Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Island Cruises
 
Register here!
Forgot Your Password?


Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old January 3rd, 2011, 11:15 AM
twinklyhb's Avatar
twinklyhb twinklyhb is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: sunderland
Posts: 31
Smile how informal is informal :)

hi we are going on a cruise and stay on the island escape at the end of feb on the colourful coasts itinerary, we have in the past been on ocean village and loved it ,and the informality of it, just how informal is the escape can my husband wear shorts and t shirt as he did on ocean village ? thanks in advance heather
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old January 3rd, 2011, 12:00 PM
ekco's Avatar
ekco ekco is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Manchester, England
Posts: 3,833
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinklyhb View Post
hi we are going on a cruise and stay on the island escape at the end of feb on the colourful coasts itinerary, we have in the past been on ocean village and loved it, and the informality of it, just how informal is the escape can my husband wear shorts and t shirt as he did on ocean village ? thanks in advance heather
No problems there during the day BUT not in the evening. Smart casual or chinos at the restaurants. Let's face it who wants to look at hairy legs over dinner, lol. It probably wouldn't be warm enough in the evening anyway but short/long sleeved shirts/polo shirts should be fine. No need for ball gowns though, dresses or black pants with a dressy top say! Take mix and match and it looks as if you've brought loads of different outfits. Like black and black and black, lol.

There is no formal night so unless your husband really wants to take it you can leave the suit at home. Quite a lot of scope really, I didn't see any jeans at night on our cruise though.

In the day we just wore the usual holiday clothes as if on land, which we were most of the time come to think of it.

Jan
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old January 13th, 2011, 09:10 AM
dutboy dutboy is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: England
Posts: 25
Default

Having loved the informality of OV we are considering a future trip on Island Escape. One large factor in this is the informal dress code. So if you do see shorts and T shirt at dinner it may be me! I go on holiday to be comfy not feel like i am still at work. I know its not everybody's opinion but thats me. I did get a disgusted look once in Plantations on OV from an older chap in smart dress as i sat down in my shorts, tshirt and beach shoes for tea but after a few flashes of my hairy legs he left, maybe for the Bistro where dress was more formal!

The official word on Island Escape as far as i can see is Passengers are asked to cover up and wear shoes or flip flops if coming indoors from the pool, and smart casual clothing is appropriate for dinner in the Oasis Restaurant but other than that, passengers can do their own thing.

So its beachcomber buffet or the dining room for me unlee i do put of polo shirt and trousers and head to The Oasis.
__________________



OV1 West Med Sep 2006
OV2 Caribbean Feb 2008
OV1 Caribbean Dec 2008
OV2 Caribbean Feb 2009
OV2 Palaces & Pyramids East Med Sep 2009
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old January 13th, 2011, 10:35 AM
sodafountain sodafountain is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 489
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutboy View Post
Having loved the informality of OV we are considering a future trip on Island Escape. One large factor in this is the informal dress code. So if you do see shorts and T shirt at dinner it may be me! I go on holiday to be comfy not feel like i am still at work. I know its not everybody's opinion but thats me. I did get a disgusted look once in Plantations on OV from an older chap in smart dress as i sat down in my shorts, tshirt and beach shoes for tea but after a few flashes of my hairy legs he left, maybe for the Bistro where dress was more formal!

The official word on Island Escape as far as i can see is Passengers are asked to cover up and wear shoes or flip flops if coming indoors from the pool, and smart casual clothing is appropriate for dinner in the Oasis Restaurant but other than that, passengers can do their own thing.

So its beachcomber buffet or the dining room for me unlee i do put of polo shirt and trousers and head to The Oasis.
Even some of the worst hotels i have been to, they required people to cover up when eating inside, especially for evening meal.

Don't think i would be too impressed to see you sat in shorts in the evening in the buffet restaurant, lido ok, but surely not inside, think i'd walk out as well.
__________________
__________________________________________
What will be will be.
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old January 13th, 2011, 02:03 PM
ekco's Avatar
ekco ekco is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Manchester, England
Posts: 3,833
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodafountain View Post
Even some of the worst hotels i have been to, they required people to cover up when eating inside, especially for evening meal.

Don't think i would be too impressed to see you sat in shorts in the evening in the buffet restaurant, lido ok, but surely not inside, think i'd walk out as well.

I agree with Sodafountain. Flip-flops and covering up is for in the day at the Beachcomber. You will find the buffet restaurant is dressed with table cloths and place settings so you should return the compliment by making a bit of an effort, such as a shower and shirt and long pants. The waiters don't hang around in overalls either. Even in the Beachcomber at night people get changed as it is part of the evening schedule. When Tomson say 'informal' they mean that there are no Dinner Jackets, ball gowns etc. not 'it's ok to wear beach clothes indoors'.

I think you are just trying to be controversial. Very few of the men wore suits but made an effort and all of the women did. If the women came down in vests and shorts the reaction would be the same, ie. can't be bothered. You wouldn't go out to dinner in a restaurant in this country in a t-shirt and shorts as there would be a dress code.

Our last holiday was in Turkey at an AI and the sight of hairy Russian men in vest and shorts coming down to dinner was enough to put anyone off their food. It's just plain good manners.

