Cunard wins best large cruise line award

Ray66

Well, jointly with Celebrity.

The best cruise lines as chosen by readers in the Telegraph Travel Awards 2014, the world's biggest reader travel awards.

The results of the Telegraph Travel Awards 2014, one of the most comprehensive and reliable surveys of its kind, have now been announced.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/cruises/11270812/The-worlds-best-cruise-lines.html

Great news!

Can anyone give me an insight into Cunard Vs Celebrity? what did you like about each line? what didn't you like? how the two compare? etc

I wouldn't mind trying Celebrity one day :)

Oh boy! Where to start?:eek:

I've sailed at least a dozen times on each, on Celebrity, a greater variety of ships. On Cunard it was just QE2 and QM2, as for me, Cunard is all about true ocean liners, whether on a TA or just a cruise. Sadly, QM2 is their only ocean liner.

I found service and cuisine on each to be pretty much equal, though Cunard might have a slight edge if you want to spend $$$$$ in the Grills. However, Celebrity shines with some of their for fee restaurants. The Olympic restaurant on Millennium is to die for!

Celebrity is "modern luxury", Cunard is "British tradition", though I think being owned by Carnivore has diluted the brand a bit. Perhaps the same can be said for Celebrity being owned by RCI.

It's not an "apples / oranges" comparison. It is more a green apple / red apple comparison.

I think if you love Cunard you should love Celebrity. They are just different takes on the luxury theme.

On the basis of one trip on each line, I have to agree that they fall at about the same level.

On both, our trips were middle-grade for the ship (Britannia Club on the QM2 and AquaClass Suite on Celebrity's beautiful Reflection), which meant enhanced dining at all three meals, which we find attractive. Based on only one meal for each line, I think the main dining room experience is better on Cunard, though. Celebrity, however, has the edge in terms of number and quality of specialty outlets. It will be interesting to see if Celebrity's new suite program produces a product truly on the Grills level.

Celebrity is significantly less formal, of course, with much less attention to dress codes and decor that is airier and more contemporary than Cunard. To me, the more traditional look and feel of the QM2 makes travel more of an occasion; Celebrity, for example, lacked the elan that the Chart Room and Commodore's Club (let along the Queen's Room) so amply provide. On the other hand, Celebrity boasts the adults-only Solarium indoor pool, a much-appreciated amenity.

As for staff and service, we found it generally excellent on both. The waitstaff in Blu, Celebrity's "one step up" dining room, were generally well-trained and attentive, although the line appeared to be stretching them rather thin. I'd give Cunard a slight edge, at least in Britannia Club, just from the polish and consistency of service.

Fellow travelers? I seem to pay less attention to others than some, but I found them about the same - trending older, but a strong leavening of travelers in the their twenties and up, mostly very pleasant-seeming sorts of people. I feel very lucky that none of our voyages to date have had much in the way of children!

Celebrity now seems to be aiming toward a younger, if equally affluent demographic, and some might find the music raucous and the entertainment (which included a very mildly "blue" burlesque cabaret) a tad much. Then again, I fall on the side that likes the harpists and string quartets on Cunard, with a nice foxtrot at tea time, so they're clearly not marketing at me!

The best cruise lines as chosen by readers in the Telegraph Travel Awards 2014, the world's biggest reader travel awards.

The results of the Telegraph Travel Awards 2014, one of the most comprehensive and reliable surveys of its kind, have now been announced.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/cruises/11270812/The-worlds-best-cruise-lines.html

Cunard wins best large cruise line award

Cunard is a large cruise line?

Telegraph Travel Awards 2014 is one of the most comprehensive and reliable surveys of its kind?

There is only one survey of its kind since the Telegraph sponsored the award.

It's all good, taken in context. -S.

I do get the idea that Celebrity has its sights on a younger yet still sophisticated crowed. I myself am in my mid 20's and the styling of their ships does have my attention i must say!

