Balmoral cabins

CRUISIN LINDA

I am thinking of doing a round Britain next year on the Balmoral. Could anyone recommend a good area for a standard outside cabin?

F grade is mainly deck 3 and only have portholes. E grade is mainly at the back and are, I believe, quite noisy. So looking at D grade and above, but don't want to pay to much :o

Also, are all the cabins fixed twin beds? I don't mind that, but they all seem to be L shaped cabins. Is this corect?

I am thinking of doing a round Britain next year on the Balmoral. Could anyone recommend a good area for a standard outside cabin?

F grade is mainly deck 3 and only have portholes. E grade is mainly at the back and are, I believe, quite noisy. So looking at D grade and above, but don't want to pay to much :o

Also, are all the cabins fixed twin beds? I don't mind that, but they all seem to be L shaped cabins. Is this corect?

Hi Linda,

I've sailed on Balmoral many times and have been allocated cabins on different decks and areas. I usually avoid Marina deck, as cabins on that deck can be quite noisy.

I have stayed in the following cabins: 4032, 4094, 4097, 4105, 4130, and all were fine with no problems. As I travel as a solo passenger, some of the cabin numbers I quoted, are probably allocated to single passengers.

In addition, I have stayed in Superior Grade C and B cabins on Atlantic and Main decks. The Superior Outside Cabins on Atlantic deck are good, as they are midship cabins and better quality. I don't spend a lot of time in my cabin and to keep the cost down, I'm happy to stay in a standard outside cabin. On occasions I have been upgraded.

I have no knowledge of the cabins with an L shaped configuration and fixed beds. I know some of the cabins are set up in this way, but I have never personally stayed in one. You would need to check individual cabin numbers with Fred.

I've just noticed we are probably near neighbours. :)

Have fun on Balmoral, it's my favourite ship in Fred's fleet.

Edited by tigernut

The Balmoral was lengthened by inserting a large section in the middle of the ship.

Cabins in that section do not have such good sound insulation between the cabins as the old part of the ship.

I have been able to overhear a telephone conversation through the wall on one occasion. This was in a B class cabin on the main deck.

However that is the only problem . Super ship - well worth trying out. Just dont go for a midships cabin if you worry about noisy neighbours. ( of course there will be engine noise if you are well aft on a lower deck )

Thanks for the information. I have been on Braemar 3 times and loved every one. A friend has recommended Balmoral. I have been tracking a couple of Fred cruises and a couple of Thomson repo cruises for next year. We have just come back from a cruise to Iceland and were supposed to stop at Stornoway on the way up, but bad weather prevented us from tendering there, so I started looking at other cruises that go there and noticed that Balmoral is going there next June.

tigernut - we live in Cowley :)

Hi Linda

I have cruised on the Balmoral three times now and always on deck 4 in one of the Superior outside cabins, midship. These are the 'stretched' ones.

They have a bigger window than the portholes and I think there is a little more floor space.

I have never had a problem hearing the people in neighbouring cabins, but to be honest we are really only in it to sleep. And normally crash out as soon as heads hit pillows!

The only drawback I find with the lower decks is that we have to wait till the other decks disembark. Hey ho thats the class system!

I love the Balmoral and feel instantly at home. So did someone else on my last cruise. She often wandered round the decks with her curlers in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the information. I have been on Braemar 3 times and loved every one. A friend has recommended Balmoral. I have been tracking a couple of Fred cruises and a couple of Thomson repo cruises for next year. We have just come back from a cruise to Iceland and were supposed to stop at Stornoway on the way up, but bad weather prevented us from tendering there, so I started looking at other cruises that go there and noticed that Balmoral is going there next June.

tigernut - we live in Cowley :)

Hi Linda, I'm sure you will enjoy sailing on the Balmoral. I have sailed on all the ships in Fred's fleet, but I prefer Balmoral, as there is more entertainment in the evenings. I've enjoyed some very memorable late nights in the Observatory disco up on Deck 11. The staff are wonderful, as indeed they all are on Fred's ships.

My last few cruises have mainly been with Azamara Club Cruises. They have some very interesting itineraries. I have sailed on so many cruises with Fred, that it's difficult to find ports I haven't already visited several times.

It's a shame you missed docking in Stornaway. I have spent two holidays on the Isles of Harris and Lewis. The islands have the most amazing, pure white sandy beaches, but, sadly, the weather can be very unpredictable.

I live in Bampton, the village famed for the filming of the village scenes in Downton Abbey.

Happy cruising! :)

Regards, Jan

Edited by tigernut

I have been reading through this thread. I would be very interested to have any feedback on entertainment on the Balmoral. I am a solo traveller and thinking about taking the 34 day cruise to the Carib but am not sure if there would be enough entertainment to keep me occupied for that length of time. I am a very young 62 year old who loves dancing, particularly salsa which is why I would love to go back to Havana on this particular cruise

Thanks

• 1 month later...
Hi Linda, I'm sure you will enjoy sailing on the Balmoral. I have sailed on all the ships in Fred's fleet, but I prefer Balmoral, as there is more entertainment in the evenings. I've enjoyed some very memorable late nights in the Observatory disco up on Deck 11. The staff are wonderful, as indeed they all are on Fred's ships.

My last few cruises have mainly been with Azamara Club Cruises. They have some very interesting itineraries. I have sailed on so many cruises with Fred, that it's difficult to find ports I haven't already visited several times.

It's a shame you missed docking in Stornaway. I have spent two holidays on the Isles of Harris and Lewis. The islands have the most amazing, pure white sandy beaches, but, sadly, the weather can be very unpredictable.

I live in Bampton, the village famed for the filming of the village scenes in Downton Abbey.

Happy cruising! :)

Regards, Jan

Hi Jan - interesting to see you tend to cruise Fred and Azamara... I'm relatively new to cruising but have also tended to use these two lines - two on Az one on Fred and another Fred booked. I cruise solo and like the fact that they are both small ships but I found Fred friendlier . I know Az is five/ six star but I didn't find too much of a difference overall did you?

Hi Jan - interesting to see you tend to cruise Fred and Azamara... I'm relatively new to cruising but have also tended to use these two lines - two on Az one on Fred and another Fred booked. I cruise solo and like the fact that they are both small ships but I found Fred friendlier . I know Az is five/ six star but I didn't find too much of a difference overall did you?

Funny you should say that but we are also fans of Fred and Azamara. I love the small ship life and the friendly crew but I also think Fred's crew pip Azamara on that point.:)

I have been reading through this thread. I would be very interested to have any feedback on entertainment on the Balmoral. I am a solo traveller and thinking about taking the 34 day cruise to the Carib but am not sure if there would be enough entertainment to keep me occupied for that length of time. I am a very young 62 year old who loves dancing, particularly salsa which is why I would love to go back to Havana on this particular cruise

Thanks

We have sailed on Balmoral a number of times and met several solo travellers. I'd be confident you will find enough to keep you entertained. They provide dancing hosts as well.