Southwest seating question

Lionesss

We have never used Southwest as our airline carrier, and our TA suggested we looked into it for the price, as an option and they are on the luggage valet program.

Well I am looking and one question well I cannot figure out how it works.

Now Southwest says they do not have assigned seats.

You board in zones.

Well how is it determined which zone you are in?

Is it first come to the airport first serve?

Or

Is it by the date you purchase your ticket.

I really dont want to have to worry about fighting for a seat with a vacation that is supossed to relax you.

We usually travel United or previously Continental, but keeping our options open.

We usually try to get a non-stop flight.

Thanks for any help.

Sea Ya

We have never used Southwest as our airline carrier, and our TA suggested we looked into it for the price, as an option and they are on the luggage valet program.

You board in zones.

Or

I really dont want to have to worry about fighting for a seat with a vacation that is supossed to relax you.

We usually travel United or previously Continental, but keeping our options open.

Thanks for any help.

Sea Ya

We always purchase the early bird option so they assign our boarding group early. Im not sure if that depends on when you purchase it or not, but we have always been in the A (first boarding) group except for one time we were in a low number in the B group. Check in online 24 hours before your flight to find out what you get. Once you board the plane you just choose a seat! Its pretty nice. DH like the aisle seat and so I always sit in the middle. Have to get up a few times for the person sitting by the window but its ok. We will book Southwest whenever we can. Its simple and they usually fly out of airports that are smaller ( Midway Chicago vs Ohare). Look on their website. There is a lot of information there.

A little more detail:

There are 3 boarding "zones", lettered A, B and C... Within each group you are given a number, from 1 to 60. The folks in the A group line up first in order 1-30 in one line, and 31-60 in another... Once A1-30 board, B1-30 take their spots in line and so on....

Boarding numbers A1-15 are reserved for the highest priced tickets called business select. If you purchase the "early bird" option Southwest will assign you your boarding number 72 hours prior to departure. Other wise, as others have said, you can check in online 24 hours ahead of departure and get the next available boarding spot.

Typically, the only time I use the early bird option is on a return flight from a cruise where I may not be able to access the Internet when I want to.

Aloha,

John

Early Bird boarding passes are issued in the order in which the Early Bird option is purchased. It's not necessary to buy Early Bird when you initially buy your ticket - you can decide to add it to the ticket later.

If you change your booking, Southwest allows you to apply the entire value of the original ticket toward the new booking (if the new booking is cheaper you have a year from the day you bought the original ticket to apply the leftover value). BUT, if you've paid for Early Bird and then change your booking, the Early Bird cost ($12.50 per direction) is forfeited.

So there is some value in buying Early Bird when you buy your ticket (to get a lower numbered boarding pass) but there is also value in waiting until you know you will not be changing to a different flight (to avoid forfeiting the Early Bird fee).

I have booked with SWA, bought Early Bird, then changed my booking. My Early Bird transferred to the new booking date. Maybe this is not true in every case. Southwest is our favorite. Better customer service, fewer gotcha fees and rules, no baggage fees.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Forums mobile app

A little more detail:

There are 3 boarding "zones", lettered A, B and C... Within each group you are given a number, from 1 to 60. The folks in the A group line up first in order 1-30 in one line, and 31-60 in another... Once A1-30 board, B1-30 take their spots in line and so on....

Boarding numbers A1-15 are reserved for the highest priced tickets called business select. If you purchase the "early bird" option Southwest will assign you your boarding number 72 hours prior to departure. Other wise, as others have said, you can check in online 24 hours ahead of departure and get the next available boarding spot.

Typically, the only time I use the early bird option is on a return flight from a cruise where I may not be able to access the Internet when I want to.

Aloha,

John

So you need to be in the exact order that's on your boarding pass...what do you do ask everyone around you for their number and step into place...sounds a little strange to me.

Thanks for all the post.

So there is a fee to be an early bird.

When I price United out of Cleveland Southwest is only $75 less for next July..............we will need August, I am sure the prices are not much different.

I wonder if it is worth savings so little.

MMMMM

Thanks again everyone.

Sea Ya

I wonder if it is worth savings so little...MMMMM...
Only you can decide what appeals to you more. RT Early bird=$25. United checked bag (1st)=$25. Could be a wash. Do you have more than one bag? $75 is still $75. I use a small carryon, so overhead space is not a huge issue for me and I don't need to be one of the first 45 people on the plane. Also, I kinda like not having an assigned seat and being at the back of the A group or at the front of the B, because I can pick who I am sitting next to or near. Unlike when I have a specific seat assignment that winds up next to the hacking, wheezing passenger or seat-kicking toddler.

I am A-List Preferred status on Southwest. This is the way it works.

A 1-15 - The people that paid for business select.

Next A-list members in the order they checked in.

People that paid for Early bird checkin in the order that they purchased Early Bird

Everybody else in the order that they check in.

If you check in at the 24 hour mark you will normally get a decent number. As long as it is not a continuing flight with a lot of people that stay on you can usually get an aisle seat toward the back with anything less than B30.

As far as lining up by numbers most people do not worry about exact number as long as you are in the right 5 number section. The sections are well marked, it will make a lot more sense when you see them.

Don't believe the stories about cattle prods.

Early Bird boarding passes are issued in the order in which the Early Bird option is purchased. It's not necessary to buy Early Bird when you initially buy your ticket - you can decide to add it to the ticket later.

If you change your booking, Southwest allows you to apply the entire value of the original ticket toward the new booking (if the new booking is cheaper you have a year from the day you bought the original ticket to apply the leftover value). BUT, if you've paid for Early Bird and then change your booking, the Early Bird cost ($12.50 per direction) is forfeited.

