Good water proof / resistant camera

My wife has a pretty good Nikon DSLR camera that is not water proof. We were looking for a water proof or water resistant camera that we can take with us on our "wet" excursions (like to the baths in Tortola". Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks

Look at the Nikon one, it seems that each company makes one they are all between $150 and $250, the other option if you have an iphone or other smart phone with good cam then you can get a Life proof water proof case.

If you are just looking for a little point and shoot (with video too), I would recommend the Fujifilm XP series. I got the XP100 for about $125, but they have various models for between $100-$400, depending on what you're looking for. They come is several different colors too. My Dad is very into photogrpahy and has a very expensive, fancy schmancy Canon camera, but he bought one of the Fujifilm cameras for his 'underwater cruising adventures' and he loves it. I have one as well and so do several of my friends and we love ours too.

Look at the Nikon one, it seems that each company makes one they are all between $150 and $250, the other option if you have an iphone or other smart phone with good cam then you can get a Life proof water proof case.

I've got a Sony Xperia Z2 mobile phone which has excellent camera (better than iphone, some say) and the phone itself is waterproof. I'm going to rely on it during my next cruise in few weeks time, since I am tired of carrying all sort of electric stuff with me. Photos will automatically upload to Google+ or Dropbox account where I can collect them for making a digital photo album (and printouts).

I also have two Olympus [mju] (I cannot get the proper Greek aphabet attached here for some reason) waterproof and shockproof cameras, which both are excellent for water & outdoor acitivities. I also can give either of them for my husband whom I normally would not trust anything worth more than 10 USD because he has the habit of dropping precious things. They wont break easily, being 1.5 m and 3 m shockproof versions.

I will take a look into the Nikon models! Thanks!

If you are just looking for a little point and shoot (with video too), I would recommend the Fujifilm XP series. I got the XP100 for about $125, but they have various models for between $100-$400, depending on what you're looking for. They come is several different colors too. My Dad is very into photogrpahy and has a very expensive, fancy schmancy Canon camera, but he bought one of the Fujifilm cameras for his 'underwater cruising adventures' and he loves it. I have one as well and so do several of my friends and we love ours too.

Sounds like your dad is like mywife. She has a fancy schmancy Nikon camera, but to get a water proof housing uni for that would cost almost $1,500! Way to much. What model did he get? Maybe I can look into the one he has!

I've got a Sony Xperia Z2 mobile phone which has excellent camera (better than iphone, some say) and the phone itself is waterproof. I'm going to rely on it during my next cruise in few weeks time, since I am tired of carrying all sort of electric stuff with me. Photos will automatically upload to Google+ or Dropbox account where I can collect them for making a digital photo album (and printouts).

I also have two Olympus [mju] (I cannot get the proper Greek aphabet attached here for some reason) waterproof and shockproof cameras, which both are excellent for water & outdoor acitivities. I also can give either of them for my husband whom I normally would not trust anything worth more than 10 USD because he has the habit of dropping precious things. They wont break easily, being 1.5 m and 3 m shockproof versions.

Sounds like the Olympus models may be the way to go. I would look to make sure the Sony phone is good in salt water. I heard someone did a test with it and it came out ok, but I would make sure putting it in salt water wouldn't ruin Sony's warranty.

You can't beat the Olympus TG-1/TG-2/TG-3 series.

I have you used them before? Were you able to actually submerge them? I know some of the cameras I have looked at that says water proof, the reviews are saying everything gets foggy when they are actually submerged!

Sounds like your dad is like mywife. She has a fancy schmancy Nikon camera, but to get a water proof housing uni for that would cost almost $1,500! Way to much. What model did he get? Maybe I can look into the one he has!

He has the same one as I do-the XP100. Attached is my one sad little fishy photo- not many fish where I was that day!

I have you used them before? Were you able to actually submerge them? I know some of the cameras I have looked at that says water proof, the reviews are saying everything gets foggy when they are actually submerged!

We bought a Nikon AW120 for our cruise and it worked beautifully underwater. No fogging and the picture quality is good. I wouldn't say that it's as good as a DSLR, but good for a point and shoot camera. I LOVED not having to worry about getting it wet, and wore it in the water more than a few times.

I have a Olympus Tough 8010. 14 megapixel camera, water proof to 33 meters, can take drops onto concrete from at least 6 feet, and freezeproof down to negative 14. Ive had it for close to 4 years now and love it. By far the best camera I have ever owned.

Of COURSE I have! I did DAYS…no WEEKS of research before I bought my TG-2.. You can look high and low, you won't find a better camera for what you are looking for…

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2420057,00.asp

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2459692,00.asp

We LOVE the Panasonic LUMIX TS25. It is great for underwater as well as land. It takes great (underwater) videos and is so easy even I can use it!

I am sure it is moderately priced as we received it as a gift.

good luck

M

To edit - should have read the above post and just said Ditto! :)

Edited by cruisegirl1

Nobody's mentioned the use of a GoPro. There are many mounting/wearing options and it can give a new perspective on things. I wore it in several positions on the AquaDuck when we went on the Disney Fantasy and was able to capture my daughter's overjoyed expressions as we traveled through the tubes. I also strapped it to my 4 year old's head as he went down the spiral water slide for the little ones. It won't replace a more traditional camera for all situations (dark w/flash, panorama, etc) but it's worth considering as another option.

Nobody's mentioned the use of a GoPro. There are many mounting/wearing options and it can give a new perspective on things. I wore it in several positions on the AquaDuck when we went on the Disney Fantasy and was able to capture my daughter's overjoyed expressions as we traveled through the tubes. I also strapped it to my 4 year old's head as he went down the spiral water slide for the little ones. It won't replace a more traditional camera for all situations (dark w/flash, panorama, etc) but it's worth considering as another option.

I've actually done a LOT of research on the various cameras including he GoPro. For "movies", this is the way to go; but there are other vendors now coming out with similar products. As a camera, not as good unless you get some of the "additional options".