How "crisp" does the money have to be for SPB tour operators?

Private Tour with TJ coming up, I have read here numerous times that they prefer to be paid in 100's, and they want the bills "crisp". Went to the bank on Saturday, they didn't have any "new from the Treasury" bills, but picked me out enough nice ones to cover our fare. DW is concerned that they aren't crisp enough and we might have to pay with a credit card and incur the fee the tour charges for credit card purchases.

I guess I can take these bills to another (bigger?) branch and try to get brand new bills, but is that necessary?

Thanks!

Private Tour with TJ coming up, I have read here numerous times that they prefer to be paid in 100's, and they want the bills "crisp". Went to the bank on Saturday, they didn't have any "new from the Treasury" bills, but picked me out enough nice ones to cover our fare. DW is concerned that they aren't crisp enough and we might have to pay with a credit card and incur the fee the tour charges for credit card purchases.

I guess I can take these bills to another (bigger?) branch and try to get brand new bills, but is that necessary?

Thanks!

I asked the same of SPB and they seem to indicate they want bills that are not torn or written on--I wouldnt worry....I am sure they will be happy to take your money :)

the expression, 'crisp' can cover a lot of ground.

Yes the bills have to have that sort of 'crispness' in them, but they sure do not have to be new. It is not so much the tour operators will not take them, the Russian banks do not take them. As was said, as long as the bills aren't torn, crumpled up and just have no sort of crispness to them, you will be fine.

Cheers

Len

We were also told by SPB that as long as the bills weren't torn, crumpled or written on they would be fine. They made no mention of requiring $100 bills.

This is correct, and I should have mentioned it. We chose $100's mostly to save space.

I know this sounds over the top & a little OCD, but I did try misting the bills with very little water & then hit them with iron & they crisped up to like new! Due to fiber in paper apparently, works & only takes a moment... We got 100 dollar bills to save space too.

Have a great tour!

Linda

Your tour company should tell you what they accept. Alla takes U.S. dollars as do street vendors, etc., thus the issue of crisp bills. You can also pay with cc but be sure your bank knows you'll be charging in Russia.

Linda

I used TJ Travel (good choice) and the bills ($100's) I used were good condition...not perfect..some not so crisp..and had no problem...Don't stress you and your money will be fine....ENJOY !!!!

I'm just curious - I have a question for the posters who will pay for their tour in cash. Is there any concern with carrying aorund so much cash in USD? We will be in Copenhagen for a couple days pre-cruise and I would be concerned in having so much cash on hand. How do you handle that?

I used TJ Travel (good choice) and the bills ($100's) I used were good condition...not perfect..some not so crisp..and had no problem...Don't stress you and your money will be fine....ENJOY !!!!

Thank you, thank you. The more replies like this, the better I feel about it!

I'm just curious - I have a question for the posters who will pay for their tour in cash. Is there any concern with carrying aorund so much cash in USD? We will be in Copenhagen for a couple days pre-cruise and I would be concerned in having so much cash on hand. How do you handle that?

We'll be leaving our cash in the safe in our stateroom except on the day we have to hand it over to the tour company. For pre-cruise time, maybe your hotel has safes in the room? Otherwise, I'd suggest one of those thin, underclothes pouches/moneybelts that you can buy.

I also recommend the under the clothing belts and not around the neck on a string or fanny pack. I tuck the cash into the lightweight cloth pouch, zip it, snap the elastic belt together around the waist, and then tuck it under all the layers of clothiong so it sits right next to my skin where no one will get it!

I have also been known to take a big safety pin and pin it to the first layer of my clothes as added security (yes, that would be pin it to the underwear). I always use the hotel security box if an option exists and on the ship, leave all valueables in the safe.

I also use a small luggage lock to lock my purse zipper onto the purse "O" ring on the handle. I have an old combination mini luggage lock that is not TSA friendly but it works well to keep my purse zipped and locked and/or lock the backpack zipper close.

I guess the message is - think safe from all eyes, roaming hands, and possible ripoffs.

I have a related question. We're touring with SPB tours in SPB and Berlin. Which currency should we pay in? Should we just bring US dollars?

Since our tour was quoted in USD, we took USD - even though it's not our currency.

This avoided any potential confusion/ill-feeling on exchange rates.

Tips are at your discretion & any sensible currency

We took enough Roubles to tip our guide, I do like to have local currency in my pocket. Used some to buy a few beers, & replaced them with euros.

JB :)

I have a related question. We're touring with SPB tours in SPB and Berlin. Which currency should we pay in? Should we just bring US dollars?

Our SPB Tour for Berlin was quoted in Euros, not dollars, you might check to be sure. They're expecting dollars in St. Petersburg and Euros in Berlin.

Since our tour was quoted in USD, we took USD - even though it's not our currency.

This avoided any potential confusion/ill-feeling on exchange rates.

Tips are at your discretion & any sensible currency

We took enough Roubles to tip our guide, I do like to have local currency in my pocket. Used some to buy a few beers, & replaced them with euros.

I think your guide would rather have been tipped in US Dollars. Or Sterling, or (even now) probably Euros.

I think your guide would rather have been tipped in US Dollars. Or Sterling, or (even now) probably Euros.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

The rouble is stable. Any reason why a Russian guide would prefer to be tipped in a foreign currency?

The rouble is stable. Any reason why a Russian guide would prefer to be tipped in a foreign currency?

Because they don't trust their government? I wouldn't know because it's some time since I was there - but many countries with somewhat dodgy governments (including Greece) prefer US Dollars.

The litmus test is the street traders. I was amazed in 1977 when an old lady selling postcards would rather have an English 10p piece than Italian money.

I have wondered the same thing? I wonder if it is because they can make money on the conversion to roubles?

• 3 weeks later...

Our bills were crisp enough for our tour company, they barely even counted them, never mind look at them carefully. And guide and driver each seemed pleased with their greenback tips.

Thanks for all the advice and comfort!

Archived