Lots of questions

nb125

We have cruised twice, one on RCI and one on HAL. We are now thinking of trying FO but have a lot of questions.

What are the differences between the ships and is there one to avoid?

Are the Dining Rooms all fixed seatings or is there a flexible option?

What is the quality of the food? I have noticed that the prices are higher, certainly than HAL. Is this reflected in quality?

What is the food like in the buffet and how crowded does it get. Is it difficult to find a table?

Does anyone have a wine list or know the average price of a bottle of red wine?

I know this is a lot of questions and I will be grateful if anyone can answer at least some of them.

The Balmoral is the largest of Olsen's ships and therefore has more facilities. The decor is the same throughout all four ships and the atmosphere is very friendly. The ship to avoid is the Boudicca which sadly seems to have permanent Norovirus. The food quality is excellent in the dining rooms and buffet. You will be allocated a table and that is where you will be seated for the duration of the cruise but there will be a casual dining room where you can sit where you want if you don't like your table companions. A bottle of wine starts off at about £15 which is not too bad. Hope that helps!

Thanks very much for the reply. Is it possible to request a table for 2 in the Dining Room. I agree £15 for a bottle of wine is very reasonable especially compared to RCI where the cheapest is about $35 plus 15% service charge.

The Balmoral is the largest of Olsen's ships and therefore has more facilities. The decor is the same throughout all four ships and the atmosphere is very friendly. The ship to avoid is the Boudicca which sadly seems to have permanent Norovirus. The food quality is excellent in the dining rooms and buffet. You will be allocated a table and that is where you will be seated for the duration of the cruise but there will be a casual dining room where you can sit where you want if you don't like your table companions. A bottle of wine starts off at about £15 which is not too bad. Hope that helps!

What do you mean "permanent norovirus"....? Where did that come from? I have been on Boudicca many times and never experienced it once! Just got off it in September and had a wonderful time.

Thanks very much for the reply. Is it possible to request a table for 2 in the Dining Room. I agree £15 for a bottle of wine is very reasonable especially compared to RCI where the cheapest is about $35 plus 15% service charge.

Yes, you can certainly request a table for 2 and also choose early or late sitting.

What do you mean "permanent norovirus"....? Where did that come from? I have been on Boudicca many times and never experienced it once! Just got off it in September and had a wonderful time.

I suspect you must have been very lucky tiggertom because you only have to read through the pages of this forum or Google 'Boudicca + Norovirus' to corroborate what I say. We've been on it and along with almost every passenger and member of crew have had norovirus. It's most unpleasant and spoils the holiday. Perhaps they have managed to solve the problem at long last - I hope so!

I suspect you must have been very lucky tiggertom because you only have to read through the pages of this forum or Google 'Boudicca + Norovirus' to corroborate what I say. We've been on it and along with almost every passenger and member of crew have had norovirus. It's most unpleasant and spoils the holiday. Perhaps they have managed to solve the problem at long last - I hope so!

You said "permanent norovirus" which is untrue.

You said "permanent norovirus" which is untrue.

Well the ship keeps going in for 'deep cleans' and the norovirus persists so it must be permanent. This has been going on for years. But if you've had a sickness -free holiday that's great. I have a discount off my next cruise on the Braemar because it was my wife's turn to catch norovirus on our last (and I mean that literally!) voyage on the Boudicca.

One of the reasons that Fred. Olsen cruises are more expensive than HAL is that there are very few "extras". Several of the restaurants on HAL have additional charges, drinks are much more expensice and there is always the 15% add-on charge and, when I was on board, there were charges for "premium" poolside sun loungers. In addition a larger proportion of Fred. Olsen cruise are in Europe where fuel and port costs are more expensive than in North America. The two lines are excellent but they are covering a different market.

Fred has the £10 AI drinks package, which we always take. Great value and house drinks are fine for me, and I am pretty demanding when it comes to drinks.

Agree the Boudica does seem to be troubled by Noro.

We have cruised on it twice. Noro on one. Last time in July the Captain really hammered home the need for hand washing.

Cruised on all three RCI, HAL and FO.

