Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

River Cruising Find Others on Your River Cruise! River Cruising Roll Calls

Old February 8th, 2013, 09:33 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default first river cruise -1st question

Hi
we are booked on our first ever river cruise -with Avalon.
Does anyone know ,can you take alcohol on board with you.
Also what are the prices in the bar for lets say a vodka and tonic, or a whisky. I know drinks are included with dinner.

thank you lots

Old February 8th, 2013, 09:46 AM
Cool Cruiser

Yes you can take any beverages on board that you wish (alcohol and non-alcoholic). Only beer and wine are included with dinner. Spirits are not included. Every day Avalon has a drink of the day that was usually around 3.50E. There is also a happy hour every day when alcoholic drinks were 2-for-1. I think that these drinks were between 5 - 6.5E.

Hope this helps.

Old February 8th, 2013, 10:17 AM
Cool Cruiser

thank you for this-just the info I was after.

Old February 8th, 2013, 05:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by the english lady View Post
Hi
we are booked on our first ever river cruise -with Avalon.
Does anyone know ,can you take alcohol on board with you.
Also what are the prices in the bar for lets say a vodka and tonic, or a whisky. I know drinks are included with dinner.

thank you lots
We did our first river cruise with Avalon in august, we took spirits on board, which we'd bought duty free in transit, but didnt drink much of it. Wine and beer were included with dinner plus happy hour prior to dinner, we often went to the lounge after dinner, with our new found friends, so apart from a couple of drinks on a lazy afternoon or a beer on shore at one of the quaint towns, we didnt really ned to bring our own.
Plus theres always champagne at breakfast if you want to start early :-) , think I only saw a bottle open on the first day.

Old February 23rd, 2013, 11:14 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Bringing Booze on Board

Usually if you bring your own booze on board, whether a river cruise or ocean cruise, you're supposed to drink it in your cabin, not in the lounge/dining area where you'd be in competition with ship's booze.

Old February 23rd, 2013, 01:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

Glad you brought this thread forward dellraydoll and thanks english lady for the original question. Was going to post the same today, now I don't have to. I thought the prices would be higher and am pleasantly surprised. For the 2 for 1 can they be shared? I know that sounds cheap but hey this trip is costing plenty and like to save a buck here or there. What about wine in the lounge after dinner, still in the 5-6E range? And I see there's a minibar in your room, is there a price list anywhere for what's in there?

Old February 23rd, 2013, 06:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandjo View Post
Glad you brought this thread forward dellraydoll and thanks english lady for the original question. Was going to post the same today, now I don't have to. I thought the prices would be higher and am pleasantly surprised. For the 2 for 1 can they be shared? I know that sounds cheap but hey this trip is costing plenty and like to save a buck here or there. What about wine in the lounge after dinner, still in the 5-6E range? And I see there's a minibar in your room, is there a price list anywhere for what's in there?
Theres no problem sharing 2 for 1 in happy hours, everyone did it, I had my husband drinking cocktail :-)
There were price lists for mini bars but we didnt use it, we did bring spirits with us but rarely drank any of that. Prices in the bar were very reasonable, yes in the €5 -€6 range, our tab after 14 nights was under €100 and we had drinks each night in happy hour and most nights in the lounge after dinner.

Old February 24th, 2013, 10:30 AM
Cool Cruiser

That's great tassie, was expecting it to be a lot more. Now if I can only convince my wife to drink Scotch. But I know that won't happen.