Hurricane Iselle heading to Hawaii

$hip$hape

So glad our POA cruise leaves the 16th rather than this Saturday. According to the National Weather Service it is extremely rare to have two major storms in such quick succession only days apart. Tropical Storm Julio is trailing behind by a few days and is expected to strengthen into a hurricane today and then weaken back down to tropical storm status before hitting the big island.

The weather from Iselle is expected to start going downhill on Thursday am with the worst being Thursday night into Friday in Honolulu. Just when most cruisers will be planning to fly into HNL.

I would be very worried if I had plans to fly in later this week. Just holding my breath for next week that nothing bad is looming on the horizion.

Iselle may be a tropical storm when it hits here on the Big Island on Thursday, but everyone is taking this very, very seriously. They just closed all schools on the Big Island and Maui for Thursday and Friday. We are expecting winds, rain, flooding and thunderstorms. Then, a day or so later we get to do it all again when Julio shows up. Julio is a hurricane and they are predicting it may remain a hurricane when it hits the islands, but it is still a bit early for an accurate forecast.

Right now Kapoho is in the crosshairs for both storms when they hit this island. I will try to keep everyone posted on what is going on.

I'm onboard the Pride of America now. We are on our way to the Kona side of the big island. The locals in Hilo seemed pretty calm about the storm. I saw a few people filling up gas containers.

The lady at the front desk says we are proceeding with the itinerary for now. She says they're keeping an eye on the storm and that the ship can divert to the north east if the storm comes our way while we're in Kawaii. But no changes now.

Everyone on board is clearly in vacation mode. No panic or my craziness yet. As we will be heading to the east as Iselle comes from the west, I think we will avoid much of the mess.

I'm onboard the Pride of America now.

Thanks for the update ... hope you have smooth sailing to Kauai tonight and good weather there!

Enjoy the rest of your cruise, and hopefully by your return to Oahu, Iselle will have settled down or changed direction.

p.s. Kapaho - thanks for keeping us posted. Hopefully the impact from these storms will be minimal ... stay safe!

Edited by Susan-M

We are anchored off Kaila Kona now. Skies are partly cloudy, and seas are calm. The captain updated the guests regarding the hurricane, which has been downgraded to a Cat1 and losing strength fast. He reiterated that we are staying on course and will continue watching for updates and will keep everyone abreast of new info.

We are going to be shopping today, no rental car. Task for me is gorge on a huge shave ice.

We are going to be shopping today, no rental car. Task for me is gorge on a huge shave ice.

That sounds like a perfect plan! I would suggest visiting the Kona Brewery as well :) Hope you guys continue to have sunny skies and smooth sailing.

We are anchored off Kaila Kona now. Skies are partly cloudy, and seas are calm. The captain updated the guests regarding the hurricane, which has been downgraded to a Cat1 and losing strength fast. He reiterated that we are staying on course and will continue watching for updates and will keep everyone abreast of new info.

Happy to hear about the downgrade. (Funny, we are always looking for upgrades when it comes to cruising.):D

Iselle just reformed and strengthened and they just changed our warning within the last hour. We are now under a Hurricane Warning here on the Big Island rather than a Tropical Storm Warning. The other islands remain under Tropical Storm Warnings and Watches. Seems she is getting stronger and has picked up speed. I'm glad the POA is having a nice day in Kona today. I am a bit worried that they will not be able to dock at Nawiliwili on Kauai tomorrow.

Iselle just reformed and strengthened and they just changed our warning within the last hour. We are now under a Hurricane Warning here on the Big Island rather than a Tropical Storm Warning. The other islands remain under Tropical Storm Warnings and Watches. Seems she is getting stronger and has picked up speed. I'm glad the POA is having a nice day in Kona today. I am a bit worried that they will not be able to dock at Nawiliwili on Kauai tomorrow.

You will be fine in Kauai tomorrow, enjoy the day. We are not expecting the storm until late tomorrow, that translates to 24 hours later for Kauai. Have fun and don't stress!

iselle may be a tropical storm when it hits here on the big island on thursday, but everyone is taking this very, very seriously. They just closed all schools on the big island and maui for thursday and friday. We are expecting winds, rain, flooding and thunderstorms. Then, a day or so later we get to do it all again when julio shows up. Julio is a hurricane and they are predicting it may remain a hurricane when it hits the islands, but it is still a bit early for an accurate forecast.

Right now kapoho is in the crosshairs for both storms when they hit this island. I will try to keep everyone posted on what is going on.

stay safe.

We are starting to see and feel the effects of Iselle here on the Big Island. Woke up this morning to sunny and breezy conditions. Weather has deteriorated quickly and we now have heavy bands of rain and very gusty winds. They are saying that the major forces will hit here around Hilo between 7 and 8 this evening, and it is only noon here now.

I am watching a local news conference now, and as the storm moves up the islands, they are basically closing down Oahu tomorrow as that is when they expect the storm to hit there. This means that Saturday looks pretty good for the POA to remain on schedule.

More updates as long as I have power and internet....LOL.

We are starting to see and feel the effects of Iselle here on the Big Island. Woke up this morning to sunny and breezy conditions. Weather has deteriorated quickly and we now have heavy bands of rain and very gusty winds. They are saying that the major forces will hit here around Hilo between 7 and 8 this evening, and it is only noon here now.

I am watching a local news conference now, and as the storm moves up the islands, they are basically closing down Oahu tomorrow as that is when they expect the storm to hit there. This means that Saturday looks pretty good for the POA to remain on schedule.

More updates as long as I have power and internet....LOL.

Did you feel this morning's 4.5 quake which I believe was located in the Kohala area.

Stay safe...

Edited by Astro Flyer

I don't know of anyone here on the Hilo side who felt the earthquake this morning. Unusual, as usually they are felt island wide no matter where they occur. I think the shallow depth was a factor.

Still getting bands of rain here...and wind gusts and I can see super high surf crashing onto shore in the distance.

I don't know of anyone here on the Hilo side who felt the earthquake this morning. Unusual, as usually they are felt island wide no matter where they occur. I think the shallow depth was a factor.

Still getting bands of rain here...and wind gusts and I can see super high surf crashing onto shore in the distance.

Hunker down & stay safe...we've lived in Kihei & still have a 'hale' there but it's not as much in harms way as you are on the Big Island. No hurricane has hit the Big Island and now it's possible there will be 2 only a few days apart. :(

Edited by Astro Flyer

Praying for all of you there and on the other islands too and will continue to do so until after, is it, Julio?, passes by too, I hope way north of you guys!

Pooh