Quick shuttle from Vancouver to Seattle

I recall at least one or two posters mentioning they have just walked up and bought a ticket for QS, but reserving makes much more sense to me - you know you need to do it, so why not lock-in your seat rather than risk one not being available???

if your flexible then take their 'express' run as the others make a ton of stops and take much longer to get to Seattle. Since you seem flexible in your time why not take amtrak train and enjoy the view? Much nicer than driving and you could take the evening train and get to Seattle with a nice view of the water? Other bus options are Amtrak bus, or boltbus.com both of which are faster and cheaper than QS

Link to fares. Depends where in Seattle - the piers or Seatac, $99pp; downtown, only $69pp.

Since it sounds like you are in Seattle and looking to do an RT cruise out of Vancouver, I'd look into alternative Greyhound/Bolt buses and the train. They're all cheaper than QS, unless you have missed Saver tickets on Amtrak train, and all go from downtown Seattle. The cost of a cab fare from the Vancouver station to the pier is under CAD$15 - unless you're going solo, a better deal than QS. All other buses are higher quality than QS too - especially Bolt, with fewer seats/more legroom and free WiFi - and the train has the advantage of MUCH easier immigration, all done at the station in Vancouver in both directions so no need to stop at border, get out, schlep suitcases.

I'm with Martincath on this one.

My strategy for getting back to Seattle from Vancouver is like this:

1) book the train on a fare that I can cancel for credit before departure. This is my backup strategy. Being young and spry (ha!), I use Skytrain between the pier and station.

2) glance at one-way car rental rates from Alamo and wonder how many friends are likely to come with me. If they're in the $100 range, I book and roll the credit over to another Amtrak booking in the future. If they're not, I make notes to check 60, 30, 15, 7, 3 and one day out. I'm inclined to use the Costco or Edvantage discount codes. Even when it's just me and my DH, this is my preferred route - it's a lovely drive and the Customs process is almost universally faster at some point in the time range I need to clear in. More on this in a moment.

3) I check one last time before I head to the train station. Same day, I also check for picking up from YVR.

4) if I have to take the train, I've locked in a good fare and Customs is pleasant. If I drive, I have the freedom to pick the time and place of the border crossing that will not suck. Plus I get Chinese food for lunch in Richmond.

I just won't take the bus anymore (Bolt, Quick, Amtrak Thruway, Princess) because the customs processing entering the US can take well over two hours on busy days. It cramps my style. It doesn't recognize my trusted traveler memberships. It is only as fast as the slowest person on your bus, so if you're riding with someone who isn't a US or Canadian national/permanent resident, the bus waits for them to either clear or get refused - this is not always a snap decision. Cruiseline transfers are slightly less problematic in this regard as anyone getting off a cruise in Vancouver has recently been admitted to the US, but since you can book the Canada Place QuickShuttle departures without being a cruise passenger, there's no guarantees there. Same with Bolt or Thruway.

I just won't take the bus anymore (Bolt, Quick, Amtrak Thruway, Princess) because the customs processing entering the US can take well over two hours on busy days. It cramps my style.
Things to also consider about the train....

• the train does not depart from the Seattle airport....you need to add the cost of a transfer or a public transit.
  • There are 2 daily trains. How well does it fit your plane schedule. Do you need to get a hotel room? The buses run much more frequently, which can save you the cost of a hotel.
  • What time does the first train depart in the morning? How early should I arrive at the train station to secure the West window seats? Does this add to the time I need to set aside for the train versus the buses.
  • the train runs slower than the buses in Washington and really slow in Canada.
  • The potential for 2 hours at the border.... I remember when I got off Amtrak in Vancouver.... I was the last seat in the last car.... it took me over 30 minutes to be processed in customs.

Just a note about Amtrak and customs - if you are in business class you are processed first - another nice perk for paying a little extra for the upgrade.

Cheers!

Dennis

• 1 month later...
Things to also consider about the train....

• the train does not depart from the Seattle airport....you need to add the cost of a transfer or a public transit.
  • There are 2 daily trains. How well does it fit your plane schedule. Do you need to get a hotel room? The buses run much more frequently, which can save you the cost of a hotel.
  • What time does the first train depart in the morning? How early should I arrive at the train station to secure the West window seats? Does this add to the time I need to set aside for the train versus the buses.
  • the train runs slower than the buses in Washington and really slow in Canada.
  • The potential for 2 hours at the border.... I remember when I got off Amtrak in Vancouver.... I was the last seat in the last car.... it took me over 30 minutes to be processed in customs.

Once on the train, is it clear which are the West windows? Not familiar with the area or the train. Thanks!

As you face the front of the train...the direction the train is heading, the left side will face westerly...

That's if you're starting in Seattle heading North - cpl100 didn't mention which direction they were taking... plus there's no need to worry about which side to sit when you're boarding as seats are pre-allocated by Amtrak minions at the station - if you ask for a water view you'll get one or you won't (depending how near the front of the queue you are) but each seat has it's own number, so when boarding you're looking for your specific seat rather than a good place to sit.

All seats in the bistro car are always on the west side, since they don't turn the cars around, so if you really want a view and don't get one you can always go sit there.

