BOGO Happy Hour

rgmacm

Still available on Crown as of last week, 3pm-4pm in wheelhouse most days and 11pm-12 in Skywalkers only on glasses of wine, but I saw Korbel being purchased and both mini bottles unopened - same for beers too.

Good, I hope they don't change anything as we're on the Crown in October. I think their Happy Hour of BOGO is a good deal.

We were on the CB last fall and the BOGO$ was still being offered. We will not be on the CB again until fall 2018.

It was on the Ruby two weeks ago. Afternoon BOGO$ was from 3:30 to 4:30 PM in the Wheelhouse Bar and 10:00 to 11:00 PM in Skywalker's. The afternoon BOGO$ was very crowded but the evening BOGO$ was a virtual ghost farm. We will be back on the Ruby this fall so we will see if their are any changes.

Edited by satxdiver

Does anyone know if wine toppers fit beer or cider bottles? We have a flat one from a local winery and it seems like that would work for if they opened the second bottle before we are ready. I think it was around $2 so we would buy a few more if it would also work for other bottles.

Does anyone know if wine toppers fit beer or cider bottles? We have a flat one from a local winery and it seems like that would work for if they opened the second bottle before we are ready. I think it was around $2 so we would buy a few more if it would also work for other bottles.

my husband was drinking bud lite and they used the aluminum bud lite bottles that you purchase in the states. Maybe try it on your bottle of choice at home?

Plastic bottle tops are available all over the place. Cheap and you just pop them on. Reusable. I don't see why anybody would pay $2 for something like this.

Plastic bottle tops are available all over the place. Cheap and you just pop them on. Reusable. I don't see why anybody would pay $2 for something like this.

Compared to the decorative wine toppers we have (which are too tall to work well anyways) we thought the $2 was a good price.

Are the plastic bottle tops sold several to a pack? Would they be found where you buy wine/beer or in the kitchen section of Walmart/Target?

I'm from rural PA and our liquor laws are different from most states. Only recently did grocery stores (and then only some) start selling wine and beer. Previously you had to go to the "State Store."

I remember my using a rubber plunger/stopper on coke bottle (the old 16 oz returnable), to keep the fizz in. Unfortunately it is over 40 years old and the rubber is cracked. I don't know if they are still made anymore.

We were on the CB last fall and the BOGO$ was still being offered. We will not be on the CB again until fall 2018.

It was on the Ruby two weeks ago. Afternoon BOGO$ was from 3:30 to 4:30 PM in the Wheelhouse Bar and 10:00 to 11:00 PM in Skywalker's. The afternoon BOGO$ was very crowded but the evening BOGO$ was a virtual ghost farm. We will be back on the Ruby this fall so we will see if their are any changes.

Interesting. Seems like the BOGO offer is a ship by ship practice. Some are saying it's no longer offered on the CB, yet you had it on the Ruby. I am hoping that management will see this is a failed exercise and that more profit is generated with this. What they are seeing now is less margin, so it's a case of tripping over the dollar bills to pick up the pennies.

The other mistake is the Platinum/Elite Lounge practice of moving the passenger favorite drinks off the menu and replacing them with Foo-Foo drinks and then only a special price for the drink of the day and not all the ones on the menu offered. Big mistake....another "ghost town" in the making at Skywalkers.

Compared to the decorative wine toppers we have (which are too tall to work well anyways) we thought the $2 was a good price.

Are the plastic bottle tops sold several to a pack? Would they be found where you buy wine/beer or in the kitchen section of Walmart/Target?

I'm from rural PA and our liquor laws are different from most states. Only recently did grocery stores (and then only some) start selling wine and beer. Previously you had to go to the "State Store."

I remember my using a rubber plunger/stopper on coke bottle (the old 16 oz returnable), to keep the fizz in. Unfortunately it is over 40 years old and the rubber is cracked. I don't know if they are still made anymore.

I haven't purchased any for years as they last a long time and I use them infrequently. If I was to look for more now I'd look in the supermarket, Target, Walgreen's, CVS, the dollar store, or places like that. They are several to a package and very inexpensive. They just pop on the top of any standard beer or soda bottle and work well.

enhance

Interesting. Seems like the BOGO offer is a ship by ship practice. Some are saying it's no longer offered on the CB, yet you had it on the Ruby. I am hoping that management will see this is a failed exercise and that more profit is generated with this. What they are seeing now is less margin, so it's a case of tripping over the dollar bills to pick up the pennies.

I hope so too that they will look at it that way, especially for us who have been used to the BOGO promo.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The other mistake is the Platinum/Elite Lounge practice of moving the passenger favorite drinks off the menu and replacing them with Foo-Foo drinks and then only a special price for the drink of the day and not all the ones on the menu offered. Big mistake....another "ghost town" in the making at Skywalkers.

