. The only time we were bothered by the locals was when we got dropped off at the port and had an hour to spare so we decided to visit some stores in the port area...After walking through one, we decided we'd had enough and got back on the ship. :rolleyes:

• 4 months later...

We just returned from a cruise on the Allure of the Seas last night :(. Always sad when it is over. We booked Jamaica for a day from Falmouth. We received our voucher which told us to be to the transfer area by 8:30 am promptly, or they would leave us. Twelve of us were there, they got us onto our small bus, and we waited. There were four others who had arranged for the transfers as well, and they never showed up. We waited for over half an hour for them and it was kind of irritating. The driver asked us when our all-aboard was for the ship. It was 4:30, so he said he would be back to get us at 3:00 sharp. Once again, we waited, as four from our original group apparently took a taxi back to the ship early. If they are going to make such a big deal about being on time, then they should be, and not make those of us who are on time sit and wait. The resort itself was nice and the waterpark is fun. They did not take our ship card at the resort, just the voucher and then gave us a wristband. I talked to one man who was staying there and they said they had enjoyed the week.

Upon returning to the port area, the vendors seemed to be more aggresive than when we left in the morning. I guess they wanted to get those last few sales. I didn't see much else to do in the port than shop, so I'm glad we had arranged something.

traveljunkiedenver - thank you so much for posting the review. Were you at the Sunset or Hilton Rose resort? Based on all the transportation issues, we are leaning towards taking a taxi on our own. Wonder how far the resorts are from Montego Bay?

traveljunkiedenver - thank you so much for posting the review. Were you at the Sunset or Hilton Rose resort? Based on all the transportation issues, we are leaning towards taking a taxi on our own. Wonder how far the resorts are from Montego Bay?

unionville3- we went to the Hilton Rose Hall, which is the only option from Falmouth. The website states that it is about 25 minutes from MoBay to the Hilton and only 7 minutes to Sunset Beach. I have no idea what a taxi would run, sorry.

• 2 weeks later...

...nobody showed up to pick us up at the resort and we ended up paying for a taxi back to the ship. Keep in mind, we'd already prepaid transportation to and from the ship.

How much was the taxi & how many in your party? Was it easy to catch one @ the Hilton on such short notice? Thank you!

Hi Everyone- I too am interested in Jamaica-for-a-Day. It sounds like a great program. DH and I will be in Falmouth in March'12 and seeing how this is our first cruise (yay!) we are a little nervous about booking a trip outside of rccl. Our main concern is transportation back to the ship. Can you leave the resort whenever you want? Are there set schedule times that the bus leaves or is there only one time close to when the ship departs? I can't seem to find a clear answer to this question on their website so any info from people who have done this program would be much appreciated! Thanks and Happy Cruising!

Sarah and Craig :p:D

We are going to be in Jamaica in March, and we are looking into doing Jamaica for a day too...have you booked it yet? The more I read on it, it sounds like they are slow getting you picked up, but it also sounds expensive if you get your own transportation back to the ship.

...nobody showed up to pick us up at the resort and we ended up paying for a taxi back to the ship. Keep in mind, we'd already prepaid transportation to and from the ship.

How much was the taxi & how many in your party? Was it easy to catch one @ the Hilton on such short notice? Thank you!

The taxi from Sunset Beach in Mobay back to the port was $4.00 each and there was 4 of us.. not sure about the Hilton though?

The taxi from Sunset Beach in Mobay back to the port was $4.00 each and there was 4 of us.. not sure about the Hilton though?

How long ago did you did Jamaica for a day and have to pay for your own taxi back? It sounds like I should just arrange my own taxi to and from...but I have heard that could cost a lot of money? But you said you only paid $4.00 each...that is not bad at all.

How long ago did you did Jamaica for a day and have to pay for your own taxi back? It sounds like I should just arrange my own taxi to and from...but I have heard that could cost a lot of money? But you said you only paid $4.00 each...that is not bad at all.

It was just last year that we did Sunset Beach resort in MoBay and yes, the taxi fare is pretty much the same as what "Jamaica for a Day" charges for their transportation. The resort is very close to the pier and probably if it wasn't so hot, it would even be walkable. Just make sure you negotiate the price of the taxi before you get in! ;)

Archived