I will say in regards to Cunard that they too should also try aim in the near future to try draw a younger set aboard. Im not saying out with the old in with the new or anything like that, I'm just saying to ensure the popularity of the line well into the future they will need to lure in "the next generation". Funny thing is, that it may not be as hard as they think it may be.. for example it is very trendy at moment for people my age to be more sophisticated, elegant, "wealthy" (or at least act that way so to speak), young guys are loving to wear suits at the moment and partake in the finer things in life.. It seems to be "in fashion" at the moment! I think in large part thanks to movies such as "The Great Gatsby" it has really gotten young people (especially young men) into the idea of dressing up, presenting one self as best one can and being more "formal" with their scotch and cigars, designer suits and clean cut looks. young guys seem to want to look like they've "made it" even though they haven't yet. Cunard could use this trend to their advantage. I mean, it doesn't get much more Gatsby than traveling on the worlds largest ocean liner in Art Deco style, dressed in a suit, smoking a cigar and enjoying a cognac does it?

Just a thought? :o

I do get the idea that Celebrity has its sights on a younger yet still sophisticated crowed. I myself am in my mid 20's and the styling of their ships does have my attention i must say!

I will say in regards to Cunard that they too should also try aim in the near future to try draw a younger set aboard. Im not saying out with the old in with the new or anything like that, I'm just saying to ensure the popularity of the line well into the future they will need to lure in "the next generation". Funny thing is, that it may not be as hard as they think it may be.. for example it is very trendy at moment for people my age to be more sophisticated, elegant, "wealthy" (or at least act that way so to speak), young guys are loving to wear suits at the moment and partake in the finer things in life.. It seems to be "in fashion" at the moment! I think in large part thanks to movies such as "The Great Gatsby" it has really gotten young people (especially young men) into the idea of dressing up, presenting one self as best one can and being more "formal" with their scotch and cigars, designer suits and clean cut looks. young guys seem to want to look like they've "made it" even though they haven't yet. Cunard could use this trend to their advantage. I mean, it doesn't get much more Gatsby than traveling on the worlds largest ocean liner in Art Deco style, dressed in a suit, smoking a cigar and enjoying a cognac does it?

Melb, I agree with you that Cunard needs to attract more customers. But I'm not at all sure that attracting a younger, trendy passenger will have best results, long term. Trendy passengers tend to go with the trend - they are fickle. Today, it is "The Great Gasby", tomorrow it could be the "Flintstones".

In general, Millennium passengers do not have the time or resources to take world cruises, or the inclination to do transatlantic crossings.

It's being at sea in a safe vessel, an attractive itinerary and pleasant amenities that will attract sailors of all ages. I believe it as simple as that.

Life on a ship is not a dress rehearsal, it is real life - just my thought ;)

Salacia

Edited by Salacia

Melb, I agree with you that Cunard needs to attract more customers. But I'm not at all sure that attracting a younger, trendy passenger will have best results, long term. Trendy passengers tend to go with the trend - they are fickle. Today, it is "The Great Gasby", tomorrow it could be the "Flintstones".

In general, Millennium passengers do not have the time or resources to take world cruises, or the inclination to do transatlantic crossings.

It's being at sea in a safe vessel, an attractive itinerary and pleasant amenities that will attract sailors of all ages. I believe it as simple as that.

Life on a ship is not a dress rehearsal, it is real life - just my thought ;)

Salacia

You do make a great point!!

I have only done 4 cruises on Celeb but have found them excellent, but over 40 with Cunard mainly due to sailing from Southampton. At the moment Q.M.2 is looking very tired and badly needs a REFIT and bringing it back to its former glory.

I have cruised on Celebrity and Cunard.

I think the skill of the butlers on QV and QM2 was higher than on Celebrity. The butler on QM2 and QV anticipated my needs and set up anything I needed. They even offered to pack and unpack for me. I did it myself but the butlers on Celebrity did not offer. The butlers were comparable in terms of socialization skills. They were conversant in American. Asked appropriate questions related to my home city of Nashville TN. And got along with me greatly.

The rooms on QV cruises and Equinox were almost exactly the same. At the end of the ship with a larger balcony. I find the décor bland in the suites for some reason the decorators think Beige and brown is a nice color. I want reds and blues and vibrant color.

