Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > South America

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old March 15th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Confused about Antactica

While research for our trip around South America... I have come across several blogs/TR/reviews about cruises around SoAM/Antarctica.

Our ship does not go into A... closest we get is around cape horn. Just wondering, are there other major cruise lines that includes Antarctica??

Just curious...

Old March 15th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimmyinLA View Post
While research for our trip around South America... I have come across several blogs/TR/reviews about cruises around SoAM/Antarctica.

Our ship does not go into A... closest we get is around cape horn. Just wondering, are there other major cruise lines that includes Antarctica??

Just curious...
Not positive but I am pretty sure Celebrity Expeditions and Amazara cruises go to Antarctica.....or at lease very, very close.

1991- Windjammer Cruises The Flying Cloud; 1999-Carnival Elation;
2002-NCL Sun; 2003-Star Princess and Legend of the Seas; 2004-Legend of the Seas and Dawn Princess; 2005-Celebrity Millennium and Celebrity Century; 2006-Rhapsody of the Seas and Celebrity Mercury; 2007-Carnival Spirit; 2008- Celebrity Galaxy and Jewel of the Seas; 2009-Radiance of the Seas 2011-Freedom of the Seas B2B; 2012-Mariner of the Seas B2B; 2013-Oasis of the Seas; 2014 Brilliance of the Seas B2B

Old March 15th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

Princess includes Anarctica on some of the SA cruises. This year it is Star Princess. We enjoyed our Around the Horn cruise very much

Old March 15th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default OOps, I obviously meant Antarctica.

Do the ships let you off or is it just a "look only" thing?

I'm fascinated by this...

Old March 15th, 2009, 05:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

Kimmy - Next year's South America cruise on Regent Seven Seas Mariner will spend three days cruising in Antarctica. It is the Callao (Lima) to Rio de Janeiro cruise that departs Jan 24, 2010. There are no landings, as such are only done on cruises by expedition vessels. It should be a lovely "drive-by" though.

If you want to learn more about trips on the various expedition vessels, there is a lot of good info on the Antarctica board on Cruise Critic Ports of Call. It was an invaluable source of info for us when we were preparing for our cruise in Antarctica two years ago on the Hanseatic.

Cheers, Fred

Ad Sponsored By
Old March 16th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Kimmy, I found this article on cruises to Antartica. It includes a sidebar of ships making the trip to Antartica. Nice pictures, too.

http://www.forbes.com/forbes-life-ma.../1027/085.html

Old March 16th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
If you want to learn more about trips on the various expedition vessels, there is a lot of good info on the Antarctica board on Cruise Critic Ports of Call. It was an invaluable source of info for us when we were preparing for our cruise in Antarctica two years ago on the Hanseatic.
Funny how all these years, I never even *noticed* there was a board for Antarctica!

Quote:
Kimmy, I found this article on cruises to Antartica. It includes a sidebar of ships making the trip to Antartica. Nice pictures, too.
Peregrina, thanks for that link... that article is awesome. My husband wanted to do a cruise that stops in A. and I thought I really didn't have an interest in it until recently. Now, I want to go!
Btw, are you in news?

Old March 16th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

NCL offers an excursion during Sun's cruise around Cape Horn. - you take 2.5 or 3 hour flight each way and have 5 hours on the ground as I recall. It is too expensive for me to consider unfortunately.

Clay

Norwegian Cruise Lines Platinum
Sailed:PRINCESS Caribbean Princess-Western Caribbean-Jan 2014/NCL Jade- Rome to Venice - April 2013/NCL Gem- Canada - Sep 2012 /NCL Sun - Western Caribbean - Oct 2010 / NCL Sun - South America - March 2010 / Costa Atlantica - Caribbean - Nov 2009 / NCL Star-Mexican Riviera-Thanksgiving 2008 / NCL Jade-Eastern Med-Apr-May 2008 - 50th Birthday Celebration / Celebrity Infinity-Southern Caribbean-March 2006-Atlantis Charter / NCL Sun-Western Caribbean-New Years 2005 / Celebrity Summit-Alaska-August 2003-DDP's 40th Birthday Celebration / Carnival Mardi Gras-Eastern Caribbean-March 1980
98 Days at Sea.....not nearly enough!

Old March 16th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Peregrina,

Enjoyed reading the article you posted. Thank you!