That's if you're starting in Seattle heading North - cpl100 didn't mention which direction they were taking... plus there's no need to worry about which side to sit when you're boarding as seats are pre-allocated by Amtrak minions at the station - if you ask for a water view you'll get one or you won't (depending how near the front of the queue you are) but each seat has it's own number, so when boarding you're looking for your specific seat rather than a good place to sit.

All seats in the bistro car are always on the west side, since they don't turn the cars around, so if you really want a view and don't get one you can always go sit there.

Yes, starting from Seattle. Oh, there will be 7 of us (all adults with reservations that are for 2 people each + 1). Will it be problematic to sit together?

Does anyone have a feel for how crowded this morning train is on a Thursday?

Does Amtrak assign seats on this train? They haven't on most trains I have been on, including two this month (not the train we are discussing here). They do assign a car, if there are multiple stops along the way. But don't think that applies on this train.

Yes, starting from Seattle. Oh, there will be 7 of us (all adults with reservations that are for 2 people each + 1). Will it be problematic to sit together?

Does anyone have a feel for how crowded this morning train is on a Thursday?

It will probably be almost 100% full. As long as you are all next to each other in the queue and ask to be seated together they should manage - but expect to be given seats in a block, i.e. 2+2 west side/2+2 east side across the aisle. Even for that I suggest you be at the station at least an hour before departure - especially if you want to check bags, where there is a hard cutoff at the 45min mark (i.e. if you have not physically handed the bag over, it doesn't get checked even if you are in the lineup).

Does Amtrak assign seats on this train? They haven't on most trains I have been on, including two this month (not the train we are discussing here). They do assign a car, if there are multiple stops along the way. But don't think that applies on this train.

Always. If there were no assigned seats there would likely be fisticuffs over getting 'the good seats'! The Cascades is completely different from other Amtrak services in rolling stock and how they run it - frankly they'd be better rebranding it... They used to allow preselection of seats in person at the station before travel (we live within 5 mins walk on both ends, so we'd pop over the day before to lock in a seat) but now it's all done at the station at time of departure. Adding a seat selection to the website would save them and their pax time and hassle...

It will probably be almost 100% full. As long as you are all next to each other in the queue and ask to be seated together they should manage - but expect to be given seats in a block, i.e. 2+2 west side/2+2 east side across the aisle. Even for that I suggest you be at the station at least an hour before departure - especially if you want to check bags, where there is a hard cutoff at the 45min mark (i.e. if you have not physically handed the bag over, it doesn't get checked even if you are in the lineup).

Always. If there were no assigned seats there would likely be fisticuffs over getting 'the good seats'! The Cascades is completely different from other Amtrak services in rolling stock and how they run it - frankly they'd be better rebranding it... They used to allow preselection of seats in person at the station before travel (we live within 5 mins walk on both ends, so we'd pop over the day before to lock in a seat) but now it's all done at the station at time of departure. Adding a seat selection to the website would save them and their pax time and hassle...

So, what is the procedure upon arriving at the station? Do you hand your baggage in at the same place/time that seats are assigned? Any customs or immigration lines/paperwork to be handled? Thanks very much for your expert advice.

So, what is the procedure upon arriving at the station? Do you hand your baggage in at the same place/time that seats are assigned? Any customs or immigration lines/paperwork to be handled? Thanks very much for your expert advice.

Different queues - only time we boarded in SEA with checked luggage it was under renovation, so had to follow signs through a bunch of temporary walls - no idea exactly where, but the luggage handover should be not far from the station entrance and before you join the 'wait here for seat allocation' queue. I recommend that you have some queue for each - as few as are needed to handle the bags stay with them, the rest go and line up for seats. As people join the queue behind you, it's polite to mention that you have a couple of folks coming to join you from baggage drop so nobody gets miffed about line jumping.

Queue management is basically zero - at best there will be small signs indicating that business class queue starts here, regular seats here, for each train (there may be others going elsewhere). Asking your fellow pax which queue they are at the back of is the most useful way I've found of establishing which queue is which, as Amtrak station staff are hard to find until close to departure and the speakers are positioned terribly in SEA - announcements echo around the walls and overlap each other such that they are very hard to understand unless you are in a 'sweet spot' equidistant from speakers (in the middle of the room).

Once some station staff actually show up boarding will start - you walk past a guy with a sheet of paper with all train seats marked, he allocates you your seats, you head out and get on the train. There will be staff around at this point to help if anyone cannot board by themselves. There's a small stool to step on and a couple of steps in the carriage entrance.

All the customs & immigration happens in Vancouver - one carriage is called at a time, starting with business class. You get off, collect your checked bags which will be sitting next to the train on the platform, then join the queue for CBSA. Answer the usual questions on the form about stuff you're bringing in (forms get handed out onboard the train so you can precomplete them), and assuming no secondary inspection you'll be out into the station within moments (head straight out the main front doors, turn left, taxis will be lined up). We've been on the last carriage called on most occasions as we roll up to the station at the last minute - it's never taken us more than 30 mins from the train stopping until we open our front door.