Live from France: Epic Float Out!

Hi everyone,

Cruise Critic's own Dan Askin is in France today for a tour of Norwegian Epic and to witness the float out -- a milestone in the shipbuilding process!

We'll whet your appetite here -- http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3319 -- but stay tuned to our News section this afternoon for the full story. I'll be sure to post tidbits from Dan (who's checking in periodically throughout the busy, full day) here!

More pictures please! :D I was hoping they'd do a live broadcast of some kind for the float out but I haven't been able to keep up on the times because school is so intense this summer! :(

She's coming together really nicely though! Can't wait for January 2011! :D

PS... What is up with those red and green balls on top of the forward elevator banks for the Villa Courtyard guests?

As promised, here's a link to our full coverage of today's event in France: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3320

Pretty cool tidbit: Dan got to walk the perimeter of the ship in the same dock that will slowly fill up overnight with 96,000 gallons of water. Before heading to the airport tomorrow and returning to the States, he'll be swinging by the shipyard one last time to see Epic actually floating.

We'll post more pictures as soon as we have them! Also, make a note to check back on Monday, as we'll be publishing a slideshow of snapshots taken during our tour inside the under-construction ship.

Dan's en route and out of touch at this very moment, but I'll ask him to stop by later to answer your question! More pictures are definitely coming :D

More pictures please! :D I was hoping they'd do a live broadcast of some kind for the float out but I haven't been able to keep up on the times because school is so intense this summer! :(

She's coming together really nicely though! Can't wait for January 2011! :D

PS... What is up with those red and green balls on top of the forward elevator banks for the Villa Courtyard guests?

They are actually the satellite radar balls, but they are covered by a tarp in navigation colors probably to show which side each was destined for when they used the crane to lift them all the way to the top. Eventually the covers will be taken off and you will see that the actual color is white.

They are actually the satellite radar balls, but they are covered by a tarp in navigation colors probably to show which side each was destined for when they used the crane to lift them all the way to the top. Eventually the covers will be taken off and you will see that the actual color is white.

It dawned on me last night that they were probably navigation or MTN satellite communication devices but the colors are what threw me off. If they are just covered with tarps then that's fine. If they leave them that color well then that might not be so fine!! :eek: Thanks for the reply!

Nice job CC on the coverage... keep the photos coming!!!! :D

Missed my connection in CDG, so have a little time to post some photos. From left to right, it's the ice bar taking shape (small venue, 17 degrees, parkas doled out to roughly 30 max they tell us), Spice H20's movie screen (looking down from where you might sit -- or dance -- on the amphitheatre setup), and a shot of the pool deck. The stairs you see near the funnel will lead up to Epic's triple threat of waterslides. Slide installation (and testing for some lucky crewmembers) is still months away.

More to come on Monday.

Charles De Gaulle, powerful ruler, HORRIBLE airport.

IMG_1588.jpg.1bac32388e6e5f31335fc9f703c9e5d4.jpg

IMG_1606.jpg.bdd4e052383fbd1ae29f6a5a71dc8cde.jpg

IMG_1628.jpg.228b76ed745951cfd495953548c4f5b5.jpg

Missed my connection in CDG, so have a little time to post some photos. From left to right, it's the ice bar taking shape (small venue, 17 degrees, parkas doled out to roughly 30 max they tell us), Spice H20's movie screen (looking down from where you might sit -- or dance -- on the amphitheatre setup), and a shot of the pool deck. The stairs you see near the funnel will lead up to Epic's triple threat of waterslides. Slide installation (and testing for some lucky crewmembers) is still months away.

More to come on Monday.

Charles De Gaulle, powerful ruler, HORRIBLE airport.

Thank you for all the updates!

Holy C**p! This may be the ugliest ship EVER. Hope the inside is better looking than the outside. UGH!

So glad you found time to come over from the Royal and Celebrity boards just to make your amazing statement. We'll miss you when we sail the Epic...um, not.

CG

So glad you found time to come over from the Royal and Celebrity boards just to make your amazing statement. We'll miss you when we sail the Epic...um, not.

CG

Honestly, is the Epic any uglier than the horribly obese Oasis (or Princess' shopping cart class of ships)?

3607635852_2fcf9a0734.jpg?v=0

rc_oasis_11_20_08_8t.jpg

And speaking of top heavy...

Ship+Photo+oasis+of+the+sea.JPG

The Epic is a supermodel compared to these things. :eek:

Archived