Kimmy,

While not an expedition ship, Celebrity Infinity also sails to Antarctica. We'll be on that cruise next February, and we're deep in research mode!

Mary

Old March 16th, 2009, 08:51 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

We just returned from a cruise from Los Angeles to Miami---around South America and to Antarctica--on Crystal Symphony. It was a spectacular cruise! Antarctica is just breath-taking! Crystal Symphony does a cruise by Antarctica. You do not leave the ship unless you take one of the shore excursions from Ushuaia. These were an all day flight to Antarctica with an opportunity to actually walk on the continent. There were two excursions offered, but neither one went because of the weather. Crystal Symphony spends 3 days cruising Antarctica. The first day goes to Palmer Station where a group of scientists come aboard the ship to explain what they doing in Antarctica. We missed that first day, and our slot at Palmer Station, because we hit hurricane winds in the Drakes Passage and lost the windows in 3 cabins on deck 5. We had to return to Ushuaia to have the windows repaired. The repairs were completed in one day and the Captain got us safely to Antarctica the following day. We spent New Year's Day 2009 cruising by the most spectacular scenery in the world. The second day went went past Deception Island and Elephant Island. It was a way to experience the beauty of the area without sacrificing luxury!

Ricki

Old March 18th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

We took Star Princess to Antarctica last January. It was fabulous! Although we didn't land there, the scenery was unbelievably beautiful. We saw lots of wildlife too, like penguins, elephant seals, whales, and a ton of different birds. We spent 5 days cruising along the coast of Antarctica, and it is something I will never forget.

Old March 20th, 2009, 07:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricki View Post
We just returned from a cruise from Los Angeles to Miami---around South America and to Antarctica--on Crystal Symphony. It was a spectacular cruise! Antarctica is just breath-taking! Crystal Symphony does a cruise by Antarctica. You do not leave the ship unless you take one of the shore excursions from Ushuaia. These were an all day flight to Antarctica with an opportunity to actually walk on the continent. There were two excursions offered, but neither one went because of the weather. Crystal Symphony spends 3 days cruising Antarctica. The first day goes to Palmer Station where a group of scientists come aboard the ship to explain what they doing in Antarctica. We missed that first day, and our slot at Palmer Station, because we hit hurricane winds in the Drakes Passage and lost the windows in 3 cabins on deck 5. We had to return to Ushuaia to have the windows repaired. The repairs were completed in one day and the Captain got us safely to Antarctica the following day. We spent New Year's Day 2009 cruising by the most spectacular scenery in the world. The second day went went past Deception Island and Elephant Island. It was a way to experience the beauty of the area without sacrificing luxury!

Ricki

We are doing this cruise December 2009. From Ushuaia, did you go due east to the Atlantic to Drake's passage, or did you actually cruise "around the Horn"?
Royal Caribbean - 2007 (Transatlantic)
Celebrity Summit - 2008 (Mediterranean)
Holland Veendam - 2009 (So. America & Antarctic)

Old March 21st, 2009, 04:12 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimmyinLA View Post

Just curious...
You need to go on a smaller ship if you do not want to do a "drive by". I highly recommend this. There are many Sales on now for Minerva (A&K), Prince Albert II (SilverSeas) and Fram (Hurtigruten) to name a few.

I can highly recommend the Minerva. Check out Abercrombie and Kents web site.

Last edited by Jade13; March 21st, 2009 at 04:14 PM.

Old March 24th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

Jade 13 it right on Alan Fox is travelling down there writing his experiences for Vacations to Go. Ive' read his last 3 .He says only small ships are allowed & also in small groups .No more than a hundred at a time. They also have to disinfect their boots every time they land . I guess big ships have too many passengers for them to handle the procedure involved. But most stop at the Falklands where there is about 5 species of Penguins. He also says you pay to get there & back by sailing the Drake Passage which has very rough weather. Roy.PS Look up Falklands On South America Forum Theres a lady who lives there who is Known by hundreds of Cruise Critic viewers for her Pics of her Island & way of life & ex advice. R

Old March 24th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Cool Cruiser

Re My above post .Her CC name is Gixer Her column is "Any Questions About the Falklands"

Old March 24th, 2009, 09:01 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnyd View Post
He says only small ships are allowed & also in small groups .No more than a hundred at a time. They also have to disinfect their boots every time they land . I guess big ships have too many passengers for them to handle the procedure involved.
There is an international agreement between countries protecting Antarctica and agreeing that NO country actually owns Antarctica. There is also an agreement with IATTO (International Association of Antarctica Tour Operators) that NO ship/conveyance will allow more than 100 people on land for OTHER than research in a specific area at the same time. By agreement, there can also NOT be two ships in the same location at the same time (more than 100 people) This is to protect the fragile ecosystem.

