Should we rent a car for the day or tour?

hokiecruisers

We will be on the island from 9 a.m.-5 p.m. next month and are considering renting a car for the day. We can't decide between doing this and taking a taxi for a tour. We would like to see the entire island, the downtown area and spend some time at a beach as well. How complicated is it to rent the car, drive around and be back on the ship in time? Thanks for any advice you can give! :)

You have the right idea. You can rent a car and see the entire island with plenty of time to spare. Its a small island, be sure and rent a small car, As parking in Gustavia can be tight. The road are good and you should not get lost. I have always reserved a car online and this time of year it should cost about $40.00 including insurance, its now the low season and rates are down. All the cars come from the airport, its about 5 minutes away, the company I use will have a person waiting at the dock with a sign with YOUR name on it.. As for seeing the downtown area you can see it first or last as the tenders drop you off at the start of town. Be sure and take time to watch the planes land, I have seen people get off the plane and kiss the ground so greatful for a safe landing. As for beaches we enjoy St Jean it has calm waters and seaside resturants. Enjoy your time, we do...:) :o

Thanks for the information! We are really looking forward to this island. Can I ask another question? Did you have the need for euros or did the merchants take credit cards? Also, where did you fill the car up with gas before you returned it and did you use a credit card for that?

We appreciate your assistance with our questions! :)

Yes I paid with American Express and did return the car with a full tank...Keep in mind its a small island and very unlikely you will use more than a quarter of a tank...The company I used was Turbe Car Rental you can GOOGLE them and make a reservation, they gave me the best rate..Enjoy :) :o

Yes I paid with American Express and did return the car with a full tank...Keep in mind its a small island and very unlikely you will use more than a quarter of a tank...The company I used was Turbe Car Rental you can GOOGLE them and make a reservation, they gave me the best rate..Enjoy :) :o

We are so looking forward to this island!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
We will be on the island from 9 a.m.-5 p.m. next month and are considering renting a car for the day. We can't decide between doing this and taking a taxi for a tour. We would like to see the entire island, the downtown area and spend some time at a beach as well. How complicated is it to rent the car, drive around and be back on the ship in time? Thanks for any advice you can give! :)

We are going there the end of this month. How did you like it...What did you do and was there something you wished you would have done. Any and all info would be great.

Thanks

We are going there the end of this month. How did you like it...What did you do and was there something you wished you would have done. Any and all info would be great.

Thanks

Well, it's been a while so I will try to recall...we hired a taxi and took a tour of the island. Then we walked to shell beach. It was nice but no shade, so we didn't stay long! Then we walked around the waterfront for a little while. We got the impression that the people on the island, in general, don't like ship tourists. No one was rude, just not very friendly. I would go back and maybe try a different beach! It was, indeed, a pretty island.