Disembarking in Cairns, Australia

My husband and I are taking a cruise aboard Royal Caribbean's Rhapsody of the Seas cruise ship in February 2015. We are disappointed that Royal Caribbean does not offer excursions to Great Barrier Reef while in Cairns, since viewing the reef is suppose to be better in Cairns than in Airlie Beach. The itinerary we received said that the ship is suppose to dock at 8:00 a.m. on February 21st and depart at 5:00 p.m. on February 22nd. There is no option for us to take a tour on the second day since our private operators don't arrive back until 4:30 p.m. and it's a ten minute walk from the fleet terminal to the cruise port. We are trying to get one scheduled for the first day. However, the itinerary we have states we dock at 8:00 a.m. and the information the independent tour guides have is we dock at 9:00 a.m. We would prefer to go with "Sunlover" which departs at 9:30 a.m. This will give us four hours at the pontoon at Moore Reef. We also have another option through "Great Adventure" which departs at 10:30 a.m. This will allow us three hours at their pontoon. Sunlover gives us more time at the reef and is slightly cheaper than Great Adventures. We are more interested in the time factor than the monetary one. I'm not sure if anyone has experience with either of these companies or with the disembarking process in Cairns. Were you able to get off the ship quickly after the stated time on your itinerary? I spoke with two people at Royal Caribbean who were of no help at all as to the discrepancy. Thanks in advance for any suggestions or information.

why not try doing it this way

If you book this tour, that goes to Green island and a pontoon (http://www.visitcairns.com.au/store/Product.aspx?ProductID=a9601156-5989-44cb-b9a9-9773a102bbde) and don't make the 8.30 departure then the one leaving at 10.30 is the same tour without the green island bit (http://www.visitcairns.com.au/store/Product.aspx?ProductID=a55395db-f863-485b-8198-244f31a0553e)

• 1 month later...

We did a trip out to the reef with the company "Reef Magic Cruises". They were great. The timing was perfect and the snorkeling was unbelievable. We also did two introductory scuba dives.

To whet your appetite on what's to come I have some photos of the QLD trip (11/11) at http://www.flickr.com/photos/ozbrian

If you are doing the reef, I'd suggest you do it from Cairns as opposed to Airlie.

you write: If you are doing the reef, I'd suggest you do it from Cairns as opposed to Airlie.

After looking at your pix, i'm afraid to go in the water. :eek:

Edited by Trekker954