Old March 30th, 2009, 06:47 PM
5,000+ Club

We sailed on HAL last year from Rio to Valparaiso via Antarctica. It was absolutely spectacular. One of the things that kept us with HAL, rather than Princess, was a comment on the CC from someone who had done this cruise on Princess - While in Antarctica, she could see the smaller HAL ship going places the larger Princess ship she was on, couldn't fit. No, we weren't able to go ashore in Antarctica, but that was perfectly fine for our needs. We had expected this to be a once-in-a-lifetime destination, but while there, we knew we had to return. We're looking at 2011 or 2012.

Last edited by Mary Ellen; March 30th, 2009 at 06:48 PM.

Old April 1st, 2009, 05:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

There are three types of Antarctic cruises. The mass market ships do what we refer to as a "wave-by". They cruise in Antarctic waters and you can see it but do not have zodiac landings or zodiac cruising. They are large ships.

The mid sized ships of which have ice-strengthened hulls and will allow only 100 persons to land at a time. There are usually three landings but in that region of the world weather is the greater factor. Although these ships have more cruise amenities the opportunities for landings are fewer.

The smaller ships are more adventure cruising having a lot fewer passengers, have more and longer landings per person.

Only you know what sort of experience you are looking for. It is up to you to decide. My experience was on a mid sized ship. It was right for me. Ask any questions that you have, I will try my best to answer.

Old April 2nd, 2009, 06:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

We are planning an Antarctica trip for 2011 or 2012. Could you tell me which mid-sized ships you were referring to? I like the idea of some comfort and some landings, too. We've had friends who had a wonderful experience on Regent (with Zodiak landings), and we've loved our Crystal cruises. But I'm not sure that either of those experiences would have been "midszed" -- Regent, maybe?

Old April 2nd, 2009, 10:42 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by franu View Post
There are three types of Antarctic cruises. The mass market ships do what we refer to as a "wave-by". They cruise in Antarctic waters and you can see it but do not have zodiac landings or zodiac cruising. They are large ships.

The mid sized ships of which have ice-strengthened hulls and will allow only 100 persons to land at a time. There are usually three landings but in that region of the world weather is the greater factor. Although these ships have more cruise amenities the opportunities for landings are fewer.

The smaller ships are more adventure cruising having a lot fewer passengers, have more and longer landings per person.

Only you know what sort of experience you are looking for. It is up to you to decide. My experience was on a mid sized ship. It was right for me. Ask any questions that you have, I will try my best to answer.
You are certainly well travelled. I'd like to know what ship you went on, length of cruise and what time of year? In addition, your most memorable personal highlights.

Princess - Ocean Princess - 2012 - Singapore to Sydney
Fred Olsen Black Watch - 2012 - The Baltic, with Norway. Dover to St. Petersburg, via Kiel Canal.
Celebrity Century - 2011 - Auckland to Sydney

CTMA Vacancier - 2011 - Montreal to Magdalen Islands. Amtrak - Toronto to New York
MSC - Poesia - 2010 - Kiel, Germany to NY. Amtrak NY to Niagara Falls, VIA Rail Toronto to Vancouver
MSC - Lirica - 2008 - Genoa, Italy to Fort Lauderdale
Royal Caribbean - Rhapsody of the Seas - 2007 - Honolulu to Sydney
Rivers of Holland Cruise - 2003 - to Amsterdam
Alaskan Marine Highway - 2003 - to most Alaskan ports of call
Star Cruises - Superstar Leo - 2003 - Sydney to Darwin
Norwegian Coastal Voyage - Naruik - 2002 - Bergen to Kirkenes
Angelina Lauro - 1971 - Sydney to Perth. Indian Pacific - Perth to Sydney (Put me off cruising for 30 years!)

P & O - Chusan - 1970 - London to Brisbane, via Africa, India and Sri Lanka (Suez closed).
Chandris Lines - Queen Frederica - 1969 - Sydney to London, via Panama, New York and Rotterdam

Last edited by MMDown Under; April 2nd, 2009 at 10:43 PM.