All slightly different, but wouldn't touch HAL again. If you cruised on the huge RCI Ships and liked them, well Fred is at the other extreme so you could be disappointed.

If you cruised on say Splender of the Seas size then you may like Fred.

Food is standard across the three lines. Entertainment type shows best on RCI, but overall we choose Fred. Suits us as we are ballroom dancers, but every line different so you pay your money and take your chance.

Have a great time whatever.

We cruised on the smallest RCI ship in the fleet, the Legend. We liked it well enough apart from the overcrowding especially in the buffet. Did not like HAL at all, dark and gloomy and the food was awful. The £10 a day drinks package sound a good deal and I think we would definitely go for that. Do you have any idea what the red wine is like that's included in the deal.

The red wine in the deal is just ok. The White is better and the sparkling very good.

The £10 AI deal allows you also to buy premium drinks at half price.

Our last table companions used to buy a very very very good red wine at half price for dinner.

We also didn't like HAL.

Fred is often compared to an English Country House Atmosphere.

We are both 63 and often are the younger end on Fred.

In our opinion.....Balmoral is the best, then Breamar then Boudica and Black Watch joint.

No climbing walls, no belly flop competitions, no "poor taste" competitions. Lots of Quizes and low key sea days. Entertainment with a show group and guest entertainers.

Nest three cruises booked with Fred so we like them.

Edited by 1160451

There was a lot of norovirus on Boudicca for quite a number of consecutive cruises over a number of months from earlyish 2013 until early June 2013, and the same seems to have happened over the previous winter or two. I find it extrememly difficult to believe that the ship was cleared of norovirus at each turnaround and big outbreaks kept happening by the bug being brought onboard for each consecutive cruise afterwards, as Fred Olsen were claiming. They tried to blame the fact that they sailed from various ports and it was endemic in the local communities, but when it was sailing out of Liverpool there did not seem to be any problems in Merseyside schools according to a number of people I know who teach, which would seem very strange if the virus was in the local community.

I have not heard of any bad norovirus problems since then though, (including last winter), so they may have found the cause. We risked a cruise on Boudicca in July this year as it seemed to have been sorted and there were no problems then that I know of.

The self service restaurant in Boudicca is very small and waits can occur, but it is pleasant enough. Fred's self service restaurants have tablecloths on the tables which makes them better presented places than the on some cruiselines, where self service's are more canteen like. I think their food is particularly good, but we have not been the the big American cruiselines that you mention - just P&O and three other British based cruise lines who have smaller ships. We much prefer open or freedom dining and consider that a big advantage, but Fred's itineraries and cheaper prices compared to other companies who offer more flexible dining on smaller ships often tempt us, so we just use the self service or room service if we want to do so. Fred's ships have self service and open dining, in all their restaurants for breakfast and lunch, but waiter service options are available if preferred.

We have not travelled on Black Watch or Braemar as yet, but have a back to back Braemar cruise booked for Nov/Dec and are looking forward for a few late nights in port and a number of smaller ports that are never visited by the bigger ships.

Edited by tring

"The red wine in the deal is just ok. The White is better and the sparkling very good."

Just to say, it's all according to personal taste.

I like the red wine and the rosé, my other half prefers the white, neither of us particularly like the sparkling.

We always have Fred's all inclusive now. What we do find useful is the half price Guinness, cocktails and good bottles of wine that become more affordable for us. We've worked out that the £10 per day for us is worth the cost (honestly we're not complete lushes!).

I think members of this forum should think very carefully before condeming a ship which has had its problems but now seems to be clear. we have been on Boudicca several times and with another holiday booked for next year and we have never experienced Norovirus. It is certainly not "one to avoid". Please show some restraint and be a little more considered. End of rant and of course my own opinions.

I think members of this forum should think very carefully before condeming a ship which has had its problems but now seems to be clear. we have been on Boudicca several times and with another holiday booked for next year and we have never experienced Norovirus. It is certainly not "one to avoid". Please show some restraint and be a little more considered. End of rant and of course my own opinions.

Then we have to agree to disagree Marius. I hope you have many more pleasant cruises on the Boudicca.