Jan
Reply With Quote

Ad Sponsored By
  #6  
Old January 15th, 2011, 12:56 PM
twinklyhb's Avatar
twinklyhb twinklyhb is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: sunderland
Posts: 31
Default

i have to say i would rather my hubby could wear what ever he wanted ,be that shorts etc,after all its our holiday but he will cover up if he has to and wear whatever but what am i supposed to dress my 7 yr old boy in , and does that mean during the day for lunch,breakfast snacks whatever they can wear shorts ,i too loved the ov because of the total informality of it and when i booked i specifically asked if shorts were allowed and was told that as long as they were long shorts for dinner they would be fine in the buffet restaurant dont get me wrong i love to get dressed up ,i just dont enjoy being told when i have to
heather
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old January 16th, 2011, 01:31 PM
Rebel Rouser's Avatar
Rebel Rouser Rebel Rouser is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Suffolk
Posts: 4,165
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinklyhb View Post
when i booked i specifically asked if shorts were allowed and was told that as long as they were long shorts for dinner they would be fine in the buffet restaurant

I wore long shorts to dinner on the IE, but then again as I have short legs they looked like trousers
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old January 17th, 2011, 03:50 PM
twinklyhb's Avatar
twinklyhb twinklyhb is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: sunderland
Posts: 31
Default

Anybody know what my 7yr old son has to wear on board for meals etc, and is he allowed to watch the shows and stuff, and also is the kids club any good he loved base camp on ov .
heather
__________________
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old January 18th, 2011, 07:11 AM
hitman07 hitman07 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 15
Default

So are jeans now recommended for evenings?
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old January 18th, 2011, 10:29 AM
ekco's Avatar
ekco ekco is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Manchester, England
Posts: 3,833
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman07 View Post
So are jeans now recommended for evenings?
Hi and welcome. Yo, ho, ho etc. I see you like your rum

Are you pro or anti? Jeans that is.

Jan
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old January 19th, 2011, 05:32 AM
twinklyhb's Avatar
twinklyhb twinklyhb is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: sunderland
Posts: 31
Smile

so are jeans allowed ????????????? and what can i dress my little boy in ?? please someone answer !!!!!!!!!!!! im getting really confused now shorts no shorts ,jeans or not ,or does it have to be trousers ooooh 5 weeks the excitement is building and which is the best trip to do in morrocco i was going to do our own thing mostly everywhere else but was thinking of doing a trip in morrocco .
heather
__________________
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old January 19th, 2011, 02:20 PM
Rebel Rouser's Avatar
Rebel Rouser Rebel Rouser is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Suffolk
Posts: 4,165
Default

I think jeans are allowed, but peronally I wear chino's as they look a tad smarter than jeans and are more comfortable in the heat.



Children can get away with anything the waiters will spoil them rotten.
We had some friends who went to the nearest beach in Agidir and had some others that done the markets and they enjoyed them both.
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old January 20th, 2011, 04:42 AM
hitman07 hitman07 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 15
Default

Im Pro jeans. im just wondering if it will be ok to wear them in evenings around the ship and for dinner. Yip i like the rum and i hope there are morgans on the ship
Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old January 20th, 2011, 11:51 AM
Rebel Rouser's Avatar
Rebel Rouser Rebel Rouser is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Suffolk
Posts: 4,165
Default

Lots of people wear jeans in the evening and yes there were a few in the Oasis restaurant.
Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old January 20th, 2011, 05:17 PM
twinklyhb's Avatar
twinklyhb twinklyhb is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: sunderland
Posts: 31
Default

thanks for the replys ,thats my hubby happy he says hes wearing jeans , can my son wear shorts or jeans on the nights? hes only 7 ,
__________________
Reply With Quote

  #16  
Old February 9th, 2011, 06:29 AM
gazzy2k gazzy2k is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: manchester
Posts: 38
Default

hi all

I go on the thomson / IE cruises for the informality of them & the casual dress code.
When in the buffet dining i think 3/4 shorts & T shirts are ok, but in the main restaurant's al la carte & silver service. i think trousers & shirt are a minimum.

gazz
__________________
Reply With Quote

  #17  
Old February 9th, 2011, 09:56 AM
davecttr's Avatar
davecttr davecttr is online now
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kent, England
Posts: 4,250
Default

This is from Thomsons Website
"No dress code applies on Island Escape and there is no formal night. On all other ships, a dress code applies during the evening."
So it appears you can wear pretty much what you want at anytime anywhere, It will really irritate some though
Reply With Quote

  #18  
Old February 10th, 2011, 10:42 AM
Rebel Rouser's Avatar
Rebel Rouser Rebel Rouser is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Suffolk
Posts: 4,165
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetheroad View Post
This is from Thomsons Website
"No dress code applies on Island Escape and there is no formal night. On all other ships, a dress code applies during the evening."
So it appears you can wear pretty much what you want at anytime anywhere, It will really irritate some though

Good
Reply With Quote

  #19  
Old February 10th, 2011, 02:14 PM
devonyorkie's Avatar
devonyorkie devonyorkie is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: torquay devon
Posts: 167
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetheroad View Post
This is from Thomsons Website
"No dress code applies on Island Escape and there is no formal night. On all other ships, a dress code applies during the evening."
So it appears you can wear pretty much what you want at anytime anywhere, It will really irritate some though
good i've just been out and bought some string vests and tight shorts bring on the snobs
__________________
Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks


Ad Sponsored By
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:26 AM.


© 1995 - 2014, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.