Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Seabourn Cruise Line

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Seabourn Cruise Line Read Luxury Cruise Reviews written by cruisers just like you!

Old November 22nd, 2006, 11:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default St Thomas accomodations

I was looking at Bolongo Bay and the Wyndham which have all-inclusive plans . Has anyone experienced either of these properties ? Is the all-inclusive worth the price ? I may stay at the Holiday Inn pre-cruise and one of these post cruise for 2 nights . I have a Wyndham By Request number which makes that one a little more attractive .

Old November 23rd, 2006, 12:45 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I stayed at the Holiday Inn and it wasn't too bad. The room was clean and the view really made it. They have a nice pool area and bar. They also have a restaurant which was average in my opinion. Just a short walk down the street is the main shopping area with restaurants, Hard Rock, etc. If you need more info just let me know.

Old November 23rd, 2006, 09:08 AM
Cool Cruiser

John III:

Last April I spent one night pre-cruise at Bolongo Bay. I was in an older section, with a balcony overlooking the pool & restaurant. It was okay, like an "older" Holiday Inn room. (johnnycruise may chime in with his thoughts, as well...his earlier experience there wasn't as comfortable as mine.) I didn't book it as all-inclusive. I had dinner at the beach bar nearby, and breakfast the morning I left. It's a bit of a cab ride away from town, but the ocean beach/scenary was very nice, and the people were nice.

For March '07, I've decided to stay "in town" for a couple of days pre-cruise, and found the Mafolie Hotel on TripAdvisor. (http://www.mafolie.com/) I've also reserved a Jeep for those days, to attempt to do a little exploring on my own...that should be an experience, having never driven on the "left"!!

Just my thoughts...
Paul

Old November 23rd, 2006, 10:25 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystal808
John III:
Last April I spent one night pre-cruise at Bolongo Bay. I was in an older section, with a balcony overlooking the pool & restaurant. It was okay, like an "older" Holiday Inn room. (johnnycruise may chime in with his thoughts, as well...his earlier experience there wasn't as comfortable as mine.) Paul
Paul,

Happy Thanksgiving!

johnny

Still hoping you are able to provide a good review of the Coral Mist for those of us who won't get to Barbados until mid-December!

Old November 23rd, 2006, 12:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnycruise
Paul,

Happy Thanksgiving!

johnny

Still hoping you are able to provide a good review of the Coral Mist for those of us who won't get to Barbados until mid-December!
And the same to you, johnny! And I, too, hope to give a good review to you!

Paul
who finds it hard to believe that next week, this time, will be en route to Barbados...!!

Ad Sponsored By
Old November 23rd, 2006, 08:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for the replies !!! I will probably stay at the Holiday Inn pre-cruise as I have a priority club card and they allow a late check out . The menu at the Mafolie looks good but they may not have a vacancy and this is also fewer than 3 nights .The Bolongo is 414.00 / night for all-inclusive and Wyndham 341.00 per night all inclusive . I would prefer the all inclusive but in reality I would not even spend close to that much per diem on food and drink . I hope everyone is having a nice holiday

Old November 24th, 2006, 09:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

Got a reply from the Mafolie and she can give me a run of the house room which would be o.k. It could be anything that is not leased since I am not there the minimum required nights . I like the menu and want to try the coconut fried shrimp in lime jalapeno dipping sauce and I like the view as well . I am not too keen on going into town late at night so I may try that post cruise . If there is an interest maybe the cc'ers can get together for a pre-cruise dinner somewhere the night before! Matt the trip advisor said that roosters were crowing at the Holiday Inn at 3 am is that what you experienced ?

Old November 24th, 2006, 09:36 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

No we did not hear roosters. You do need to make sure that they give you a room that faces the sea. I understand the back rooms are the ones that face the roosters.

Old November 24th, 2006, 09:41 PM
Cool Cruiser

John III

I can't imagine any room at the Mafolie being a bad choice...and the views should be wonderful! Meet me at the pool, and we'll have that pre-cruise dinner if no one else joins us!

I decided against the HI just because the Mafolie was a smaller, unique hotel. Of course, there's always a possibility of roosters in town(!); hopefully, up the hill, they'd get tired....!

Paul

Old November 24th, 2006, 10:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Pre-cruise dinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystal808
John III

I can't imagine any room at the Mafolie being a bad choice...and the views should be wonderful! Meet me at the pool, and we'll have that pre-cruise dinner if no one else joins us!

I decided against the HI just because the Mafolie was a smaller, unique hotel. Of course, there's always a possibility of roosters in town(!); hopefully, up the hill, they'd get tired....!

Paul
I'm up for a pre-cruise dinner and I think I can convince Neil he'd want to go too. We'll have had one night and a day for him to get over jet-lag so should be on semi-local time by Saturday evening. And one has to eat. The menu at the Mafolie does look good.

John, join our roll-call, I think it's dropped to page two.