The food on QM2 and QV were far and above better than Celebrity. In my simple southern taste and opinion. But I never had a bad meal on either brand ship. I like all the performers although some are repeats after a few cruises. But I always enjoy them. I like bingo on QM2 the best. The guys running it are just fun. I wish QM2 did more Caribbean cruises and or Hawaii from LA and back again. I don't fly so hard to hook up with my favorite ships. So I have utilized Celebrity and RCI. When I retire I will definitely be a transatlantic regular and world cruise fixture.

Check in and check out are somewhat dependent on port staffing so I don't judge a Line on that issue. hope it helps

I have cruised on Celebrity and Cunard.

I think the skill of the butlers on QV and QM2 was higher than on Celebrity. The butler on QM2 and QV anticipated my needs and set up anything I needed. They even offered to pack and unpack for me. I did it myself but the butlers on Celebrity did not offer. The butlers were comparable in terms of socialization skills. They were conversant in American. Asked appropriate questions related to my home city of Nashville TN. And got along with me greatly.

The rooms on QV cruises and Equinox were almost exactly the same. At the end of the ship with a larger balcony. I find the décor bland in the suites for some reason the decorators think Beige and brown is a nice color. I want reds and blues and vibrant color.

The food on QM2 and QV were far and above better than Celebrity. In my simple southern taste and opinion. But I never had a bad meal on either brand ship. I like all the performers although some are repeats after a few cruises. But I always enjoy them. I like bingo on QM2 the best. The guys running it are just fun. I wish QM2 did more Caribbean cruises and or Hawaii from LA and back again. I don't fly so hard to hook up with my favorite ships. So I have utilized Celebrity and RCI. When I retire I will definitely be a transatlantic regular and world cruise fixture.

Check in and check out are somewhat dependent on port staffing so I don't judge a Line on that issue. hope it helps

Where you in Queens Grill or Princess Grill?

~Steve

I think your social set must be extremely limited if you think young Australian men are as you describe.

Oh boy! Where to start?:eek:

I've sailed at least a dozen times on each, on Celebrity, a greater variety of ships. On Cunard it was just QE2 and QM2, as for me, Cunard is all about true ocean liners, whether on a TA or just a cruise. Sadly, QM2 is their only ocean liner.

I found service and cuisine on each to be pretty much equal, though Cunard might have a slight edge if you want to spend $$$$$ in the Grills. However, Celebrity shines with some of their for fee restaurants. The Olympic restaurant on Millennium is to die for!

Celebrity is "modern luxury", Cunard is "British tradition", though I think being owned by Carnivore has diluted the brand a bit. Perhaps the same can be said for Celebrity being owned by RCI.

It's not an "apples / oranges" comparison. It is more a green apple / red apple comparison.

I think if you love Cunard you should love Celebrity. They are just different takes on the luxury theme.

We have cruised Celebrity for years, reach elite status a few years ago. We enjoyed the old Celebrity alot, the new ships just don't seem to the same appeal for us. We have curised the Equinox, the Ecilpse and more recently the Silhouette. Just seems to have something missing. Like you say, the ships are modern... but the MDR is over crowded, noisey and we have always found the food and service hit and miss, same with the entertainment on board for us. We tried BLU, still did not seem to measure up compared to Princess, HAL or Cunard.

By comparison we cruised on the Queen Victoria and found a very upscale traditional cruise experience that was far more consistent, so much so, we booked the same ship again within 6 months in the same year.

We are not new to cruising we have well over 50 cruises on 9 different lines over the past 30 years. We currently cruise primarily on Princess, HAL and Celebrity. We enjoyed Cunard a lot, have booked the QM2 for a 14 night out of New York in October, probably will book another cruise through the Panama channel on one of the smaller queens just because we love the traditional style on Cunard. We prefer Princess, HAL and Cunard over Celebrity.. there seems to be something missing on X for us.

Our cruise line of choice used to be Celebrity. We love to "couples dance" and the music and venues on our last trip (on the Solstice) was the worst dance experience of any cruise that we have taken. It is obvious to me that they are catering to a younger audience. I much prefer the dancing on the Cunard ships. I also prefer the more formal atmosphere of the Cunard ships. If I take another Celebrity cruise it will only be because I cannot find a convenient Cunard cruise to book. If dress codes and dancing don't mean much to a person, then I would recommend Celebrity.

Happy Cruising! Jerry of Jerry and Lady Kathryn