Cruising and returning with illness . Is it worth it .

kenshaz

We have not cruised for a couple of years . Why? You might ask .

On returning from our last cruise I came back infected with a severe chest infection . Which persisted for about four month's .

We paid thousands of pounds to fall ill . Large numbers of people herded together increases the odds that you will catch something.

It is not worth it. There is no way to protect yourself .

No -one is suggesting that you avoid all contact with fellow human beings . But it is about odds and exposure .

On returning from our last cruise I came back infected with a severe chest infection . Which persisted for about four month's .

We paid thousands of pounds to fall ill . Large numbers of people herded together increases the odds that you will catch something.

No -one is suggesting that you avoid all contact with fellow human beings . But it is about odds and exposure .

It sounds like you might have a fear of crowds.

You can get very sick from being in a group of 3 or 3000. You have

to make choices in life and I personally can not worry about it or I would never come out of my house. I choose to cruise and just be careful and enjoy my life. I hope you can too.

No fear of anything . The particular cruise that I refer to ,we also contracted Norovirus . Which lasted a few days .

However the chest infection was very persistent and remained with me for a considerable amount of time on return. Very unpleasant with the potential for more serious conditions.

It is a fact that a ship is a place that multiples the odds considerably . Shown by the persistence of Norovirus on cruises .

In fact I cannot think of any other place that gives you weeks of enclosed conditions with so many people.

Touch wood . We are have no major medical conditions . But if you are vulnerable . The odds are increased "a fact"

It sounds like you might have a fear of crowds.

You can get very sick from being in a group of 3 or 3000. You have

to make choices in life and I personally can not worry about it or I would never come out of my house. I choose to cruise and just be careful and enjoy my life. I hope you can too.

Any contact creates a risk factor. However there is less risk with 3 than 3000.

It is about choice . Our experience made us think.

We all need some exposure to enable us to build immunity . But a ship is an unnatural environment and you can do nothing to protect yourself . It needs to be considered if you are vulnerable.

13 cruises and never once returned ill or got ill on board. Yep, totally worth it!!!

By your line of thought, airplanes, subways, and concerts should also be avoided.

Edited by Out to sea!

hmmm... why should anyone post on the question asked 'Is it worth it?'.

The OP already answered the question in his/her mind.

stated in the original post.

'it is not worth it'.

To the OP - If you asked the question and already answered it... why post?

13 cruises and never once returned ill or got ill on board. Yep, totally worth it!!!

By your line of thought, airplanes, subways, and concerts should also be avoided.

I guess you got lucky. We have cruised more than you and our luck ran out . Yours might also.

The length of exposure time wise is greater on a cruise and the virus has the opportunity to increase it's penetration and go round and around . Then it's percentage increases .

I am not talking about avoiding life . But a cruise is a unique experience and if you are vulnerable . Think about it.

I am asking the opinion of other cruisers and those who are yet to cruise . Yes and guess what I have experiences and opinions and the right to post them.

No problem, don't cruise.

Next.

No problem .Don't reply ,if you have not got a constructive opinion or have no experience.

This forum is about people talking about their experiences and allowing people to be informed and make choices .

There should be awareness .

The last time I had severe bronchitis I picked it up at the office....wish I could stop going there .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am talking about choice and awareness . I guess the need to work is a necessity and you work or don't eat . I paid to be sick.

No problem .Don't reply ,if you have not got a constructive opinion or have no experience.

This forum is about people talking about their experiences and allowing people to be informed and make choices .

There should be awareness .

Thanks for the public service announcement.

Who knew cruising put you in close contact with others? I thought it was all crazy talk until I experienced it.

Here's an opinion. If you don't like to cruise, don't. If you like to cruise, do.

Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

That's what I'm wondering. Their last cruise was years ago so I don't see the point....at all. If you prefer not to cruise for whatever reason, then don't.

Edited by cruizinisthebest

Thanks for the public service announcement.

Who knew cruising put you in close contact with others? I thought it was all crazy talk until I experienced it.

Here's an opinion. If you don't like to cruise, don't. If you like to cruise, do.

Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Yes it does increase your chance of contracting a virus . The industry loses millions through it every year and some people do choose not to cruise because of it .

Not only Norovirus ,but upper respiratory and an bronchial infections that can become complicated

Therefore it should be considered if you are vulnerable or are not prepared to increase your risk of infection on board and beyond .

I am asking the opinion of other cruisers and those who are yet to cruise . Yes and guess what I have experiences and opinions and the right to post them.

still not sure what you are looking for. First of all you made it a statement of fact in your post 'It is not worth it'... period. not much more to say after that.

if you are asking people who cruise, of course they are going to say its worth it or they would not cruise anymore.

if you are asking people who have yet to cruise... how will they know if its worth it

are you looking for the .0001% of people that might have experience the same thing as you?

Bottom line.. If you dont feel its worth it, then no one who has cruised will change your mind. I assume you have had other vacations that you enjoyed that you didnt get sick.

or are you just posting so you can tell people how bad it is to cruise? (On a cruise forum no less)

OP..what responses are you looking for? I believe most responses here are going to be be...yea..it's worth it...either cause they've cruised, not been sick and don't fear the risk...or....like me...I've been ill after a couple cruises, more en likely picked up something after traveling and cruising with over 3000 of my closest friends and family..it can happen....but I viewed it like riding a horse...fall off...brush off...get back on.....so I really don't worry about "the risk"...in fact have 2 cruises booked now.....however...I'm kinda thinking those who DON'T feel it's "worth the risk" and have stopped cruising because of fear of getting sick again...probably are not posting here....

you have every right to post what you want within the rules of the forum... so is everyone else that have replied.

I think you will probably get a better reception and better responses on the Sandals Resorts forum. Maybe there are a few there that cruised, got sick and vowed never to cruise again.

:confused:

What ship are we supposed to avoid:confused: Why are you suddenly on the Carnival boards? When did you contract this illness? What ship?

No particular ship. Our experience was on a P&O cruise and as I said it was over two years ago and there was considerable publicity ,with passengers holding meetings in the main forum. Captain disappearing and would not address the passengers . Chief Executive Carol inviting passengers to write to her. That was Norovirus . We caught that and severe respiratory.

you have every right to post what you want within the rules of the forum... so is everyone else that have replied.

I think you will probably get a better reception and better responses on the Sandals Resorts forum. Maybe there are a few there that cruised, got sick and vowed never to cruise again.

:confused:

Not after a reception. Never vowed to never cruise again . But it needs to be considered . Mass gathering on a ship is increasing as ship's get bigger and it is competitive and it needs to be considered if you feel that getting ill ,is something you would like to avoid.

Edited by kenshaz

Not after a reception. Never vowed to never cruise again . But it needs to be considered . Mass gathering on a ship is increasing as ship's get bigger and it is competitive and it needs to be considered if you feel that getting ill ,is something you would like to avoid.

so you are hear to spread the word on the evils of cruising....

errrr, ok. good luck with that