Jackie
Completed: Golden Princess Alaska, Aug. 2014, Star Princess Alaska, June 2014, Sapphire Princess Hawaii, Nov. 2013 , Golden Princess 3 night coastal getaway, Oct. 2013, Sapphire Princess Calif Coastal, April 6, 2013, Sapphire Princess Mexican Riviera Jan 2, 2010, Star Princess diverted Mexican Riviera (Coastal California) April 27, 2009, Dawn Princess Alaska July 2007, Seabourn Legend Caribbean March 2007, Island Princess Hawaii February 2006,Windstar Barbados to Costa Rica November 2005, Regal Princess Alaska June 5 2004, Windstar Tahiti 2003/4, Sea Princess Mexico 2001, Nieuw Amsterdam HAL Alaska 1997, Crown Dynasty Panama Canal 1994, Vistafjord Cunard Mediterranean 1987, SS Azure Seas Mexico 1983, Sun something or other in the 1960's Bahamas

Cruise photos, including food: http://www.flickr.com/photos/siegelsdroppings/collections/72157600207576398/

Old November 25th, 2006, 05:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Mafolie

Got my reservations at the Mafolie both pre and post cruise and I also made reservations for dinner . The chef said that they could be changed to accomodate what guests that we have that night . No roosters come up to the Mafolie because they end up in the kitchen !!!

Old November 25th, 2006, 05:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

JohnIII,

It looks like a good choice. I have stayed at both the Wyndham and Bolongo and, from the Mafolie Web site, the Mafolie looks superior to either one. I hope you will post comments on your stay when you get home as I have not had luck in the past with St. Thomas accommodations. The restaurant menu looks especially appetizing!

johnny

Last edited by johnnycruise; November 25th, 2006 at 05:54 PM.

Old November 25th, 2006, 06:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default John III/congrats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archipelago
Got my reservations at the Mafolie both pre and post cruise and I also made reservations for dinner . The chef said that they could be changed to accomodate what guests that we have that night . No roosters come up to the Mafolie because they end up in the kitchen !!!
Room AND dinner reserved already? Bravo! Thank goodness we're assured of no rooster calls!

Wish I could stay post-cruise, but must return for work (I hate it when that happens!). Will look forward to a possible pre-cruise dinner with you, if I don't scare you by the pool!

Happy weekend to you!

Paul

Old December 8th, 2006, 03:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Bellavista B&B

We are planning to stay at the Bellavista B&B in March a few days before our cruise. All of my dealings with the owner have been fantastic. She has been friendly and helpful while professional. The price is great to include breakfast. We love staying at B&B's to meet different people and enjoy the personalized service they offer. Good luck on your search!

Old December 10th, 2006, 06:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Brittani MV

Brittani MV looking forward to meeting you on the Legend in March! It will be here and gone before you know it !

Old December 14th, 2006, 11:45 AM
Editor

Default Ritz Carlton

I'd also like to throw this one into the ring -- it's the nicest on the island (though to my humble mind it's not as nice as Caneel Bay on St. John). That's where I'm hoping to stay when I come down for a Seabourn cruise in March.

I wouldn't stay in town (fyi, used to live there so know the island very well!). Go for the day, go shopping, have lunch (fab restaurants) but then come back to the other end of the island....

Ritz Carlton is pretty convenient to Red Hook and the ferry to St. John.

I used to stay in a lovely, lovely b&b called Boynton's (?) back in 2000; it was in an historic old house and right above the 99 steps. But it's out of business. Also tried Hotel 1829, was not impressed. Holiday Inn has a terrible location, right on the main drag, not a beach in site -- I like the Marriott for its location -- its pool is a lot of fun and has a great view of ships going in and out of the harbor.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown
Editor
CruiseCritic

Old December 14th, 2006, 12:20 PM
Cruise Critic Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by editor@cruisecritic
I'd also like to throw this one into the ring -- it's the nicest on the island (though to my humble mind it's not as nice as Caneel Bay on St. John). That's where I'm hoping to stay when I come down for a Seabourn cruise in March.

I wouldn't stay in town (fyi, used to live there so know the island very well!). Go for the day, go shopping, have lunch (fab restaurants) but then come back to the other end of the island....

Ritz Carlton is pretty convenient to Red Hook and the ferry to St. John.

I used to stay in a lovely, lovely b&b called Boynton's (?) back in 2000; it was in an historic old house and right above the 99 steps. But it's out of business. Also tried Hotel 1829, was not impressed. Holiday Inn has a terrible location, right on the main drag, not a beach in site -- I like the Marriott for its location -- its pool is a lot of fun and has a great view of ships going in and out of the harbor.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown
Editor
CruiseCritic
Which cruise in March??

Host Dan

hostdan@cruisecritic.com

Old December 14th, 2006, 12:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by editor@cruisecritic
Holiday Inn has a terrible location, right on the main drag, not a beach in site
Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown
Editor
CruiseCritic
I picked the Holiday Inn mainly because I will be there < 24 hours before my cruise. I am on the Mar 4th cruise.....

Old December 14th, 2006, 01:35 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbird71
I picked the Holiday Inn mainly because I will be there < 24 hours before my cruise. I am on the Mar 4th cruise.....
Likewise as to why I chose Holiday Inn previously, plus I live near the beach.

Old December 31st, 2006, 09:44 AM
Editor

Default Seabourn

March 4...

Has anyone stayed at Olga's?

Carolyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Host Dan
Which cruise in March??

Host Dan