So there is some value in buying Early Bird when you buy your ticket (to get a lower numbered boarding pass) but there is also value in waiting until you know you will not be changing to a different flight (to avoid forfeiting the Early Bird fee).

A Southwest telerep explained that you will forfeit your EBCI only if you cancel the booking for which it was purchased ... if you change (rather than cancel) the reservation the EBCI remains on the booking and is not forfeited.

Edited by pms4104

I travel quite a bit for work....close to Platinum on AA this year so far....I fly SW on occasion for price alone.

Everything that has been said here is accurate,,,the link posted, while somewhat comical, is accurate.

Here's the 2 things that have not been mentioned....SW usually flies into the smaller airports. If you're taking a cab, no problem....I can't stand driving to them. In Dallas, they fly out of Love Field...actually based here...I would rather drive to DFW. In Chicago, they only fly out of Midway. O'Hare is much easier to get in and out of. This is simply my opinion and something to consider.

Another thing to think about....if you have 4 travelers and are in group B, it will be slim pickings for seats together. Usually my B40 it's mainly middle seats left.

I only fly SW now when AA is way too much or when they send me free drink coupons :D

Thanks for all the post.

So there is a fee to be an early bird.

When I price United out of Cleveland Southwest is only $75 less for next July..............we will need August, I am sure the prices are not much different.

I wonder if it is worth savings so little.

MMMMM

Thanks again everyone.

Sea Ya

For US flights we fly United. We tried Southwest once.

If you have a United Mileage Plus Visa and buy your plane tickets with it, your bag is free. If you buy your plane ticket and the other passenger, both get free bags.

Do pay the small additional fee and get the early boarding.

The earlier you book this feature which you can add on to your existing reservation the more priority you have in line and once on the plane will have good choices.

Although Southwest does not have assigned seating I find that they have one of the best boarding processes of any airline.

Again, pay for the priority boarding feature. It is well worth it.

Keith

You board in zones.

Or

Thanks for any help.

Sea Ya

Get to the airport early.....

Get to the airport early.....
That hasn't been required with Southwest in years (a long time ago boarding passes were issued in the order that you showed up at the gate). Either check in online as close to 24 hours before the flight as possible or pay for Early Bird and enjoy some peace of mind. Edited by Underwatr

You board in zones.

Or

Thanks for any help.

Sea Ya

One thing that has not been addressed in any of the replies is the issue of using Southwest Airlines along with RCCL's Luggage Valet Program. If using RCCL's Luggage Valet Program you have no control over the actual on-line checkin progress even if you do pay for Southwest's Early-bird checkin. Someone in Guest Services on board the ship will be doing all the check-in for you along with everyone else participating in RCCL's Luggage Valet Program regardless of the airline so you have no assurance of what time you will be checked in nor chances of being checked into an early group number.

If you want better control over the check-in process than suggest not using the luggage Valet program and using one of the 2 following methods of check-in when booking through Southwest.

• Leave all ticket information with someone at home who will than check in for you the minute the 24 hours check-in process begins. Don't worry that you won't have the actual boarding pass as you can than get a duplicate boarding pass when you arrive at the airport.

or

• Pay to use RCCL's onboard computers and do the check-in yourself when the 24 hour period begins.

Edited by xxoocruiser

I fly on SW a lot and frequently fly solo. They don't overbook flights anymore (or less) then any other airline. I've never been bumped and I really don't care all that much where my seat is as long as I get onto the flight. Many times I don't even check in on line within the 24 hrs. Perhaps if flying with family or friends it's more of an issue to be seated together so if the boarding process/seating with SW causes too much angst, then it's probably worth it to fly on an alternate carrier for a few bucks more and have assigned seats from the time you book the flight. Most importantly, my experience has been that SW is not ALWAYS the least expensive or even the same price as other carriers.

You'll definitely have a seat, you just might not "like" it. If you're willing to go with the flow, just line up with the rest of the cattle call, mooove your way onto the plane, and pick the best seat that catches your eye. If you're used to United, SW will be a massive culture shock; I'm a United addict (for better and worse), and I happen to avoid SW like the plague.

Also, SW has a very "meshy" route network, so your odds of a suitably-timed non-stop are super slim.

The boarding process and check in is really simple once you think about it or do it. Their flight attendants are almost always in a good mood & passengers seem happy.

And bags fly free is a plus. We put everything in cargo instead of struggling to find cubby holes onboard.

Early bird is awesome for end-cruise flights (don't have to book it both ways).

But if you really fly a lot, how can you pass them up with the Companion Pass program? Had that for three years in a row and took so many more trips than we would have (could have) otherwise. Literally, the program is what the name implies.

Luv Southwest!

We love Southwest!

2, count 'em, 2 bags fly free, which can translate to fewer passengers vying for valuable overhead space for humungous carry-ons. The boarding process is different, but once you're used to it, it actually goes smoother than other airlines - no pushing and shoving to be at the front of the line for that oh-so-valued overhead space. You go when you're assigned. Period.

We use the early-bird check-in when we know it'll be a hassle to try to check in exactly 24 hours in advance, or when there are a bunch of us and would like to be seated close together. Most of the Southwest customers are pretty cool, and since no one has pre-selected their seats, finding someone to switch with to get 2 seats together shouldn't be a big deal, as long as you don't expect someone to hand over the exit row seat that they managed to nab!

When I've accidentally been in the "C" group, it really hasn't been that big a deal. Even if you're the very last person to check in, you won't be flying on the wing!

AND, the flight attendants are usually funny and happy.

Edited by srlafleur