embarkation

Speedyguy36

When getting on a ship , do individuals with wheelchairs get to go on first,

Generally speaking only if you are in a suite or have a high higher loyalty level. Otherwise it can be wait to board as there are not a lot of cruise personal available to assist those in wheelchairs. Nor are there a lot of wheelchairs available at the pier if you didn't bring your own in which case one than has to wait their turn. You're assisted in the order that you checked in with the person organizing wheelchair assistance.

If you able to assist yourself or have a family member than can assist you than you go when ever your loyalty classification is boarding.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Boarding a ship is NOT like boarding a plane....it's basically whoever is next in line. If you need assistance, they will allow you to the front of the line....but they won't hold up boarding until all handicapped people are on! Boarding takes HOURS...folks will start around 11am...and continue until 90 mins. prior to sailaway.

On HAL ships, people in wheelchairs usually are boarded first. Then come Suite guests and high number day repeaters.

Obviously, only those in wheelchairs who are present and checked in would board first. They don't always know for certain in advance how many total guests will board in wheelchairs.

Edited by sail7seas

Again, this will vary by line! I have cruised three different lines and they all handled it differently. You need to go to the forum for your line and ask to get accurate info. Otherwise you only have people talking about how the line they sailed on handled it, or guessing.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

On HAL -- so far those of us who use wheelchairs go first.

This way there is no back-up in the elevators. As soon as they get all of us on the ship, then the Neptune Suites and 4 and 5 Star Mariners go next.

In some embarkation ports -- scooters go after wheelchairs and sometimes they don't.

The problem in answering that is not only do different lines do different thngs but people arrive at the terminal at different times. They aren't going to hold up everyone for 3 hours for all possible wheelchair passengers.

AND there are often several places where there may be a wait... going through the metal detectors, checking in and getting your sea pass, and just plain getting on the ship.

IF you arrive before boarding starts, you will likely be asked to wait in a separate area and may be allowed to board first.

But after boarding starts, there may be a separate waiting area close to the next step and when there's a lull, or an attendant, or however they have it set up.

Suffice to say you will be well taken care of and they've dealt with wheelchair passengers before you. The cruise lines do an amazing job of getting people on and off the ships.

We took my dad on a cruise & he got to cut the line. A Princess employee came over to the cab & put him in a wheelchair, then just like at the AP the employee pushed dad to the front of the line for his security screening / metal detector. Once we were through there, the employee took us to the priority boarding line & we checked in quickly. The employee then took us to a "secret" elevator while most other passengers took the ramps.

I thought they would just give dad the wheelchair for boarding then have him sit in the various lines.

I had to board in a wheelchair a couple years ago. I am so fortunate it was a temporary situation and by the end of the cruise I was strong enough to walk under my own power. The cruise line was Princess, the port was San Pedro and no, there was no special treatment. We went through the lines like everyone else, which was fine.

On Carnival they changed boarding and now those needing HC assistance are boarded after VIPs but before zone 1 starts. If you arrive at the pier after general boarding has begun there is no special access.

If they are being assisted by a member of staff, that person needs to get through as quickly as they can, in order to get back to help someone else.

I would think that anyone not able to board on their own would have an assistant with them. It's not like they can expect assistance from the crew around the ship the whole cruise.

It is common for staff to assist wheelchair bound people on/off the ship. I for one hope this common courtesy stays around for a long time.

If they can't do it themselves and don't have an assistant, how do they expect to get around the ship?

If they can't do it themselves and don't have an assistant, how do they expect to get around the ship?

my traveling companion can't walk the long distances involved embarkation/disembarkation so uses the wheelchair for this only. While on board she doesn't need assistance. this is quite common.

my traveling companion can't walk the long distances involved embarkation/disembarkation so uses the wheelchair for this only. While on board she doesn't need assistance. this is quite common.

I'm not trying to be contrary, but the ships I've been on, both large and small, had as much walking to get to the dining rooms and activities as there was to board. Maybe even more so in some cases.

I'm not trying to be contrary, but the ships I've been on, both large and small, had as much walking to get to the dining rooms and activities as there was to board. Maybe even more so in some cases.

Sounds logical, but it's not quite that simple. Generally when you're headed to the dining room or other activities, you're not holding up a long line of people eager to get through check-in and get on board. If you are walking at a much slower pace or struggle with your luggage, it can be a very stressful situation. Sometimes people get impatient behind you, other times they are polite as can be, but you still don't want to hold up the show. In our case, my wife had a stroke when she was 19 (we're now in our 40s) and she has limited mobility. We have learned that getting a chair just from check-in to gate at the airport dramatically reduces her stress level along with the physical challenges. We didn't think about a chair for check-in on our cruise last spring, and we made it on board. But, she was pretty stressed and fairly tired out by the time we made it on board. We thought that the staff did an awesome job getting so many people onboard rather quickly. The line moved at a pretty fast pace. She had trouble keeping up. We are now looking into the process for our upcoming spring cruise. Why start an awesome trip with unnecessary stress. You don't necessarily need to be totally disabled to benefit greatly from the use of a chair. Once on board, she will move around at her own pace and do just fine. Oh...and we're buried in snow and extreme cold in Michigan right now. Mentally, We're already onboard!

It's not (usually) a matter of being alone, most companions/spouses are handling carry- ons and paperwork and such. It's a courtesy to lend a hand to expedite both embarkation and debarkation.

Because ramps may pose more of a problem than can be handled by the person in the wheelchair, or by a spouse or traveling partner who would otherwise be able to assist on flat ground.