Good Gay Novel Recommendation?

Mermen

We usually bring a few good books to read on board, great for sea days in the spa or solarium, or on our veranda.

On my last cruise read "Summer Cruising" a really good gay fiction by Dave Benbow, the story takes place on a 7-day Mediterrenean cruise, on the cruise ship RMS Princess Diana, LOL. Little bit of mystery, romance and er, um lots of fun. It was a fun and great read.

Anybody have any recommendations for a good vacation read? Thanks! :)

Edited by Mermen

I love the "Tales of the City" series by Armistead Maupin. The first three are available in an anthology the includes "Tales of the City", "More Tales" and "Further Tales".

As you may know, they are set in SF and tell the intertwined story of the fascinating characters. These are set in the late 70's - early 80's and were originally serialized in the SF Chronicle.

Edited by Tomato53
Title s/b "Welcome to 28 Barbary Lane"

Hi Mermen, good to hear you love the series too. We took the DVDs on our last cruise. It's one of those things I can watch over and over.

My partner and I are constantly quoting lines from the series that apply to what's happening around us!

Definitely agree on the Tales of the City series - they're wonderful - easily some of the best books I've ever read, whether with gay characters or not. Don't forget the two more recent sequels about Michael and Mary Ann.

Also, if you enjoy fantasy, check out the trilogy "The Last Herald Mage" by Mercedes Lackey. Typically I'm not a big fan of hers (too many typos), but this trilogy could almost have been written by someone else. The main character is gay, and the three novels are really good. Whopper of an ending.

On the young adult front, Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan or Geography Club by Brent Hartinger were both sweet, if maybe a little forgettable.

If you want something saucier, check out the Mitch Mitchell mysteries by James Lear - fun vintage settings, cute mysteries, and man, can he write some hot saucy :). I wasn't as impressed with the few other books he's written, though - the characters were quite unlikeable and the plots, without the mystery, were dull.

I'd love to know what everyone else recommends too - it's always tricky finding good gay fiction that isn't either really heavy and melodramatic or poorly written.

Edited by roen

I loved-loved-loved the cable mini-series and the anthology!

Totally agree. Tales of the City can be read again and again and still enjoyed thoroughly. Michael Tolliver Lives & Mary Ann in Autumn are just the cherries on top of the icing on the Maupin cake.

Tomato53, we've also been known to quote our favourite lines from TOTC...well when we're not quoting Victoria Wood that is :)

Whatever you decide to take along Mermen be sure and have a great cruise.

I also really enjoyed the newest additions to the Tales of the City books. I also enjoyed the night listener, Maupin's thriller a few years ago that was butchered into a movie.

I really like Jim Grimsley's book Comfort and Joy, a book about a couple making a go of it. For light fun, I like E Lynn harris's books and a book called Two gentlemen Sharing, by William Corlett. Very silly and very fun.

Who doesn't love Tales of the City! A fine vacation/beach read from an upcoming author is Andrew Grey's An Unexpected Vintage, which takes place in part on a cruise. There are many of his other novels that are a great beach read, if you don't mind tearing up in public while reading--some of his stories are real tearjerkers, but always end on a happy note.

Who doesn't love Tales of the City! A fine vacation/beach read from an upcoming author is Andrew Grey's An Unexpected Vintage, which takes place in part on a cruise. There are many of his other novels that are a great beach read, if you don't mind tearing up in public while reading--some of his stories are real tearjerkers, but always end on a happy note.

Totally agree with you, we read "Unexpected Vintage" too and it was wonderful! Yes...some teary moments. :)

sounds great. Just put it on order at the local gay book store.

Since you are on vacation and indulging the exotic, may I recommend K. Sello Duiker's _The Quiet Violence of Dreams_. It's set in Cape Town, and explores the coming out and embracing of newfound (deep) sexuality by both Tshepo, the protagonist, and the city of Cape Town herself. I promise, you will not be disappointed. Tsheppo is a more sexually aware Michael from _Tales of the City_ and Mmbatho, his best friend, is a Mary Ann sans Midwestern sensibilities. It's a page turner best enjoyed with cocktails around the pool.

on the lighter side, I love to laugh so here are some suggestions:

How I paid for college, a novel of sex, theft, friendship and musical theater by Marc Acito.

Tapas on the ramblas by Anthony Bidulka, a detective novel taking place on the Dorothy ll during a Mediterranean cruise, laughs are garanteed...

Are you planning on carrying a paper book or reading on the Kindle or similar device? I've read a couple on the Kindle recently. They were free when I "purchased" them, but they are not all free currently, so I take that as a good sign.

Oleander House by Ally Blue - a supernatural mystery, a bit grim, but sets up a series.

Marked - A Northern Shifters Novel by Joely Skye. Sort of a werewolf adventure with gay sex

Daron's Guitar Chronicles by Cecilia Tan. A very cool look at the independent music scene in the late 80s with a closeted gay guitarist protagonist.

Oddly enough, those are all written by women.

Mmmm Tapas on the Ramblas...that may be a little close to home, LOL! Or how about Saints and Sangria? hehe. I'll check into those, sounds good.

Thanks for eveyrone's recommendations, looking forward to downloading what I can (some are not available on e-readers yet).

Bairpairdfw, I have an iPad for my e-reader. No more paper books for me, magazines yes though... Funny, since owning my iPad, I have put close to 65 books on it and love every minute of reading. I figure I'm close to breaking even on it now! :) Worth every penny though. Looking forward to taking it on our next cruise too.

We have about 3 grocery bags full of some very good gay books, and in good condition. These range from romance to western to self-help to gay astrology and most are novels. Would love to donate them to Celebrity's library, but I doubt they would shelve them. Will have to find another organization to donate them to.

Edited by Mermen

FYI - there is an LGBT Community Center in Concord (Rainbowcc.org) that has a library and is always looking for used books. They have extensive youth, senior and HIV programs and books are available to all the clients.

We have about 3 grocery bags full of some very good gay books, and in good condition. These range from romance to western to self-help to gay astrology and most are novels. Would love to donate them to Celebrity's library, but I doubt they would shelve them. Will have to find another organization to donate them to.

Thanks bdjam. That's not too far from us. You know I completely forgot about that center. When my son was in elementry school and I came out, they were a good resource...that was about 14 years ago!

Good thought, thanks again.

You're welcome - they are still doing excellent work for the community and its good to hear that the Center helped you in your specific situation (I was a Board member for 10 years ;) )

Have a great cruise!

Thanks bdjam. That's not too far from us. You know I completely forgot about that center. When my son was in elementry school and I came out, they were a good resource...that was about 14 years ago!

Good thought, thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...
Michael Thomas Ford has some good titles, and I'm always partial to David Sederis writing....in addition to the others mentioned....

I've been tempted by MTF a few times but have never committed. Is it a fluffy read (not that that's a bad thing)?

I've tried Sedaris a few times and I just can't get into it. His quirkiness seems very forced to me.