We tend to buy drinks when we can catch a deal and simply do not buy them otherwise. Without the BOGO option, we'll spend less on board.

We tend to buy drinks when we can catch a deal and simply do not buy them otherwise. Without the BOGO option, we'll spend less on board.

We're like you & with bars having few customers in late afternoon, the BOGO$ generates much more income than without it.

If it averages about $5 per drink with BOGO$ that's still more profitable because it creates much greater sales during a slow time. The bar's staff gets 15% from many, many drinks which certainly beats yawning from boredom because there isn't much for them to do. I'm confident that hour is their best time of the day for the 15% tips & that they wouldn't want Happy Hour to end.

Whether it was HQ bean-counters or overzealous staff on the Caribbean attempting to impress their superiors, it was a poor decision & having not read about it expanding from the Caribbean they may already realize that it's another failed idea.

Reduced prices resulting in greatly increased drink orders beats a few orders at the regular price.

BOGO is definitely not being offered on the Caribbean Princess. We just disembarked from her yesterday and there were no afternoon or evening BOGOs. Very disappointing.... and a mistake, I think. Both the Wheelhouse in the afternoon and Skywalkers at night were ghost towns.

As of mid July, BOGOs were still being offered on the Pacific Princess both afternoon and evening in the Pacific Lounge.

One can also buy wine by the bottle at BOGOs. As explained to me by staff on the Pacific, they assume 5 glasses per bottle and charge that much for the first bottle. The second bottle (BOGO bottle) is then $5 (5 glasses at $1 each.) I assume this only applies to the wines that they offer by the glass and not the entire wine list from the restaurant.

There is a live from (forget which ship) that says any of the new drink specials can be ordered at the special price every evening.

We're like you & with bars having few customers in late afternoon, the BOGO$ generates much more income than without it.

If it averages about $5 per drink with BOGO$ that's still more profitable because it creates much greater sales during a slow time. The bar's staff gets 15% from many, many drinks which certainly beats yawning from boredom because there isn't much for them to do. I'm confident that hour is their best time of the day for the 15% tips & that they wouldn't want Happy Hour to end.

Whether it was HQ bean-counters or overzealous staff on the Caribbean attempting to impress their superiors, it was a poor decision & having not read about it expanding from the Caribbean they may already realize that it's another failed idea.

Reduced prices resulting in greatly increased drink orders beats a few orders at the regular price.

Policy comes from headquarters, this is obviously a test on Carib Princess & unfortunately for us as we on the 10/07 sailing.

I haven't purchased any for years as they last a long time and I use them infrequently. If I was to look for more now I'd look in the supermarket, Target, Walgreen's, CVS, the dollar store, or places like that. They are several to a package and very inexpensive. They just pop on the top of any standard beer or soda bottle and work well.

enhance

Thank you for the picture, Thrak. I haven't noticed those in my area before. I glanced at the grocery store this weekend and only saw can covers, but will keep my eye out between now and October.

Unless they have beer that DH will want, it may not even be an issue too. Does Regal serve any stout or porter (draft or bottle)?

Thank you for the picture, Thrak. I haven't noticed those in my area before. I glanced at the grocery store this weekend and only saw can covers, but will keep my eye out between now and October.

Unless they have beer that DH will want, it may not even be an issue too. Does Regal serve any stout or porter (draft or bottle)?

Probably only Guinness which, in my opinion, is not a good stout. I drink stouts in brew pubs everywhere I go and Guinness is really pathetic compared to most of them. I'm not a real fan of nitro beers (such as Guinness) but have had some that are very good. Guinness really lacks body. I doubt they will have anything that would be even close to a decent porter either. I am extremely disappointed in the beer selection on Princess ships.

Probably only Guinness which, in my opinion, is not a good stout. I drink stouts in brew pubs everywhere I go and Guinness is really pathetic compared to most of them. I'm not a real fan of nitro beers (such as Guinness) but have had some that are very good. Guinness really lacks body. I doubt they will have anything that would be even close to a decent porter either. I am extremely disappointed in the beer selection on Princess ships.

Good to know. I know he's had Black and Tan (Guiness/Harp) and Black and Blue (Guiness/Blue Moon), but tends to prefer local micro brewers. Maybe he will find something good at Saint John or Halifax.

• 5 months later...
We just got off the Golden Princess Melbourne to New Zealand and back. There is no more happy hour at all. :(

I never got it on my 3 night 2016 sailing, so wasn't expecting it in October. It would be nice to try it out, but hopefully I will still have the option of 6 cans of Soda for the price of 5. IIRC, it's available through Room Service when I get into the Window Suite. I'm guesstimating AUD$15 per 6 cans, and saving money on that budget.