St. Bart Port on Azamara Quest Cruise

NBHS

Hello. We are going on the Azamara Quest on March 16-27, 2014 leaving from Miami. We have booked excursions thru the cruise line except for St. Barts. We would appreciate any information you can give us about this particular port.

Thank you. NBHS

This is a tender port so we just took the tender into town and walked around. We stopped for a drink at one of the bars on the yacht harbor. It was wonderful just to sit and enjoy the scenery. Several people walked over to the beach but we aren't beach people. I think we spent about 3 hours but it could have been longer. Very enjoyable port. We enjoyed it much more than the last time we were there.

Hello. We are going on the Azamara Quest on March 16-27, 2014 leaving from Miami. We have booked excursions thru the cruise line except for St. Barts. We would appreciate any information you can give us about this particular port.

Thank you. NBHS

St. Barts was one of our ports on our Quest cruise over Christmas. It's an absolutely gorgeous island. I would recommend doing as we did, taking the one hour taxi tour of the island offered by Azamara. It's a beautiful drive. After there's plenty of time to go swimming either at Shell Beach or, a bit farther away, St. Jean's (by the famous Eden Rock Hotel). The airport at St. Barts is a mini-version of Maho with small aircraft swooping down low.

11828316605_eaec0af860_z.jpgThis is Shell Beach which is within walking distance of the tender drop-off downtown. You must wear water shoes here! At the far end of the beach it's topless/nude bathing but at the entrance of the beach where Do Brazil is located, it's not.

11828611043_67e7c79a6c_z.jpg

Quest in the background. If you climb up the rather steep hill toward the lighthouse, you'll come to top where I took this photo. Behind me was the airport runway. Down the hill and just to the right is St. Jean Beach and Eden Rock Hotel.

Thank you. NBHS

If you are adventurous, rent a car, and explore the many beautiful views and lovely beaches. The rental car people will pick you up at the tender dock and take you to their offices (all are by the airport, only about 5 minutes away), so you avoid downtown traffic. Because it is a French island, you will drive on the same right side of the road as in the US, and the cars will have the steering wheel on the left, as in the US. The roads are well-paved, although narrow, and the island itself is full of very hilly, steep roads.

We had a fun day driving around the island about three weeks ago on our Oceania Riviera cruise.

Taxis are plentiful at the tender dock. We joined two other couples who were on the same tender and took a 90 minute taxi tour. The cost was 90 euros for the 6 of us. This was a few weeks ago.It is a beautiful island and you should explore it. When we returned we walked in the town, looked in the stores and had lunch. Enjoy!

Peggy

On St Bart's you can buy their local skin care products which are fabulous!!

There is a small boutique in town.

They are not cheap, but they not nearly as expensive as some top of the line creams.

I know people who tried them after a port stop and now get them mailed from St. Bart's periodically.

UP until a few months ago you could only get them on St. Bart's. I think now Amazon has a handful of their products.

They have small small bottles which make wonderful gifts (you can do a single or combine). There is a men's line as well.

Thank you. NBHS

Dear NBHS,

Why aren't you posted on the March 16th cruise forum? There you will find others like me who will be on the same cruise as you.

Jack (another North Jerseyite)

Taxis are plentiful at the tender dock. We joined two other couples who were on the same tender and took a 90 minute taxi tour. The cost was 90 euros for the 6 of us. This was a few weeks ago.It is a beautiful island and you should explore it. When we returned we walked in the town, looked in the stores and had lunch. Enjoy!

Peggy

this is exactly what my friend and I did last spring on this cruise. St Bart's is very expensive. but beautiful. Paul McCarney's yacht was in the harbor when we arrived. Most gorgeous yachts you'll ever see! Be sure to wander over to Shell beach, You can climb a hill that over looks the beach nearby on your walk to it, My friend and I stopped to get lunch to go from a French bakery and took it to Shell beach. Beach Chairs were over $50 US a day. There is a nice bar/restaurant there...Many of the cruise people just "hung "out in the shade on the rocks for a few hours and went for a swim.....Organized tours are not necessary on this island. Many taxis are at port offering drives. It is an enjoyable stroll through town to get over to Shell beach. You have plenty of time to do tour and beach visit for a few hours.

Hope your weather is nice!